[Lapg] SAVE THE DATE/Feb 11 &12/Cities As the Solution Talk & Workshop with Richard Register of Ecocity Builders

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculature Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun Jan 9 07:55:49 PST 2011

Save the Date!  (more information to follow)
Santa Barbara City College Center for Sustainability Presents:
"Cities as the Solution" with Richard Register, of Ecocity Builders,
San Francisco
author "Ecocities; Rebuilding Cities in Balance with Nature",
ecological city planner,
& convener for Ecocity World Summits (next one in Montreal);
  & Kirstin Miller, Ecocity Builders Executive Director

Basic ecocity theory and an overview of the city in evolution; the
city today; and methods for building the low-energy, sustainable city
of tomorrow, grounded in ecology and whole-systems thinking.

Friday, February 11,  Richard Register, Evening Lecture, 7-9:30pm $10
/($5 SBCC full time students)
Saturday, February 12, Kirstin Miller (Richard Register sitting in)
  All Day Workshop 10-4pm $70 ($60 if paid before Feb 5)/$30 SBCC
Students (full time)

Ecocity Builders
building cities in balance with nature
[]

www.ecocitybuilders.org

Cities are by far the largest creation of humanity. Given that cities
are so large, damaging, and yet potentially beneficial, you'd think
we would have long ago devised the science, study, discipline, and
art of ecologically healthy city building... As we build, so shall we
live.  Richard Register

Another innovative and forward thinker, Richard Register, joins us in
Santa Barbara, February 2011, for an event presented by the Santa
Barbara City College (SBCC) Center for Sustainability.

Wes Roe & I attended the 2008 Ecocity World Summit (convened by
Richard Richard & Ecocity Builders) two years ago in San Francisco,
we were amazed at all that is occurring around the world with
ecological design for cities, where soon, 70% of the world's
population will reside.  Much is happening in the USA that most are
not aware of, but other countries, including China, are moving more
rapidly ahead. They understand the imperative for cities to function
more like ecosystems, where cities are regenerative rather than
depletive, where waste is seen an utilized as a resource, and where
cities are designed more compactly for more  positive human
interaction, and less carbon emissions from automobiles.

Don't miss this opportunity to imagine what Santa Barbara could look
like with an "Ecocity" perspective.

   Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, & Coordinator,
SBCC Center for Sustainability

Santa Babara Permaculture Network Logo

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
www.sbpermaculture.org

PPlease consider the environment before printing this email.