[Lapg] Superadobe & Permaculture Design Certification a Calearth Hesperia CA Nov 8-19 2011

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Aug 3 20:33:38 PDT 2011

Superadobe & Permaculture Design Certification www.calearth.org
Cal-Earth Institute and Midwest Permaculture
<http://www.midwestpermaculture.com/index.php> are combining their
recognized and established certificate trainings for a rare and powerful
learning opportunity.
*November 8-19, 2011*
*November 8-11*: *Cal-Earth Four Day Workshop
*The first four days of this combined training will be a full Cal-Earth
workshop, as described in detail on the workshops page
<http://calearth.org/learn-to-build/workshops.html>.

*November 12-19: Midwest Permaculture's Design Certificate Course*
Having delivered over 25 PDC courses, Midwest Permaculture has emerged
as a prominent provider of quality permaculture trainings. Their full
PDC curriculum
<http://www.midwestpermaculture.com/PDC_Course_Outline_2011.pdf> will be
delivered to students at this combined training so that students can
earn their Permaculture Design Certificate.
*Topics Covered by Cal-Earth*

    * The principle of the arch
    * Superadobe basics
    * Soils practicum and discussion
    * Super-adobe with stabilized earth
    * Plaster workshop with stabilized earth
    * Learning to read blueprints, elements of design, placing windows
      and doors
    * Contrasting domes with vaults, vaulted roofing system, dome geometry
    * Site planning, orientation, simple solar passive strategies
    * Compass theory and application
    * Waterproofing, foundations
    * Ceramics discussion and Introduction
    * Properties of clay, ceramics as art and aesthetics & ceramic
      architecture
    * Building with brick & firing a ceramic dome- demonstration and
      discussion

	*Topics Covered by Midwest Permaculture *

    * Observations and Patterns
    * Principles and Ethics of Permaculture
    * Designing for Different Climatic Zones
    * Soils, Plants, and Trees
    * Guilds and Polycultures
    * Water and Earthworks
    * Utilizing Micro-climates
    * Designing with Succession in Mind
    * Eco-Building
    * Zone and Sector Analysis
    * Aquaculture
    * Planning the Homestead
    * Bio-Fuels
    * Economics
    * Niche Marketing
    * Urban and Suburban Permaculture
    * Garden Management
    * Small-Farm Strategies
    * Large-Farm Possibilities
    * International Implications
    * Starting your own Permaculture Business

*A Combined Training*: Nader Khalili and the team at Cal-Earth have
focused for many years on studying the simplest of forms and elements
and crafting a way to take the earth beneath our feet and turn it into
beautiful, lasting and inexpensive homes. Permaculture takes this same
kind of contemplative focus to study the area surrounding a building. We
are looking for ways to design a system that not only further supports
the inhabitants of these beautiful and functional structures, but also
cares for the total environment.
/Through permaculture design we will discover how we can extract food,
fiber, fuel, beauty and community from the very same elements that
created the Cal-Earth buildings
*Earth, Air, Fire and Water.*/
*Benefits of a Permaculture Design Course Certificate*: Students who
complete this design course will receive a 'Certification of Completion'
from Midwest Permaculture which allows them to use the copyrighted word
'permaculture' in the promotion of their work or business. Graduates may
also do teaching, offering workshops, lectures and seminars. Click here
for more on certification
<http://www.midwestpermaculture.com/PermacultureCertification.php>.
*Tuition Cost: $2500*
*This includes:*

    * 12 day combined training program
    * Camping accomodation at Cal-Earth
    * Breakfast each morning of the workshop
    * Cal-Earth Workshop Certificate of Completion
    * Full set of Cal-Earth Books and DVDs
    * Access to Cal-Earth Forum
    * Permaculture Design Course Certificate
    * Permaculture Design Book
    * Access to Midwest Permaculture Webinars
    * Access to Midwest Permaculture Forum

As with all Cal-Earth workshops, some partial scholarships are
available. Please indicate your need for a scholarship in your essay and
we will do our best to accommodate you.

*Registration Process:*

   1. *Fill out the official Cal-Earth application
      <http://calearth.org/learn-to-build/workshop-online-application.html>.*
      In your essay, be sure to discuss your background and interest in
      both Superadobe building as well as Permaculture Design.

   2. *Pay the required $400 deposit
      <http://calearth.org/learn-to-build/workshop-deposits.html>*
      /(Note — due to the unique nature of this combined workshop, this
      deposit is nonrefundable. If for some reason you cannot attend,
      $200 of your deposit can be transferred to a future Cal-Earth
      building workshop.)/

    * *NOTE*: Due to the prerequesite study hours required, *deadline*
      for application submission and acceptance is* October 25, 2011.*

    * /*Space is limited for this unique workshop, early registration is
      recommended.*/