[Lapg] NEW BOOK the Water Do the Work Bill Zeedyk and Van Clothier Island Press

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Dec 13 09:52:58 PST 2010

hi everyone
   with the flooding that happened to rearrange the landscape of
berms, pond, gardens  and gabions at Quailsprings  Learning Center
and Permaculture Farm www.quailsprins.org  in the floods Oct 3 and 4
see details at the bottom.

It is important as Permaculture designers that we understand how to
work in riparian restoration by "thinking like a creek" there is so
much to learn from the designs that failed and the ones that worked
at Quailsprings

Thank you Owen Hablutzel Holistic Maganagement and Keyline Consultant
for passing this information on to me. Owen has taken courses with
Bill Zeedyk in Arizona and New Mexico who was a student of
Dr. David Rosgen of Wildland Hydrology http://www.wildlandhydrology.com/

Here is a book that will help to expand your knowledge of working in
Landscapes of the Southwest and around the world
wes
ps look at the website of WILDLAND HYDROLOGY too

Let the Water Do the Work
Bill Zeedyk and Van Clothier
http://www.islandpress.org/bookstore/detailsyy27.htm

Published: 06/06/2009
Publisher: Island Press/
Quivira Coalition

ISBN: 9780970826435
Paperback: $50.00

  Let the Water Do the Work is an important contribution to riparian
restoration. By `thinking like a creek,' one can harness the
regenerative power of floods to reshape stream banks and rebuild
floodplains along gullied stream channels. Induced Meandering is an
artful blend of the natural sciences-geomorphology, hydrology and
ecology-which govern channel forming processes. Induced

Meandering directly challenges the dominant paradigm of river and
creek stabilization by promoting the intentional erosion of selected
banks while fostering deposition of eroded materials on an evolving
floodplain. The river self-heals as the growth of native riparian
vegetation accelerates the meandering process. Anyone with an
interest in natural resource management in these uncertain times
should read this book and put these ideas to work. Let's go with the
flow!

Biographies

Bill Zeedyk, innovator of the Induced Meandering concept and
principal author of this book, brings a lifetime of experience in
natural resource conservation to the practice of river, wetland and
riparian restoration. Upon retiring from the U.S. Forest Service with
thirty-four years experience in habitat management, Bill founded a
small consulting business with the mission of motivating others by
developing and advancing simple techniques for healing incised
streams and gullied wetlands. He has prepared training materials and
conducted numerous hands-on workshops involving professionals,
laymen, and volunteers alike. His methods have been adopted by
federal, state, and tribal agencies, landowners and conservation
organizations, and acclaimed by teachers, scientists, and
practitioners in the field.

Van Clothier, is involved in stream, wetland, and water harvesting
projects all over New Mexico and Southeast Arizona. He has a degree
in physics from the University of California and is a student of Dr.
David Rosgen. Van has been an apprentice of Bill Zeedyk since 2003
and his company, Stream Dynamics, Inc., provides consultation and
on-the-ground work for water harvesting earthworks, stream and arroyo
improvement, erosion control, and road maintenance.

WILDLAND HYDROLOGY

  Dr. David Rosgen website a wealth of information for Permaculture
Designers who want to understanding water hydrology

http://www.wildlandhydrology.com/

Reference Materials
Wildland Hydrology now offers reference materials for students and site users.

News

Flood Recovery Begins at Quail Springs

http://www.quailsprings.org/news
October 10, 2010
Hello Dear Friends of Quail Springs,
The waters have settled and the clay deposits are beginning to crack
in the sun as the land at Quail Springs begins to rest from last
weeks unprecedented flooding event. Since the mountains of water came
to reshape the land and our lives, our spirits have been lovingly
buoyed by the tremendous outpouring of kind words, offers of
assistance, donations, general encouragement and appreciation from
hundreds of people locally and around the globe. We've been reminded
again and again that our work touches many people, in many places,
and in many ways.

Check out this short video (no audio) taken during the flood by Nick
Peihl, who was here for a plastering workshop. Take a look at the
water in the middle of the canyon up toward the springs - it is
nearly 15 feet deep in the center and over 100 feet wide. Down canyon
across from our main community area, the waters gathered to nearly
800 feet across.

This past week has been filled with long days troubleshooting,
designing and fixing plumbing, sanitation, phone, roads, and water
storage, repairing our badly damaged well, and scavenging down canyon
for the many things that floated away...
Please help with flood recovery and rebuilding by contributing a tax
deductible donation via Donate Now. Thank you! All gifts, small and
large, add up to rebuilding and planting for resiliency.
Read more...

Quail Springs Sustains Major Flooding

October 3, 2010
Hello Friends of Quail Springs,
We wanted to share with all of you that we've just come through two
days of major flooding that have altered the face of Quail Springs.
First of all, we are SO GRATEFUL THAT NO PEOPLE OR FARM ANIMALS WERE
HURT. This is a huge blessing for which we are all thankful.

Beginning on Friday, October 1st, we had a storm that dropped a
little over 2" of rain in about an hour that caused extreme channel
flooding that ripped out our lower gabion, silted up our larger
swales and caused damage to about 10% of the garden. We wish that
this was the extent of the damage yet mother nature had another story
to share with us.

On Saturday, October 2nd, at about 12:30pm, a second and much more
ominous thunder storm descended on our valley down from Iwihinmu (Mt.
Pinos) beginning with a huge hail storm followed by torrential rains
and heavy winds. The lighting and thunder stood right over us for
what seemed like a lifetime yet was just a few minutes. In just a
half an hour, over 3 inches of rain fell directly on Quail Springs
and much more in the canyons that feed the main canyon. Little rivers
began to flow down the secondary and tertiary canyons, and then it
happened.
A wall of water we could have never imagined in our wildest dreams
and ruminations made its own thunder as it careened down the canyon.
This wall of water tore at trees, ripped out our largest gabions and
breached the walls of our incised stream and created a rushing river
that spanned at some points over 1,000 feet across the canyon. It was
a sight to behold and an event that made your heart nearly stand
still.
Nothing could stand up to this deluge...
Read more...