[Lapg] fish species for aquaponics?

Dennis Pilien dpilien98 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 23:29:15 PST 2011

The fingerling Tilapia can cost from $1 to $2 each. Check Craigslist and search for "fingerlings", especially in the Inland Empire and Imperial Valley areas.Tilapia Mama in San Diego is a good supplier. Search her site on the internet and contact her. It's easy to grow the fingerlings. A breeding set of one male Tilapia mossambica and five to six female Tilapia honorum can be very expensive, maybe as much as $1200 a breeding set. They cannot be kept in ponds or pools, but legally in aquaria (I told you to call Dr. Maxwell to have him explain the ins and outs of all of this "double-speak" aquaculturist laws) and are used as the parental types because their offspring result in the best of both parental phenotypes, i.e. maximized biomass increase per unit time, etc. Their resulting hybrids grow very fast, testosterone can be added to the water while they are very young to make all the babies male. This ensures they all grow much larger (200%?) than the
 females in the same time frame. Channel cat fingerlings (native to the U.S. east of the Rockies) can be purchased and shipped live from Central Valley Aqua Farm or others in So Cal. They used to be cheaper than Tilapia, but search online for breeders that will ship live fingerlings in bulk. I can help you too, for free. Call me.
Dennis