[Lapg] Brad Lancaster and Growing Sustainable Abundance

Rashid G. rashidreza at gmail.com
Fri May 20 14:34:04 PDT 2011

Brad Lancaster: Hands-on Water-Harvesting Workshop, May 21, 2011 – Laguna Beach CA

May 21, 2011
1:00 pm	to	5:00 pm
Date: May 21, 2011
Time: 1-5 pm

Location:
Anneliese School – Willowbrook Campus
20062 Laguna Canyon Rd
Laguna Beach CA 92651

Cost: $35 if you register in advance, $45 if you register the day of the workshop

Description of the workshop:

EARTHWORKS: How to Plant the Rain (and Other On-site Waters) to Grow Sustainable Abundance
In order to better see the whole and our place within the hydrologic cycle, each earthworkshop begins with participants learning the Water-Harvesting Principles; basic watergy facts; integration of sun, water, and community; oasis zones; how to think like a plant; and various earthworks strategies. We then assess the site, identifying water resources and watersheds, asking and answering relevant site-specific questions, and testing our observations with simple tools. Equipped with a deeper understanding of the site and its water, we then place and create water-harvesting earthworks, guided by the Principles, key integration techniques, and the goal of living within the site’s sustainable water budget. Depending on the site, typical earthworks created in an workshop can include infiltration basins/rain gardens, one-rock check dams, contour berm ‘n basins/swales or boomerang berm ‘n basins, and terracing. Time and resources permitting, we will plant guilds of vegetation within/beside the earthworks and view a presentation of earthworks from around the world.

For more information or to register for the workshop, contact Elise at (949) 285-1473 or yarrow68 at gmail.com.

This workshop and the preceding free public talk are sponsored by:

SEEDS Art and Education, a non-profit that supports arts and education programs to promote stewardship of the land, such as organic gardening, environmental awareness, and conservation, and

Transition Laguna Beach, whose mission is to offer a positive approach in supporting the community toward sustainability and resilience.