[Lapg] SoCal Permaculture Convergence March 9-10 & Permaculture Earthworks Workshop March 6-8

Footer diego.crfg at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 16:07:46 PST 2013

2013 Southern California Permaculture Convergence: March 9-10, 2013

at the Sky Mountain Institute in Escondido, CA
Featuring Keynote Speaker Paul Wheaton (permies.com)

Tickets $75.00 - Buy Tickets HERE
Space is limited.

Southern California Permaculture Convergence Homepage
Visit our Facebook page
Contact: Michelle, info at edgeandelement.com

Permaculture Earthworks Workshop with Paul Wheaton: March 6-8, 2013
at the Sky Mountain Institute in Escondido, CA

$400 Early Bird Rate (Paid in full by February 15, 2013)TO REGISTER CLICK HERE
Space is limited.
Contact: Diego, diego.crfg at yahoo.com

Increase your knowledge of permaculture earthworks during this hands
on 3 day workshop taught by Paul Wheaton.   You will be able to watch a
raw San Diego hillside side go through a permaculture design process.
 From mapping to final construction to planting out of the
installations.  It will all be done during these 3 days.  Currently an
estimated 350,000 gallons of runoff water runs down through the property
 untouched.  Some of the earthworks (swales, ponds) designed and constructed in this
class will be placed and designed to alter this erosive overland flow
and to maximize water capture and retention in the landscape.
Earthworks will be constructed to create cool zones to give plants a
reprieve from the hot summer sun and shield them from the local winds.
The earthworks will be mulched and the construction of a food forest
will take place with the planting of cover crops, fruit trees, and
support species trees.  Course participants will have the opportunity
for hands on participation and to contribute during the design process
and work on all of the earthworks.
FULL WORKSHOP DETAILS HERE

Southern California Convergence Lectures and Workshops

Keynote Speech- Paul Wheaton- 60 Permaculture Tinkers in 60 Minutes, HUSP and More

