[Lapg] food waste recycling

Dennis Pilien dpilien98 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 22:58:14 PST 2013

Dear Permies et al,
Could you suggest what I could do or have the business do that has maybe more than 100 pounds of fruit trimmings per day as just trash thrown in their dumpster everyday. The trimmings are very clean and include mostly watermelon rinds, cantaloupe rinds and strawberries cut in half. Some days they have much more but the results are always the same. They throw everything away. It seems like such a waste. This also happens at almost all of the other local restaurants also. Is this untapped substrate for earthworms or mushrooms only to decompose and use?  How about use as an animal feedstock? Which animal(s)?  It seems that their may be a more environmental approach to their wasteful practices. I am not looking to make money as a consultant on this. I just want to end some wasteful practices environmentally. Please advise as to what an ordinary person like myself, can do. Please forward as needed. I asked the NPO Earth Resources Foundation in Newport Beach
 what to do and they told me to go to their USZWBC conference tomorrow. That costs $100 to attend. That was their answer. The U.S. Zero Waste Management Business Council (USZWBC.org) is another one I could check next, but they probably have an answer that will also cost me. Hope you can help. I can share your response with all to help others.
Towards sustainability,
Thanks,
Dennis Pilien, environmentaly concerned LAPG 2006