[Lapg] water rights

CURTIS BLANKINSHIP curtis.blankinship at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 14:17:41 PDT 2010

Gang
We at earthwise organic farms are having a major problem with water rights
on the 640 acres we own in Joshua tree. I will send more info soon. You may
run into the samee problems in your area since water has become the new oil.
The jist of it is the local water board wants to monitor the wells on the
farm even though we own the water rights. They can easily monitor the
aquifer from  a a test well of their own. Even if we wanted to grow rice in
the desert or sell water to nestle like corporate farms they could still
shut us down if we were taking too much water from the aquifer we share with
the community.
This issue is discussed in the book sustainable cities. In one of the
articles it describes how if Los Angeles had spent money on conservation
methods instead of charging rate payers for additonal infrastructure
they would be time and money ahead. Instead the money goes to a few large
corporate developers. They have recharged the aquifer out here with water
that has nitrate levels from fertilizers.Its like the musical the music man
where they  sell the town band instruments they dont need.
Coming soon to your town.
Please spread the word on this.
See usgs.org for more info on nitrate levels in aquifers.
Curtis