[Lapg] Straw bale apprenticeships Pine Ridge Lakota rez

Cory Brennan cory8570 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 15 16:56:51 PDT 2010

We are looking for people who want to help us finish building our huge straw bale building for the Oglala-Lakota Cultural and Economic Revitilization Initiative at Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota.  Please forward this to anyone who might be interested!

The project is currently in progress daily. We would like to finish building the structure by Oct 15-30 of this year, in time to provide much needed winter housing for interns, and this is very doable especially if we get several more people to assist.

The structure will be used as a workshop to develop alternative energy prototypes including biodigesters, high efficiency cogeneration stoves/heaters/electric generators, and more. These will be used on the rez to create greater resiliency and independence as well as providing an economic engine on the reservation when manufacturing/production begins.

It will also serve as an office and housing for interns for our extensive permaculture project and design which involves a fully self-sustaining, regenerative system of keyline, swales and other water systems, food forest, CSA garden, silvoculture, cooperative businesses (farmer-rancher and others), cultural regeneration for Lakota, sustainability and cultural library, prairie regeneration project, natural building, wind energy, sustainably produced biofuels, etc.

This is a very worthy project that you can be truly proud of contributing to!

We would love people who have construction, earth plastering, plumbing/electric and/or natural building experience but will take inexperienced people as well and train you in basics of straw bale building. Tent camping is available, and you will need to be prepared to pay for your own food.

We need to complete:
Roofing
Walls (1/2 way done)
Plastering, exterior and interior
Interior cob walls
Floor
Interior walls
Plumbing/electric
Kitchen/bath hookups

Please forward this far and wide to anyone who may be interested! For more info, see permacultureguild.us, Pine Ridge (under projects and also under Apprenticeship program under courses), or write me.

Best, Cory Brennan
cory at permacultureguild.us