[Lapg] SBCC Center for Sustainability Waste & Recycling for a Better World Presentations on Vimeo/Facebook

Margie Bushman, Coordinator, SBCC Center for Sustainability sbpcnet at silcom.com
Tue Jul 12 14:33:12 PDT 2011

SBCC Center for Sustainability "Cities As the Solution" series,
Waste & Recycling for a Better World Workshop on Video (click on live
links below to view)
[]

As a part of the ongoing "Cities As the Solution" series, the Santa
Barbara City College(SBCC) Center for Sustainability presented
"Waste & Recycling for a Better World" on March 25 & 26, 2011.

We are happy to be able to share with you three presentations from
the event workshop: Albe Zakes of Terracycle, Nikhil Arora of BTTR
Ventures, and Janet Unruh from the Institute of Material
Sustainability (IMS). They all hold the unique view that nothing is
trash, but instead see waste as a resource, as nature and ecosystems do.
                                         In nature, there is no such
thing as "waste," but as humans, we produce nearly 220 million tons per year.

Stay tuned for more "Cities As the Solution" programs next year, and
please follow us on Facebook.
View on Facebook:
Center for Sustainability Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/SBCC-Center-for-Sustainability/195585370466944?v=wall

or
View On Vimeo:
Waste & Recycling Workshop/Albe Zakes of TerraCycle/SBCC Center for
Sustainability
http://www.vimeo.com/25581801
Albe Zakes, the 25 year-old Global VP Media at TerraCycle, Inc., the
world's leading 'upcycling' company. Trash to cash, TerraCycle
recognizes the massive potential in garbage, diverting millions of
pieces of non-recyclable trash going to landfills each year by
"upcycling" into eco-friendly products. Featured in National
Geographic's "Garbage Moguls" TerraCycle gives new meaning to eco-capitalism.
Terracycle: <http://www.terracycle.net>terracycle.net

Waste & Recycling Workshop/Nikhil Arora, BTTR Ventures/SBCC Center
for Sustainability
http://www.vimeo.com/25493318
Nikhil Arora, 23, of BTTR Ventures, is a recent grad of UC Berkeley,
who with business partner Alex Velez, gave up careers in investment
banking to start an urban farm growing gourmet mushrooms from coffee
waste. Their newest product, the Easy-to-Grow Mushroom Garden kit, is
carried in over 90 Whole Foods Markets. Since starting BTTR Ventures
they have diverted more than 10,000 pounds of coffee grounds per week
from the waste stream. Turning waste into a resource, they are proud
of being eco-entrepreneurs and providing jobs in their inner city
community. <http://www.bttrventures.com>bttrventures.com

Waste & Recycling Workshop/Janet Unruh of the Institute for Material
Sustainability (IMS)
http://www.vimeo.com/25440376
We've all heard of peak oil, but what about peak hafnium, or peak
terbium? Janet Unruh, author of "Recycle Everything, Why We Must, How
We Can", believes that everything can be recycled 100% - provided we
learn how to design things properly and set up the right systems for
materials recovery. Please join Janet, as she spends a Saturday
workshop with co-presenters, students & community members exploring
in depth the question, Can everything be recycled? She says with good
engineering, imagination and innovation, yes it
can...<http://www.rebk.org>rebk.org
(special thanks to Logan Nevitt of Commongood Media, for filming &
editing the workshop)
[]

http://sustainabilty.sbcc.edu

[]

PPlease consider the environment before printing this email.