[Lapg] Mark Lakeman in Ojai

Carolyn Marie Hernandez carolynhernandez at netzero.net
Fri Sep 16 16:09:13 PDT 2011

  As some of you know, I'm a member of the Ojai Valley Green  Coalition,  on the Built Environment  committee and I'm organizing an  event with Mark Larkman of City Repair (see attached a  flyer and also a  copy of  the text below). Mark Lakeman if you  don't know, is a  visionary and a social  architect as well as an architect  with  sustainable goals. As a speaker  he inspires and guides a community  to  break out of old paradigms and  step into healthier models, go  to the  City Repair web site for  more details. So, my request is this,  please  come to this event, spread the word  to others (post on your  facebook  page, calendar??) etc. I  am  hoping for a 200-300 person turnout. This is an important  step in   gathering the community and moving towards ,  "Village  Alchemy".      I hope we can be allies and support each other in the future.   Thank you for your consideration, Carolyn Marie Hernandez       Village Alchemy: Transforming Spaces into Places How do we shape public spaces into gathering places?   (Ojai, California – September 12, 2011)     The Ojai Valley Green Coalition presents a special event on Sunday,    September 25th with Mark Lakeman and Marisa Auerbach from CityRepair.org, in Portland, Oregon.    “Placemaking    is a multi-layered process within which citizens foster active,   engaged  relationships to the spaces they inhabit.  The landscapes of   our lives  shape those spaces in a way which creates a sense of communal    stewardship and lived connection,” says Lakeman.   This   is most  often accomplished through a creative reclamation of public   space:  projects which take the form of benches on street corners where    neighbors can sit, rest and talk with each other; kiosks on sidewalks    where neighbors can post information about local events, needs and    resources; and street paintings in the public right-of-way that    demonstrate to all who pass through that this is -- a Place --    inhabited, known and loved by its residents.    With direct applications to creating a more interactive community  within the Ojai Valley, this fascinating presentation will cover projects and "lessons learned" in Portland.     The Ojai Valley Green Coalition invites the public to an afternoon event on Sunday, September 25th, from 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., at the Chaparral Auditorium, 414 E. Ojai Avenue, Ojai, CA.  A question & answer session will follow the presentation.  There is a suggested donation of $5.00.     Help the Ojai Valley move forward as a greener, more sustainable and resilient PLACE.   CityRepair.org    is an organized group action that educates and inspires communities   and  individuals to creatively transform the places where they live.   City  Repair facilitates artistic and ecologically-oriented placemaking    through projects that honor the interconnection of human communities   and  the natural world.  ###          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Carolyn Marie Hernandez Wild Earth BuildersNatural Building... Education, Consulting & Constructionwww.wildearthbuilders.com carolynmarie8 at gmail.com805-312-2002
Advisory Board, Natural Building Network