[Lapg] Letters from Jordan - Jordan Welcomes the 2011 International Permaculture Conference & Convergence IPC10

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Jun 18 07:46:29 PDT 2010

Letters from Jordan - Jordan Welcomes the 2011
International Permaculture Conference &
Convergence by Craig Mackintosh June 13, 2010

http://permaculture.org.au/2010/06/13/letters-from-jordan-jordan-welcomes-the-2011-international-permaculture-conference-convergence/

The famous Wadi Rum desert region, site of the 1962 Laurence of Arabia epic,
will be hosting the September 2011 IPC 10 Convergence
All photographs © copyright Craig Mackintosh

Every two years, members of the international
permaculture community cooperate to organise an
International Permaculture Conference (IPC). Each
meeting is held on a different continent, and is
made up of two separate events, serving two
distinct purposes. The first meetings of the
event, the conference, is aimed at permaculture
'evangelisation', where key people of the region
are invited to hear presentations about
permaculture that are particularly relevant to
them, and between meetings they can converse and
network with the many leading permaculturists who
attend. It helps spread permaculture in the
respective regions. The second phase is the
convergence, an entirely in-house get-together
where permaculturists from around the world can
network, share experiences and knowledge, and
develop strategies for fast-tracking permaculture
uptake worldwide.

Participants at the convergence also discuss and
vote for their choice for where the next IPC
should be held. The last IPC was held in Oct/Nov
2009 in Lilongwe, Malawi, Africa, and at that
event Jordan was awarded the privilege of hosting
IPC10. It will be the first time the IPC will be
held in the Middle East.

As such, Geoff and Nadia Lawton have been working
with their Jordanian contacts to develop support
for the event. And, as you'll see from what I
share below, this effort is proving very fruitful
to date. We now have some of the most influential
people in the country assisting us in our plans
to organise a highly successful IPC10.

The Princess and the Permaculturists

Jordan is officially The Hashemite Kingdom of
Jordan. It is a constitutional monarchy. As such,
getting the endorsement of the Jordanian Royal
Family was high on our agenda. If this
endorsement is secured, it virtually eliminates
bureaucratic problems with local officials who
may not comprehend the importance of our work for
their nation.

What better way to gain Royal support than to
approach Princess Basma bint Ali, an avid
supporter, no, initiator, of environmental and
sustainable development programs.

>From left to right: Lesley Byrne, Princess Basma bint Ali,
Nadia, Geoff and Latifa Lawton, in Amman, Jordan

It's not every day you get to meet a princess,
but there we were. Geoff and Nadia Lawton and
myself - from the Permaculture Research Institute
- and Lesley Byrne of Kids are Sweet
International, all went along to talk to Princess
Basma bint Ali of Jordan about IPC10. We were
scheduled for a one-hour meeting, but the
discussion proved so interesting the appointment
stretched to three hours.

The Princess was initially cautious in
conversation with us. She afterwards explained
that this was due to the many profit-oriented
organisations who approach her with quasi-organic
concepts that fall short of the mark and are
ultimately detrimental to people and place. I was
personally very pleasantly surprised to hear her
stressing her belief that organic agriculture, in
the forms we generally observe, typically misses
the point, failing to take a full, holistic,
relationship-centric view of the natural world.

The Princess has been extremely active on the
sustainability front. Amongst her many efforts
(she, for example, pushed for and secured a
staged requirement that mandates and assists all
Amman residents into water harvesting), thirteen
years ago she conceived the idea of a Royal
Botanic Gardens that would showcase biodiversity
preservation techniques. The RBG consists of
approximately 800 hectares of land overlooking
the King Talal Dam (map), approximately 25
kilometres north of the capital, Amman. This is
no usual Botanical Garden, as the Princess
explained - but rather a research and educational
station trialing water harvesting techniques
(including swales, gabions, etc.), plant guilds
and much more, with a vision of water use
maximisation, native species preservation, soil
building, reforestation and landscape repair.

A paragraph from a book on the RGB that she
kindly gave me provides insights into her vision,
one she has unwittingly - until now - shared with
permaculturists:

Drought is not just a matter of bad luck in
rainfall: clearing the land for agriculture,
animal forage and construction actually makes a
landscape inhospitable to rain. Of all the
available water in the air 15-20% falls as rain -
if it can condense on organic nuclei heavy enough
to fall from the air. Of this 80-85% of condensed
'leaf water', approximately 20% evaporates again
into the air; approximately 50% is transpired by
plants and forms clouds - if it can condense on
organic nuclei. 10-15% re-enters groundwater to
become streams & river. Trees produce more of the
water in rivers than rainfall does. At least 50%
of every cloud is composed of condensation from
trees.