Native Edibles Cooking Class- Alden and Ann Hough
Enjoy a wild edible plant walk around Harmony Grove with Alden and Ann
Food preparation class and find out how to:
   * Safely identify and respectfully forage wild edible plants
   * Incorporate these plants in their food forests
   * Prepare delicious, nutritious recipes
   * Discover how our health can benefit from including these plants in our dietto add text, images, and other content
Fruit Tree Grafting & Care Workshop- Ben Kotnik
Learn about fruit tree propagation through
grafting.  Class will cover basic grafting principles and techniques
applicable to many trees, as well as some more advanced aspects not
shown in books or videos.  A limited number of dwarf Apple trees will be available for participants to graft, and purchase if desired.  We will
also field graft a few established trees on the property to fit multiple varieties on one tree, conserving space in the garden and allowing for a progressive harvest.  Grafting is fun and the best way to keep
heirlooms and other rare varieties from disappearing forever.
Permaculturists should also be propagators; after all it’s a generative
process!
Passive Buliding Design- Candace Vanderhoff
Strategies and techniques to heat and cool buildings without using mechanical
systems. Presentation is a hands-on, design workshop that will allow
everyone to participate and contribute with the final outcome some very
interesting ideas.
San Diego Water and Agriculture:  Past, Present, and Future- Josh Robinson
Water and food go hand in hand and are
inexplicably linked to habitation of Southern California. This slideshow will look at how people have lived and settled in the San Diego region
from indigenous to early immigrants to modern day society as a means to
understand how San Diego could look in the future
The Sun Crop Spectacular- San Diego Seed Company
Learn what plants grow best in our hot
summers, how to care for them and what to watch out for.  Learn the keys to year-round production and the secrets of pollination and seed
saving.
Introduction to Permaculture Design- Michelle Bernson
Come learn the basic design principles to start planning a permaculture design. We'll go over the key concepts and
design principles surrounding this vast subject.  We'll dive into what
is needed to start your design and how you can begin to change your
landscape into a more earth friendly, responsible place.
The Importance of Including Wildlife Habitat- Diane Kennedy
What is the difference between dirt and
soil?  In this session we will examine soil samples, discuss the
planting combinations in a food forest, and explain how plants
communicate. We will also talk about why planting natives and providing
for habitat is vital.  Most importantly we will explore how you can use
this knowledge to activiate your own garden soil organically without
spending huge amounts of money.
Making Money Selling Directly to Eaters- Mark Wall
Learn how to generate income selling in your community and at local events including farmers markets.  Testing what
will sell, gathering information from customers and potential customers, and taking advantage of the new cottage food law that allows some home
processing.
Uncovering Authentic Community- Raffi Aftandelian
Come for a short presentation and then a
conversation based on the ideas presented.  We are going to be talking
about what a complex time we are living in, which requires more and more capacity for very different people and groups to be able to collaborate effectively. We are currently working on an unspoken assumption that if you bring people together who care about something, that it will all
work out. But will it really? There is certain something, perhaps it can be called "authentic community", that is necessary.  Community - in a
sense- is soil for human life. Yet, it is worth examining what we mean
by community, how it is created and how it is sustained.
Urban Backyard Chickens- Britt Cool
An overview of raising chickens in an urban yard, including explanations about:
    - local laws and codes
- needs and requirements of chickens
    - building a chicken coop
    - proper feed for the birds
    - care and feeding of urban chickens
    - what to do with a sick chicken
    - use of chicken poop in the garden
Tai Chi Flow- Claudia F.
Get "in the Zone" through flowing gentle
movements like Tai Chi and other arts, that will stretch your body and
awaken your senses. Tai Chi is an ancient Martial Art originated from
China, practiced for self-defense and for its health benefits. No skills needed for this easy-to-follow class. Focusing the mind solely on the
slow movements helps achieve a state of mental calm and clarity similar
to deep meditation.
Become a Sustainable Family- Amy Hite
A sustainable family creates a safe,
positive, and supportive environment allowing all family members to
thrive and develop their fullest potential.  Topics of discussion will
include communication, parenting, and growing food, reducing waste,
finances, self-sufficiency, holistic health, community and more.
Introduction to Fertility Awareness- Hannah Ransom
This talk will include what fertility awareness is, discussing the difference between fertility awareness and the
rhythm method, the hormones of the menstrual cycle, how the hormones
change biologic markers that are apparent to you (thus forming the basis of the use of this method as birth control or pregnancy achievement),
how to learn the method, benefits you can get from charting, and who is
an appropriate candidate for using fertility awareness as birth control.
Hillside Gardening- Connie Beck
There is more to planting a slope than ice
plant!  This class will help you choose wisely for hillside plantings
relying on a variety of types of plants for interest, beauty, and soil
stabilization.   Pathways, steps, mulching and irrigation methods will
also be discussed.  The PowerPoint presentation features many photos to
