[Lapg] Community meal delivery - awesome idea!

Joan Stevens mamabotanica at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 1 10:27:25 PDT 2012

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: "noraleeed at aol.com" <noraleeed at aol.com>
To: ripe at lists.ripealtadena.com
Sent: Wed, August 1, 2012 9:41:55 AM
Subject: [RIPE] OT: Next step for RIPE?

mealku
Ted D'Cruz-Young has created "an online meal cooperative ... that connects home
cooks who trade meals with the click of a mouse," reports Sumathi Reddy in The
Wall Street Journal (7/2/12). Ted is also founder of Ideocracy, a marketing
agency. His idea for a food cooperative, Mealku, "feeds on the growing
popularity of local dishes, food swaps and community-supported agriculture." The
Mealku model "revolves around a points-based system that requires members to
both cook meals and receive them; members are required to maintain a certain
point balance."

 Eventually, members will "pay $10 monthly dues," but for now there is no charge
for the food, "though members pay a $7.75 transportation fee every time they
order a meal, which pays for a fleet of bicycle messengers and the 24-ounce
biodegradable bags to store the food, among other overhead expenses ... Members
create profiles and post dishes offered up on a particular day. They write a
narrative briefly explaining the meal, its ingredients, how it's prepared and
what kind of food it is. Other members sign up for portions of the meal," which
is then delivered by the bicyclists.

"We're still operating in an industrial age model in which we hoard everything
as consumers, but we can't do it anymore," says Ted. "We need to get more from
the depleted resources we have and share." Beyond food, the other resource
involved is "trust" -- since all dishes come from anonymous sources. Because
there's no money involved, Mealku is not subject to health-department
regulations. But the cooperative provides all members with food-safety
guidelines and conducts kitchen inspections. That's been good enough for
Jennifer Polland, a Mealku member who says her kitchen inspection was
"thorough," adding: "So far I've had really great experiences and I certainly
haven't gotten sick and the food's been awesome." ~ Tim Manners, editor.

Nora Lee
"'Now' is the operative word. You don't need endless time and perfect
conditions. Do it now. Do it today. ~Barbara Sher