[Lapg] [Scpg] Need cuttings of several plants

Dan Hemenway permacltur at aol.com
Wed Jun 9 10:11:12 PDT 2010

Echo has both kinds of 'spinach."  I strongly recommend Malabar spinach and Chenopodium giganteum as greens for hot weather.  Also, Moringa sp. can be grown as an annual or will be perennial where Okinawa spinach is perennial (comes back from the ground if knocked back by frost.  Most of ours resprouted after an especially severe winter here.)  Moringa is and C. giganteum are undoubtedly the tops both for nutrition and for flavor. Moringa comes on strong after the annuals have bolted.  Pinching back only delays bolting for so long.  If you get extra Okinawa spinach, I'll send seed of C. giganteum in exchange.  I've got about a quart of the tiny seed on hand.  Depending on where your friend lives, various species of Bidens are outstanding greens--a common weed around here and reportedly high in nutrition.  One party told me that it has anti-viral action, but I've not been able to confirm that.  Generally, any leafy greens that rabbits will eat more than once are edible by people (except for a few obscure species of the deep tropics.)  Moreover, many garden vegetables grown for other parts have edible leaves, e.g., common beans, squash, carrots, etc.  Sweet potato leaves are an outstanding potherb, and plants bear more tubers if the vines are pinched back after they have put on some growth.  This also keeps the vines from overwhelming their neighbors.  Ornamental Celosia plants have edible leaves, tolerate hot conditions, and of course produced attractive flowers nd foliage.  They can be successively planted for greens late into the summer and early fall, after which cool weather greens will be producing.

Dan Hemenway