[Lapg] Sustainable Tourism & Development Workshop in January Santa Fe Jan 11, 12, 13 2003

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Dec 18 16:06:32 PST 2012

*January Workshop at SFCC Features Sustainable Tourism*

*Carbon Economy Series Continues **Friday-Sunday, January 11-13*

*What*: *Responsible Models for Tourism and Development Workshop*
The fourth workshop in a series that focuses on sustainable practices,
Sustainable Tourism and Development will cover the basics of sustainable
tourism, global trends, and strategies for how services and products can
meet the triple bottom line of people, planet and profits.

*Who: *Presenter *Daniel Mirabal* is an urban planner with more than 27
years of experience as a consultant in sustainable economic development,
working with US and Latin American businesses and government agencies.
*Maria Boccalandro* is the sustainability project coordinator at
Mountain View College in Dallas.

*When*: *Friday, Jan. 11, 7-9 p.m.* A public talk about sustainable tourism.
*Saturday, Jan. 12, and Sunday, Jan. 13, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.* The
workshops will dig deeper into the products and services of sustainable
tourism, and culminate with participants working on their own projects
to develop a clearer idea of next steps that will move the projects from
ideas to reality.

*                             Where:* Santa Fe Community College, Jemez
Rooms, 6401 Richards Ave, Santa Fe.

*Cost:* Friday night talk: $10. Saturday's or Sunday's workshop: $175.
Fri-Sun: $300

* *

*To Register:* www.carboneconomyseries.com
<http://www.carboneconomyseries.com>, 505- 819-3828
<tel:505-%20819-3828> or 818-913-2877 <tel:818-913-2877>

*                            Contact: *Iginia Boccalandro, Carbon
Economy Series, Office 505-819-3828 <tel:505-819-3828>, Cell
818-913-2877 <tel:818-913-2877>

* *

*Of Note:* The eight-month Carbon Economy Series is hosted by Santa Fe
Community College. The series, which focuses on sustainable practices
for food, water and survival, began in Fall 2012 and continues through
Spring 2013. Carbon Economy Series is dedicated to providing the highest
quality teachers to teach theory and practical knowledge that can
produce food, restore habitat, build community and empower citizens to
tread more lightly on the Earth.

/For more than 29 years, Santa Fe Community College has been the gateway
to success for individuals and the community by providing affordable,
high quality educational programs that serve the social, cultural,
technological and economic needs of a diverse community. The college
serves more than 15,000 students per year in its credit, noncredit and
adult basic education programs. For further information, visit
www.sfcc.edu <http://www.sfcc.edu> or call 505-428-1000
<tel:505-428-1000>. //Follow us: //SFCC on Facebook/
<http://www.facebook.com/SFCCNM>/, //SFCC on Twitter/
<http://twitter.com/SFCCNM>/./

SUSTAINABLE TOURISM is more than ECO TOURISM

Sustainable tourism and sustainable development is a theme in Santa Fe
that is extremely pertinent. Mayor Koss and Dr. Ortego, former President
of SFCC, discussed the need for our city to look at the principles of
sustainable tourism last year. Crucial to this understanding is the
importance of following the triple bottom line: people, planet and
profit. Guiding an industry based on how it impacts people, the
environment and the revenue stream creates a better world that is more
sustainable. When people visit New Mexico they have a chance to learn,
experience and participate in this unique and rich milieu.

We depend on tourism as an industry and the way we address this powerful
economic force can make all the difference. Santa Fe is a showcase for
many things including art, culture and progressive ideas, some of which
are sustainable living and local, organic food production. The Santa Fe
Farmer's market is a perfect example of collaboration between farmers,
businesses, the city and non profits teaming up to produce a weekly
cornucopia of fresh food and Santa Fe's primo social hot spot.

Tourism fluctuates between high season and low season making it hard to
keep employees and income during the low season. So what can we do
during the low season that could have aggregate value in the long run?
In addition, how can we improve finances by reducing waste, increasing
efficiency, reducing the amount of inputs and increasing yield? Eco
tourism touches on the idea that we must reduce the negative impact of
the visitor on the place visited. This perspective is attractive to
youth all over the world and a place of unity amongst world citizens. It
is only the beginning and we must go beyond eco tourism to sustainable
tourism.

It is for this reason that when an industry like tourism commits to ZERO
waste the impact is enormous. Like ants or even bees, critters we love,
tourists come and go to Santa Fe by the millions cross pollinating
ideas, customs and initiatives. Creating a dynamic synthesis of
traditions and the possibility for innovation and creativity is one of
the benefits.

Tourism in itself offers a series of challenges and opportunities to
reduce the carbon footprint. These opportunities can be explored in
Santa Fe with the Carbon Economy Series on January 11,12,14 2013 at
Santa Fe Community College. Maria Boccalandro PhD and Daniel Mirabal
from Arete Consulting Group will address the challenges in the intensive
Sustainable Tourism and Sustainable Development workshop. Look at our
web page for more information www.carboneconomyseries.com
<http://www.carboneconomyseries.com> or call 505 819-3828

The way you spell my name is:

Iginia boccalandro