[Lapg] methane digesters are the sh...t

David david at h4c.org
Sun Aug 22 11:15:10 PDT 2010

Curtis,

On 8/21/2010 12:00 PM, lapg-request at arashi.com wrote:
> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:02:52 -0700
> From: CURTIS BLANKINSHIP<curtis.blankinship at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Lapg] methane digesters are the sh...t
>
> This is a link to a small scale methane digester. the extra water tank is used to create pressure to use the gas for cooking or powering a generator. Does everyone get that we can produce power from our own excrement with very little pollution[?] This would get us back within earth's cycles...

The amount of biogas produced from one person's feces is about a cubic
foot per day. Sewage digesters are designed with that figure in mind
all over the world. A cubic foot of biogas is not enough to offer
anything except a demonstration that burnable gas has been produced
(that is, a cubic foot of gas will burn off in a few seconds).

That is not to say that making biogas is a bad idea; not by any means.
Biogas is a more efficient means of turning biologically collected
sunlight into energy than making alcohol or biodiesel. (Skeptical? See
the chart at the bottom of this page
<http://completebiogas.com/workshops.html>. Acre for acre, biogas can
out-produce alcohol by 800%!)

As far as a water tank creating pressure, actually the process that
produces the biogas also pressurizes it, or at least provides enough
pressure for cooking, lighting, and similar uses.

The digester shown in the video to which you directed us is actually
too small (~55 gal) for real and practical use. (Figure that a
digester that is properly fed and kept warm will create its own volume
of gas every day.) You need a digester of at least 200 gal, for
example, to get enough fuel for daily cooking. Putting four 55 gal
drums together to get that 200 gal volume is not the best option,
however. (Hard to heat, complex, relatively expensive.) A far better
idea is to create a digester out of a plastic tube (these are found
from sites on the web that sell shipping supplies, like ULine and
Grainger's), sealed at both ends, with two pipes (inlet and outlet)
and a gas outlet line. (A 40 inch dia plastic tube 12 feet long, when
laying flat, will easily hold about 200 gal of digesting material.)

My next project is to build a larger digester (3,000 gal, 10 cu m) to
utilize all the food waste from a local fast food outlet. I'm going to
make it out of plastic sheets, of the sort used to cover greenhouses...

And by the way, I teach people how to make these digesters (in
October, for example, there will be workshops in Hawaii and
Pennsylvania), so please contact me if you are interested in learning
more about it.

Be well.

--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/