In addition to being surprised and suitably
impressed with the Princess' insights, I was also
promptly battling feelings of frustration! This
was due to the fact that we completely shared the
Princess' concerns about plant-focussed 'organic'
agriculture and it was thus an unexpected and
almost comedic turn of events for us to be on the
defensive in this regard!

But, after a lively discussion of various
projects occuring worldwide, including what is
arguably the largest land regeneration project in
the world, the Princess began to discern that we
were wholly on her side of the fence on these
issues! In short, we were all speaking the same
language, and by the end of the meeting she fully
recognised this.

We not only left with a royal endorsement for the
2011 conference, but two of her staff will now
also be taking a PDC in Jordan under Geoff in
October 2010!

NCARE (National Centre for Agricultural Research
and Extension) are well and truly on side

Geoff and Nadia Lawton stand with the head of NCARE
and a few of his team members

People who have watched the updated Greening the
Desert II video may recognise Mohammed Ayesh
(above, at right), a Water & Environment
Researcher who spent considerable time at the
original Greening the Desert site in the Dead Sea
valley (the lowest place on earth at 400 metres
below sea level), where Geoff transformed a piece
of salted desert landscape into a productive food
forest and garden system in three years. Mohammed
researched the impact of Geoff's permaculture
implementation, resulting in his becoming an avid
supporter of all things permacultural. He even
published a book in Arabic on the topic (see
video link above for more on this), circulating
it to hundreds of people in the agriculture field
in Jordan, and, despite his meek-mannered
personality has been persistently pestering his
boss, the head of this Jordanian government
agricultural department, to do what he can to
support the growth of permaculture in Jordan.

Just after we arrived in in the country last
week, as we were travelling to a consultancy in
Wadi Rum, the famously beautiful desert region in
the deep south of the country, Mohammed
repeatedly tried to contact us. As it turned out,
the head of NCARE wanted to meet with us, for
reasons unknown.

We found time to meet with them later in Amman,
discovering they had got wind of our intention to
stage the IPC in the country, and wanted to see
how they could help. We had intended to solicit
their support, but they beat us to it!

NCARE talks to Geoff and Nadia Lawton about organising IPC10.
Geoff taught a PDC to 18 NCARE staff in 2003

NCARE committed to organising accommodation for
conference attendees - with options for different
budgets. They will arrange a conference hall, and
provide for our technical needs (projectors,
etc.) and, wait for it, they will in addition use
their influence to clear all visas! Considering
we anticipate many arriving from two-thirds world
countries, who can often get rejected, this
latter assistance is particularly significant.

Conference and Convergence Locations and Dates

We're still ironing out the details, and we
welcome your input, but the tentative plans for
the two meetings are as follows:

The conference would be a one day event - but
possibly two - held in the capital of Amman. The
opening dinner would be the evening of Friday
September 16th, 2011. A full conference day would
follow on September 17th, with presentations from
several keynote speakers, focussing on issues
relevant to dryland regions. The 18th would be a
leisurely day of travel to Wadi Rum, the site of
the convergence, 285 kilometres (or 3.5 hours) to
the south. We would arrange buses for this trip.
The convergence would be a three-day event, held
in a fantastic campsite amongst some of the
world's most beautiful desert scenery, complete
with Bedouin tents, solar lighting and amenities.

The Wadi Rum campsite is 45 minutes from Jordan's
only port, Aqaba on the Red Sea, and one and a
half hours from the ancient city of Petra (BC600)
- of Indiana Jones and the last Crusade fame, and
former home to the more deservingly famous
Nabataeans who were experts in water harvesting.

In addition to permaculture group events, we
intend to have a few Bedouin share some of their
traditional knowledge - on such subjects as
herbs, weaving, fermenting (yoghurt), etc.

Jordan welcomes the permaculture world

This is personally my second visit to the
country, and, like Geoff, I'm starting to feel
right at home here. The people are full of smiles
and very welcoming. (I don't know how many
"Welcome to Jordan"'s I've received!) It is a
region of cultural diversity, rich heritage and
incredible historical significance.

There's more to tell from this trip, so watch for
another post or two - but we're excited about the
potential to continue to build on the tireless
labours of Geoff and Nadia and many others for
the people of Jordan and the Middle East. These
nations are the most water stressed of any, and,
as you can see, they're eager to find solutions.
It's a pleasure to work for them.

With this post I am passing along a big "welcome"
from the generous, warm-hearted people of Jordan.
The people here want you to be part of this
solutions-focussed effort for the region!

Stay tuned to this site, as in the coming weeks
we will provide additional finalised details, and
provide you with the ability to book your place.

Photos of Wadi Rum Convergence campsite (more pictures of Wadi Rum below that):