[Lapg] Food Justice rally on Monday

Jennie Cook jbcook4me at mac.com
Thu Feb 10 19:16:08 PST 2011

  HI There,  I've  a dedicated food advocate working with  a
grassroots coalition to make some changes in the 2011 LAUSD  menus.
We call ourselves Food for Lunch.
Really, what they're serving our kids is poison.  I know it's dramatic
but it's true.
We've been pushing on the  flavored milk issue for several months now
-  and decided it's time for a rally! And we have an on line petition
- pasted below.

http://www.petitiononline.com/86sugar/petition.html

  I've pasted  all the information and I would love to see it go to
the group - It's   a social justice issue in my opinion and I'm sure
some other permies feel the same way.
  I've been a member of the listserv for a few years and I appreciate
the work you do to keep it going! Thank you for all you do and your
consideration in this matter.
Time for Action 2.14.11
Rally for the Health of  Our Kids
Daily chocolate milk consumption = 14 cups of sugar  a school year.
   ALMOST A GALLON OF SUGAR  toward diabetes and obesity.
We can stop the madness!
LAUSD Food Services says "if you want to get rid of the chocolate
milk, then give us letters of support."

  Let's do it NOW!
We're rallying  and showing our support  at
Monday's Cafeteria Improvement Meeting.
Write a note, sign the e- petition,  and get the other parents and
staff at your school to do the same in support of removing flavored
milk from LAUSD.

Attach your note of support to a one GALLON milk bottle decorated as a
Valentine.  Empty jugs are fine, but feel free to fill it with 14 cups
of sugar (or sand)  to educate your family.
Remember,  we're all about the love. Food services is expecting our
lovely Valentines... be nice!
  Option 1:
  Participate in the Valentine's Day Rally
(In honor of  Jamie Oliver)
Meet us outside the Visconti lot at 1:30 and we'll parade ourselves
right up to the 28th floor with our Valentines  at 2 p.m. sharp.
Option 2:
  Drop  off your Valentine anytime on Monday addressed to food
services at 333 South Beaudry.
  Option 3:
Drop off your Valentine at the Farmer's Kitchen any time through this
Sunday and chef Ernie will deliver it for you.
  Message:

Please take back the sugar. We don't want it in our milk!

  I can see it now filling the conference table on the 28th floor.
REMEMBER:
WE ARE NON-OPPOSITIONAL  - do it with LOVE.
Please let us know you're participating by responding to Emily at  gallonofsugar at gmail.com
.

Forward  this e-mail to your friends, respond to this e-mail let me
know what you're doing.
They are listening... let's push to ACTION!

Spanish translation available
Location for the
Cafeteria Improvement Committee Meeting
Monday February 14th, 2011
2:00 - 3:30 p.m.
LAUSD Headquarters  - 333  South Beaudry Avenue 28th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017     Conference Room 28-119
Parking:
Visconti Lot - - enter on Miramar.
Be prepared to show ID at the front desk, and let the nice lady
know where you're going.
Validation available at the meeting.
Contact Information
~~~
call my cell: 310.850.1884 or the  catering shoppe 323.982.0052
Email me!
~~~
Seize the Day!!
Jennie Cook