[Lapg] Fw: Job Op: Harvest Coordinator, Food Forward, North Hollywood

Joan Stevens mamabotanica at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 30 15:49:54 PDT 2011

Another one from Yvonne Savio!  Hope this works for somebody.
________________________________

JOB OPPORTUNITY FORM

Job Title – Harvest Coordinator

Agency – Food Forward (www.foodforward.org)

Location – 7412 Fulton Ave. #3, North Hollywood, CA 91605

Pay Rate – $17,500 Part - Time  (full time starts in April 2012)

Responsibilities – Food Forward is growing by leaps and bounds and is at an
exciting point in our development. To keep up with the increasing opportunities
and demands coming to our organization, we are looking for an individual who
will maintain our Harvesting and Property database, working closely with fruit
donors, Property Scouts and recipient agencies. This person will work with
property owners who have fruit to donate by gathering essential harvesting and
logistical information for our database to organize and coordinate picks. They
will also work with the Volunteer Coordinator to ensure that all scheduled picks
are filled with an adequate number of volunteers and will oversee the produce
delivery to assigned recipient agencies. This person will oversee a growing
corps of volunteer Property Scouts and work with our larger properties to
schedule ‘Big Picks’ and coordinate the logistics of our Private Picks (for
local corporate clients, faith-based organizations, school groups and
non-profits).

The Harvest Coordinator will report to the Managing Director and will be
responsible for the following:
- Maintaining relationships with 300+ fruit donors and with 25+ recipient
agencies (food pantries or donation centers)
- Managing and improving a database of over 350 properties and over 2500
volunteers.

- Scheduling 2 – 4 picks a week and working directly with the Volunteer
Coordinator to ensure that each pick has enough support for its size and
quantity of trees
- Training and overseeing our Property Scouts to ensure that they are gathering
and reporting property/tree information correctly

- Working with our Executive Director to identify properties that are suitable
for Private Picks, then coordinating the logistics for each of these events with
property owners

- Frequent written and verbal communication with property owners and recipient
agencies

- Updating our Wordpress site and database
- Act as a Food Forward liaison with outside agencies such as CA Dept. of
Agriculture, Dept of Water & Power and LA City, regarding important information
on public orchards and potential fruit quarantines.
- Recording harvest notes, pounds and property details and recipient agency
- Responsible for upkeep and management of harvest equipment
- Additional projects and responsibilities to be defined as position grows to
full-time in spring 2012.

Required Skills –
Ideally, candidate will have a strong interest in hunger and food justice
issues. We are looking for an extremely detail-oriented person who enjoys
organizing and collecting data and can work efficiently and comfortably on a
website to manage information. Candidate should be personable and able follow up
with property owners of various personalities and temperaments. Candidate must
have a strong knowledge of local fruit tree varietals and fruit tree care.
Candidate should be highly versed in Los Angeles and SFV geography.

Other qualifications include:
- Bachelors Degree in a related field
- Knowledge of locally grown tree varieties, including harvest season, tree size
and shape, fruit qualities (You will be tested)

-Strong knowledge and comfort with Wordpress, Twitter, Facebook and other social
media.

- Strong knowledge of LA and the SFV geography, neighborhoods and streets (You
will be tested)
- Proven effective data management skills
- Strong people and public speaking skills
- Flexible, a team player, able to work well under pressure
- A valid drivers license and ability to easily navigate the SFV
- Willingness to work some weekends

Desired Skills –
- Experience in food justice work desired

- Experience working in a fast paced environment, start up or non-profit desired

- Bilingual in English and Spanish is preferred

Other Information – 20-25 hours per week (M, W, F) at our North Hollywood
office. The position starts as part – time, becoming full–time, projected Spring
2012

Application Mode – Email a letter of interest in the body of the email and
attach a PDF of your resume

Application Deadline – Oct 14

Contact for Further Information – MG Meg Glasser, meg at foodforward.org