[Lapg] Pruning and Grafting Citrus and Avocados

C. Darren Butler butlercdarren at gmail.com
Thu May 5 09:53:05 PDT 2011

Turning Green: Hands-On Workshops for a Sustainable Lifestyle
with C. Darren Butler, www.EcoWorkshops.com
Hosted by Sheda Morshed

Pruning and Grafting Citrus and Avocados
Double Workshop (attend either or both)

Sunday, May 15, 2011
9:00am -12:30pm (pruning workshop) and 1:30 – 5:00pm (grafting workshop)
Pacific Palisades near Temescal and Sunset
$35 per workshop
$68 both workshops
Space is limited. Enroll early to attend one workshop only.

Turning Green is a new workshop series for anyone interested in having fun
while learning real skills for a green lifestyle. All levels of experience
are welcome.

Pruning Citrus and Avocados:
-    Proper pruning for trees and shrubs
-    Specific pruning needs and methods for citrus and avocados
-    How to prune young fruit trees for long-term structure, health, and
yield
-    Appropriate methods for pruning neglected, tangled trees and reducing
height of mature trees so you can reach the fruit
-    And much more

Grafting Citrus and Avocados:
-    How to grow multiple varieties of citrus or avocados all on the same
tree
-    How graft onto an established tree to produce different fruit
-    Multiple grafting methods with focus on modified whip grafting, an easy
method with a high rate of success for beginners
-    Tools and materials for grafting
-    And much more

Tools and materials:  We recommend (but don’t require) bringing your own
young citrus or avocado tree in a nursery pot to practice pruning and
grafting. Gloves, eye protection, and bypass pruners, are required for
participation in hands-on pruning activities. A small pruning saw and
grafting knife or small, sharp nonserrated knife are strongly recommended.
Further details and instructions will be provided to attendees.

To sign up mail payment to:
Darren Butler
PO Box 589
Topanga CA 90290-0589
Please contact Darren to pay online

Questions? Contact us:
Darren: darren at pobox.com, (818) 271-0963
Sheda: shedamorshed at gmail.com, (310) 459-8840

Upcoming workshops:
JUNE 12 DOUBLE WORKSHOP
Summer Organic Gardening for West Los Angeles
Growing, Harvesting, Cleaning, and Saving Seeds

JULY 10 DOUBLE WORKSHOP:
Best Practices for Building Drip Systems
Hands-On Drip System Construction

C. Darren Butler is an Ecological Landscape Designer, Consulting Arborist,
Greywater & Irrigation Designer, Landscape and Garden Consultant, and
Teacher. He has appeared on international television, NPR radio, local
television, and in many other media as an expert, and has worked as an
arborist expert witness. He is a frequent presenter at conferences and
events throughout California. From 2007 - 2009 he served on statewide
Advisory and Steering Committees for all University of California Master
Gardener programs, which influenced the outreach efforts of 4,500 California
Master Gardeners and the 100,000 or more California residents they serve
every year. He has taught for the UCCE LA County Master Gardener Training
Program for six years. He offers an apprenticeship program and workshops,
courses, and retreats to the general public on topics related to gardening,
landscaping, trees, irrigation, permaculture, and sustainability. He
consults, designs, speaks, and teaches throughout Southern California and
beyond, and in 2010 bloggged at KPCC radio's Facebook community, The
Freeway. See www.EcoWorkshops.com. Contact darren at pobox.com.

Comments from prior students:

"I have been profoundly influenced and very inspired by everything you said
throughout your lessons. In particular, I’ve learned and gained so much,
especially in such a short period of time! Not only can I use the knowledge
I’ve taken away from your courses in all areas of my garden, but many
aspects of my life as well!"

"Darren is just so knowledgeable. This is a crucial part of the owner's
manual for Planet Earth."

"Darren is an outstanding teacher. He integrates real life to gardening.
He's down to earth, full of laughs and personality. His enthusiasm is
infectious."

"Wow! The idea that so many things are just soil in another temporary format
is pretty powerful. Darren has thought more than any other person I have
ever met. The class was awesome."

"I got so much out of this! Packed full of information that was immediately
usable to me. I love listening to this guy! He knows so much and is so
humble about sharing what he knows. He knocks my socks off."

"If you want to change your perspective on the world and get deeply in touch
with the Earth, come to this class!"

Enrollment, payment, and refund policy:
       Payment of full workshop fee required for registration. No refunds
except for cancellation by the instructor. If unable to attend, course fee
may be credited to a future class or workshop. Workshops not guaranteed to
carry.
       Payment is by check, cash, or money order and should be sent to
Darren Butler, PO Box 589, Topanga, CA 90290. Please contact Darren if you
prefer to pay online.