[Lapg] The Sustainable Economies Law Center Wants to Help You Share By Bernice Yeung

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Jul 10 07:17:37 PDT 2010

The Sustainable Economies Law Center Wants to Help You Share
Janelle Orsi's Sustainable Economies Law Center
seeks to promote a more humane economy.
By Bernice Yeung
http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/the-sustainable-economies-law-center-wants-to-help-you-share/Content?oid=1878987

Berkeley attorney Janelle Orsi is the co-founder
of the Sustainable Economies Law Center (SELC),
which aims to help social enterprises,
worker-owned co-ops, and other mission-oriented
enterprises sort through legal red tape. The
co-author of The Sharing Solution, published by
Nolo in 2009, Orsi also has a private legal
practice focused on mediation and helping people
share housing, cars, land, and other commodities.
We talked to Orsi about the legal gray areas that
social entrepreneurs can find themselves in, and
what SELC is doing about them.

What is sustainable economies law? Why did you create a center on this topic?
Jenny Kassan and I founded SELC so we could start
to enable a different kind of economy. [Editor's
Note: Jenny Kassan is a contributor to this
publication.] The economy that we envisioned is
not so much based on traditional buying and
selling and the owning of things, but more on new
kinds of transactions like sharing and barter,
exchange, cooperative ownership, systems of
borrowing, and lending of goods. These are things
that - because people are not used to doing them
and they're not a part of our normal livelihoods
- the legal system is not set up for them, and
there are a realm of unanswered questions.

What is SELC currently working on?
We now have four law-student interns with us all
summer and we are doing a few different things.
We're creating a library of resources for urban
agriculture, and answering common legal questions
for people doing urban ag - for example, how to
get land, how to overcome zoning barriers, how to
deal with liability issues and insurance, whether
there can be property tax incentives for growing
in urban areas, how you can sell food you grow in
your yard, how a for-profit urban farm can use
volunteer labor because they often do but it
often violates labor law. We've taken on a few
clients, and a handful of organizations that do
urban farming have come in for consultations.

What other issues does SELC work on?
We have five programs. Another program involves
helping set up worker-owned cooperatives. We also
have a program called Community-Supported
Entrepreneurship that deals with questions like,
"How can a small, local business finance
themselves using local resources rather than
venture capitalism or angel investors?" We are
creating a FAQ about how to raise money
creatively for a small business, and we are
looking into ways that businesses can raise money
using gift certificates, or through a
subscription to a farmer's season of harvest, to
use an urban ag example.

One thing that Jenny and the interns did is write
a letter to the Securities and Exchange
Commission requesting an exemption from
securities laws for investments under $100. So
say I wanted to start a coffee shop and I need
$20,000 to get it going, I could put the word out
on the Internet or through friends to get 200
people to invest $100. If the SEC responds
positively to our letter and allows small
businesses to get small investments, it could
revolutionize how businesses raise money. And the
people who provide the funding would become
investors and own a piece of the business; they
would have some equity in it. Right now, there
are very few exceptions that allow people to
raise money in that way and in order to do it,
you have to go through a huge compliance hurdle
that involves lots of disclosures, and which
costs a lot of money.

The fourth program deals with local currencies
and barter. We're creating a how-to guide to
bartering because there are two legal issues. One
is tax issues, and knowing when you are and are
not obligated to pay taxes on a barter
transaction. We're trying to develop guidelines
for that. The other legal issue is employment
laws. If, for example, you work in exchange for
food, then under typical labor and employment
laws, you are technically considered an employee,
even if you do it voluntarily. The farm owner
could be on the hook for not following employment
laws.

We are also dealing with a gigantic question
around local currencies and how to regulate them.
We have a client, Davis Dollars, where they've
printed local currency for the city of Davis, and
they've gotten businesses on board with accepting
it. This gives people an incentive to spend
locally and they make the local currency cheaper
than cash, so $10 Davis Dollars costs $9.50. They
are putting more money in circulation in a small
way. There are different legal issues - whether
the administrators qualify for tax exemption
because they would like to be a nonprofit, and
whether this organization is technically a bank
and should be regulated like a bank. We are doing
a survey of how currencies around the world are
structured and how they comply with regulations.
We haven't really found a good model yet for a
local currency system. This is a huge area that
needs a lot of attention.
Our fifth program relates to housing. We call it
the Shared, Sustainable, and Slow Housing
program, and we want to create more resources to
help develop affordable housing and create shared
housing arrangements. Hopefully, we can create a
resource library on shared housing.

What should businesses doing this kind of work know that they might not?
Most social entrepreneurs are going to run up
against interesting legal questions because they
are engaged in an activity that puts them in a
legal gray area, such as the gray area between
who is the employer and who is the employee when
you're running a worker-owned co-op. There are a
whole list of gray areas for social enterprises
because it falls into this area of being a
nonprofit and a for-profit. In many cases, people
will be okay because everyone is happy, and no
one tries to bring a lawsuit. But we do want
people to do it legally and to be comfortable
doing it, and to not run into problems later on.

