[Lapg] Save the Date!/March 25 & 26/Waste & Recycling for a Better World/SBCC Center for Sustainability

Margie Bushman, Coordinator SBCC Center for Sustainability sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sun Mar 6 07:12:05 PST 2011

SBCC Center for Sustainability "Cities As the Solution" Series:
Waste & Recycling for a Better World
March 25 & 26

Emacs!

Emacs!

Emacs!

Evening Talk, March 25, 7-9:30pm 2011
Keynote Speaker, Albe Zakes from TerraCycle, Inc.
SBCC Campus, Fe Bland Auditorium, West Campus
Admission $5
~
All Day Saturday Event, March 26, 9am - 4pm
Morning Plenary/Afternoon Break-Out Sessions with:
Albe Zakes of TerraCycle; Nikhil Arora from BTTR Ventures; & Author,
Janet Unruh
Admission, $30 general/$20 Students
SBCC Campus, East Campus

         Meet the young eco-entrepreneurs who can change the way you
think about trash.  And those who can help you understand recycling,
why we must, and how we can.  Please join the Santa Barbara City
College Center for Sustainability as it continues its "Cities As the
Solution" series with "Waste & Recycling for a Better World" on March 25 & 26.

         The event starts on Friday evening with keynote speaker Albe
Zakes, VP Marketing from TerraCycle, Inc., a company that makes
useful products from garbage and is now at the forefront of the
eco-capitalist movement.  Zakes will share the entrepreneurial
adventure he and TerraCycle company founder Tom Szaky have
experienced together as they created a company that's good for
people, good for profits, and good for the environment.

A follow-up event takes place on Saturday March 26 beginning with a
morning plenary session, followed by afternoon break-outs that
includes 3 dynamic speakers in the world of Waste & Recycling:
Albe Zakes, 25 year-old Global VP/Media from TerraCycle, Inc., the
world's leading 'upcycling' company, which converts waste materials
into eco-friendly, affordable products available at major retailers
worldwide.  TerraCycle upcycles and recycles traditionally
non-recyclable waste, including drink pouches, chip bags, tooth
brushes and many more. TerraCycles innovative "Brigades" programs
encourage community organizations to participate in trash retrieval
while earning cash.  Paying out more than a million dollars last year
alone, the Brigade programs are partially funded by corporate
sponsors like KRAFT, Starbucks, and Mars.

Nikhil Arora, 23, BTTR Ventures, a recent grad of UC Berkeley, who
with business partner Alex Velez, gave up potential careers in
investment banking to start an urban farm growing gourmet mushrooms
from coffee waste, in a downtown warehouse.  Their most recent
product, the Easy-to-Grow Mushroom Garden kit, is carried in Whole
Foods Markets nationwide. Since starting BTTR Ventures they have
diverted more than 10,000 pounds of coffee grounds per week from the
waste stream, being paid by coffee houses to do it.  Trash to cash,
they are proud of creating & providing jobs in their urban community.

Janet Unruh, Executive Director of the Institute for Material
Sustainability, MA Engineering and Technology Management, and author
of Recycle Everything, Why We Must, How We Can. We've all heard of
peak oil, but what about peak hafnium, or peak terbium? Hafnium,
which is important in computer chips, could be depleted by 2017, and
terbium, used in florescent light bulbs, by 2012. Unruh believes that
everything can be recycled 100% - provided we learn how to design
things properly and set up the right systems for materials recovery.

In nature, there is no such thing as "waste," but as humans, we
produce nearly 220 million tons per year.  Come learn a better way,
to not only recycle, but upcycle, diverting billions of pieces of
garbage from our landfills and incinerators, while generating income
and creating jobs.

The evening talk takes place on Friday, March 25, 7-9:30pm at the Fe
Bland Forum on the SBCC West Campus.  The Saturday event, March 26,
9am - 4pm will be at the SBCC PS101 Building on the East Campus, 721
Cliff Drive.

Sponsored by the SBCC Center for Sustainability

Event Info: Margie (805) 965-0581, ext 2177,  email
msbushman at sbcc.edu;  http://sustainability.sbcc.edu

More Info/Websites/YouTubes:
Trash Trivia:
http://www.co.cass.in.us/ccswd/trivia.htm

TerraCycle: www.terracycle.net
BTTR Ventures: www.bttrventures.com
Janet Unruh: www.howtorecycleeverythingbook.com

TerraCycle featured on Good Morning America:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaKoBuVZ_AI&feature=related
TerraCycle segment Discovery Channel: s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fpTVF-3uFQ&feature=related
TerraCycle Plastics episode of Garbage Moguls on National Geographic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meV-clgVnJ0&feature=player_embedded#at=16

BTTR Ventures on BBC World New:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oq0rAzlDi8&feature=related>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oq0rAzlDi8&feature=related

Janet Unruh:
Executive Director; Institute for Material Sustainability
Recycle the World: One Woman's Vision
http://www.enzymepdx.com/2010/recycle-everything/
By Matthew Singer

RADIO INTERVIEW
Program: Recovery Zone
program date: Wed, 12/22/2010

http://kboo.fm/node/25693

-end-

[]

http://sustainability.sbcc.edu/
PPlease consider the environment before printing this email.