[Lapg] Early Bird Deadline Today!/Simple Compost Toilet Workshop/Ojai Fdn June 2

Margie Bushman, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Sat May 26 14:07:00 PDT 2012

Simple Compost Toilet Workshop
June 2 2012 -9am-5pm
with Permaculture Designer & Educator LOREN LUYENDYK
Learn the skills to build your own!

Click here to reserve your space.
http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=o4jqo7baboeidk=a07e5iq09o9c8439f69

Space is limited. Early bird registration ends tomorrow, May 26!
Waste is an unused resource, and our concept of "waste" creates
pollution.  Every year, billions of gallons of untreated sewage spill
into the ocean, as a result of no treatment, or treatment plant
failures due to power outages and high storm flows.  Over 3 million
people die each year from water borne illnesses caused by raw sewage
entering water sources.

Furthermore, in the developed world we use drinking quality water to
flush our feces "away" (=into the ocean).  The average American
household would save up to 34,000 gallons of water per year if we
stopped using flush toilets.

We can reduce and re-use our waste safely and in an economical and
ecological way.  Composting red worms can reduce E. coli populations
on contaminated materials up to 99.9%.  Thoroughly composted humanure
is suitable for fertilizing ornamental and fruit trees.

Compost toilets save water, reduce pollution, and create healthy soils
with no moving parts.  They are affordable and modular, suited to
almost any climate or condition.

This one-day workshop will provide participants with the skills to
build a Compost Toilet for home scale waste treatment.  We will cover
the basics of Ecological Sanitation, and construct a toilet out of
locally available materials.

LOREN'S BIO:

Born and raised in Santa Barbara California, Loren has spent a lot of
time traveling the world in search of new waves and new adventures. A
lifetime surfer, he was inspired to create the non-profit Surfers
Without Borders (www.surferswithoutborders.org) to address the issue
of ocean pollution through permaculture and sustainable design.

A Certified Arborist and Master Gardener, Loren has a degree in
Biology from UCSB, and has studied sustainability and horticulture
extensively. He also runs a small permaculture Landscape Design and
Consultation business called Santa Barbara Organics
(www.sborganics.com), and is the creator of Global Permaculture Design
Group (www.globalpermaculture.com).

$75.00 per person, $50 early bird registration (before May 26th).
Bring a sack lunch.

Click here to reserve your space.
http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=o4jqo7bab&oeidk=a07e5iq09o9c8439f69

For questions or to register, call 805-646-8343.

Thank you!