[Lapg] Workshop: Sheet Mulching in Prep for an Edible Garden - REVISED DATES

W Talaro wtalaro at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 15 10:12:01 PST 2012

Days and Dates:
Saturday and Sunday, December 8-9, 2012

Time: 9A — 6P both
days

Address: Private
residence in Woodland Hills, CA. Out of respect for the host, address will be
released to registrants only.

Registration: $25 per person for the weekend. For more info and to register visit http://bit.ly/QZJo6x.

Additional info: Deadline
for online and snail mail registration is Tuesday, December 4th. Potluck supper
on Saturday. We need an accurate head count for snacks and beverages on
Saturday and Sunday.

Do you have a lawn or
a weedy eyesore you want to be rid of in preparation for a low-water use
landscape or an edible garden? Want to start off with a clean slate without
using poisons while enhancing soil fertility? How about suppressing most weed growth at the same time?

Would you like to save
yourself multiple weekends of hard labor that would be spent shoveling off the
sod (or save yourself the expense of paying for that service)? In gardening and
landscaping, labor is the largest variable cost involved by the very nature of
the work itself. Certainly a sheet mulch takes effort up front but the results
are worth it!

To work well, sheet mulches
	* need to be tailored to your garden goals because a sheet mulch in preparation for a garden of edibles is different from a sheet mulch for CA natives
	* need to be tailored to thwart the survival and propagation strategies of the plants you don’t want
	* are time sensitive – it matters what time of the year they are used
	* need to be selectively applied because there are situations in which a different technique will yield better results
	* need to be carefully applied around established plants you want to keep so that you don’t harm or accidently kill them
We’ll be covering all of this during the workshop and
more.

Learn sheet mulching
in this lecture/hands-on format workshop. We’ll be talking about the what, how,
and when of sheet mulching and then we’ll put concepts into practice. As an
exclusive bonus to attendees of this workshop, we will also cover key
principles behind ecologically intelligent garden design and dry stack
construction of raised garden beds with broken concrete (aka urbanite). Sign up now because this is the last sheet mulching
workshop that Urban/Suburban Ecoliteracy will be offering in Southern CA.
Got questions? Send an e-mail to questions (at) urban-suburban-ecoliteracy (dot) com.