[Lapg] Who do you know?

Bruce Woodside warnwood at mac.com
Fri May 6 11:28:18 PDT 2011

Who is doing the crucial critical work of relocalization and/or
environmental rehabilitation here in Los Angeles? Who's involved in
projects that represent the future infrastructure of resilient
communities in this city?

The Transition groups of L.A. County are proposing to host a series
of community Think Tank sessions over the coming months, organized
around topics that will eventually make up an Energy Descent Action
Plan (you can find out more about the concept of the EDAP here:
http://www.eatthesuburbs.org/edap-primer/).

We envision this plan as a living document, not some "study" that
will sit gathering dust on a government agency's shelf - more like an
Open Source wiki, accessible to all participants (and the public at
large) and subject to adaptation, innovation, localization, and
change. Our goal is to cobble together a collective vision of a
(hopefully better) future urban environment, and to document the hits
and misses it will take to get us all where we need to go, on
individual, neighborhood, and collective levels.

Idealistic? Unrealistic? Maybe, but I personally know many people who
are on this path, individuals working in their own discrete areas or
with single-issue environmental or community groups, and making a
positive difference doing so. I like to refer to these people as the
"Usual Suspects" because I see them all the time at area events. I
met a number of them at last weekend's Convergence. I know that you
know them too, and I think there must be many others who I do not know.

So, if you were to take part in one or more of these discussions in
this series of conversations (on such topics as Food, Water,
Transportation, Shelter, Energy, or Land Use, to name but a few), who
else would you want to see in the circle? Whose contributions do you
think would be absolutely vital to elevating the discussion, keeping
it focussed, informative, inclusive, and grounded in the realities we
face and the practical solutions we can implement?

Please feel free to contact me personally (warnwood at mac dot com)
if you wish, or pick up the thread here in this forum. I'll be
forwarding names on to the group planning this series and we'll
probably be announcing a schedule within the next month or so.
Everyone, of course, will be invited.

Thanks,
Bruce Woodside
Transition SFV