Is there a reason you are doing this work now?
It feels like there's an explosion of people who
are interested in doing these things, partially
because of the economy and because people are
realizing how much we are destroying the planet,
and those things are coming together, causing
people to look at alternatives. Urban ag is
booming - you see it in the news constantly - and
then it feels like the local currencies and
barter is starting to grow. And there's the whole
movement around social enterprise, and new,
creative business types have been created to deal
with the big barrier related to financing.

What is your ultimate goal?
We want to create tools that will enable a more
sustainable and just and sharing alternative
economy, and to get those resources out there so
that anybody and anyone can tap into these
resources and get their questions answered
quickly. We'd also like to be more of a voice in
the policy-making realm, and identify how policy
could be more friendly to things like urban ag
and shared housing.

What makes you personally interested in looking at these issues?
It occurred to me that sharing is such a powerful
thing because we have this wealth of resources of
housing, skills, cars, food, household goods.
It's just that the way resources are distributed
and used is very inefficient. So sharing makes
sense. I formed my law practice to enable people
to share, and lot of what I do is help people
decide what kind of organization to form, if they
want to create one, to do that. I also help them
formalize agreements to, for example, share
ownership of a house, and do it without violating
the law.

Originally, I wanted to work with youth and
become a juvenile defender, and I thought I would
fight for youth one at a time and keep them out
of the system. And then I realized that working
in the community to provide stable housing, work
opportunities, learning opportunities, creating
organizations and alternative economic options is
what is actually going to keep them out of
juvenile hall.

		Daily Journal
California Lawyer Article
www.dailyjournal.com
	 © 2010 The Daily Journal Corporation. All rights reserved.

	 Message from sender:	 this is the article I was telling you about.

July 01, 2010
	 Profits with a Purpose		 by Bernice Yeung

Last year, an alternative-energy advocate
approached Oakland lawyer Jenny Kassan with an
interesting predicament. The client had sought
out Kassan because her legal specialty is what
she calls "sustainable economies," an approach
that helps social entrepreneurs and
mission-oriented community groups wade through
transactional and regulatory laws that were not
designed with them in mind.

This particular client wanted to equip a local
school with solar panels that would eventually be
donated to the institution. But the solar
enthusiast could neither afford to install the
panels himself nor solicit investments from the
public without running afoul of securities laws.

To get around this hitch, Kassan, who works in
the Katovich Law Group, devised a solution that
lets donors join a club that supports solar power
for the school, instead of having to invest in a
company. "It's a different model of how to bring
money into a project up front," Kassan says. In
return for their contributions, the members
receive benefits such as discount coupons from
local green businesses.

This kind of creative approach to the law is the
idea behind the Oaklandñbased Sustainable
Economies Law Center (SELC), which Kassan
co-founded in December with Berkeley sole
practitioner Janelle Orsi.

Last month, the SELC brought in its first class
of law student interns to research and help
businesses address the legal barriers associated
with altruistic collaborative enterprises.
Examples of such efforts include land sharing for
community gardens; business cooperatives; and
community-owned assets like solar panels. These
kinds of enterprises appear to be increasing,
trade groups say, because sharing resources is
both economical and environmentally sound.

The SELC could see its niche grow in relevance
with the passage of two bills before the
California Legislature. This spring, legislation
was introduced (AB 1871) that would amend
insurance laws to make it easier for people to
lend their vehicles to car-sharing pools.

Another bill (SB 1463) would create
"flexible-purpose corporations," which would
allow businesses to codify their intent to pursue
social or environmental good while also turning a
profit.

For example, existing California corporations
could adopt the new model to formalize their
social mission and emphasize purpose over
profits. "A corporate board has a fiduciary duty
to shareholders, and generally, what is seen as
in the best interest of the company is maximizing
profits," explains Susan MacCormac, a partner
with Morrison & Foerster who helped create the
model. "This would allow what is in the best
interest of a corporation to be broadly defined.
It would give companies broader discretion." And
if a socially conscious business is sold, its
charitable way of doing business can be preserved.

Organizations that may have been founded as
nonprofits could use the new structure to gain
access to capital markets. And nonprofits that
happen to be drawing too much revenue could
convert to a flexible-purpose corporation to
eliminate potential tax and legal complications.

The SELC has been following the legislation, and
Kassan expects that the center will help
businesses and nonprofits convert to
flexible-purpose entities if the bill passes (a
hearing on the legislation is slated for the
fall).

Until then, co-founder Orsi says, the
organization will continue to look for creative
legal work-arounds when counseling
collaboration-oriented clients.

"There are so many legal barriers to something as
simple as sharing a car," says Orsi, who is also
co-author of The Sharing Solution (Nolo, 2009).
"There are barriers to people sharing yard space
in order to grow food. So I decided to break down
those barriers and sort those issues out."