illustrate examples of good ways to handle slopes as well as less
successful plantings you will want to avoid.
Companion Planting- Michelle Bernson
Companion planting throughout the landscape
is an important part of integrated pest management.  Learn how to use
Companion planting as a holistic concept that will fit perfectly into
your permaculture designs.  By using companion planting, many gardeners
find that they can discourage harmful pests without losing the
beneficial allies.  Companion planting can combine beauty and purpose to give you an enjoyable, healthy environment.
Greywater Reclamation- Bob Lloyd
Get a Virtual tour of an experimental
greywater reclamation system that includes a constructed wetland which
supports a wide diversity of aquatic life including dragonfly larva,
tadpoles, frogs, diving beetles, and many other native aquatic
organisms.  Water from the constructed wetland is used for all current
irrigation needs, supplying a drip system to a garden and 50 small fruit trees.  Along with a 10,000 gallon pond/rainwater catchment/Koi system. 1 inch of rain yields about 1000gal. Get a peek at a liner that was
designed to withstand sunlight exposure and has other superior
characteristics to commercially available liners.  We’ll wrap up with a
brief presentation on environmental toxins and even look at some water
samples!
Peak Phosphorous and N-Pee-K:  Urine in Agriculture Today and Tomorrow- Charles Anacker
The class will present the facts about Peak Phosphorus and how this
critical resource to our agriculture is only found in significant
quantities in the United States, China, and the disputed territory of
the Western Sahara that is currently controlled by Morocco. Even this
supply is running out and the cost to agriculture is going to
significantly decrease and crop yields will go down and people will be
without food. Currently, we are literally flushing this valuable
resource away as we have broken the bicycle and we harvest minerals and
other nutrients from the soil, never returning them, and so we are
depleting our top soils at a frightening rate. Sweden and Finland, two
countries that have no phosphorous to mine, have taken a leading role
with creating systems to collect and recycle urine as a fertilizer,
capturing significant quantities of NPK and other valuable and plant
absorbable nutrients and have also shared this information along with
the World Health Organization with third world countries that cannot
afford chemical fertilizers and other imported agricultural inputs. The
result has been an increase in crop yields, improved soil fertility,
improved sanitation, and prosperity. The class will suggest easy methods to apply this to home gardens, aquaculture, and farms.
Raw Food Class-Jenn Shultz
Join Raw Food Chef Jenn Shultz as she teaches you to make two Alchemy & Craft dishes with local & raw ingredients!
The class includes a step by step demonstration of how to prepare a
delicious meal with organic, vegan, gluten free and raw ingredients. We
will make a creamy hummus dip and a delicious, filling wrap with local
ingredients, many of which you can grow in your food forest or while
wild foraging! Each participant will receive written instructions,
recipes and samples.
Holistic, Local, Seasonal Foods-Jessica Kramer
Come join me for this super fun, hands-on discussion focusing on the health
benefits of eating local, sustainable foods! Emphasis on "Spring
Cleaning", how to use the abundant foods of spring to feel like a
million bucks! You will learn where to get these amazing foods and how
to turn them into magically delicious treats for you & those you
love. We will also discuss the dangers of processed foods, labeling
deceptions and how to avoid them.
Building a Beehive and Introduction to Bee Keeping- Erik Collins
Come for an Introduction to Bee Keeping and get some hands-on experience on building your own bee hive!
The Secret Life of Plants:  How Plants Control the World Around Them- Jill Richardson
Puke, Purge and Sweat: The Logic of Western Herbal Therapeutics- Joanne Odenthal, Cindy and Rebekah
Level: Intermediate to Advanced
Learn
the logic behind Western herbal practice and the types of herbs that
induce different reactions in the body. In order to choose the
appropriate herb or herbs for a condition, it’s important to know
whether the effect will be diaphoretic, diuretic, laxative, purifying or tonifying (to name a few actions). We’ll discuss the actions of a
number of important Western herbs, share samples, and demonstrate one
way to create an herbal formula.
Beginning Herbal Remedies Demonstration Workshop- Joanne Odenthal, Cindy and Rebekah
Level: Beginner
Learn how to make basic herbal remedies for yourself and your family. Joanne, Cindy and Rebekah are Clinical Herbalists who believe in grassroots, community herbalism. We’ll demonstrate techniques and share samples, including some of our
favorite remedies to add to your home remedy toolkit. Recipes provided!
Tour of Sky Mountain Institute's Permaculture Demonstration Gardens- Alden Hough
Join Alden for this tour when he will show
you the many permaculture  features that have been created in the Sky
Mountain demonstration  gardens.  These include rainwater harvesting
earthworks, grey water  systems, roof water catchments, ponds, food
forests and many more!

Aquaponics: an Introduction- Rob Howard
Aquaponics is a sustainable food production system that combines raising fish and
plants in a symbiotic environment. Fish waste accumulates in the water,
increasing the ammonia content. Water is pumped through material
friendly to bacteria, breaking down the ammonia into nitrates and
nitrites for the plants to grow. The plants absorb the nitrogen and
leave clean water to flow back for the fish.

Rob’s system is a series of ponds and waterfalls that lead water through
planting areas. It is heated with a rocket stove mass heater. It was
created using cement ponds, holes lined with rubber, and modified food
storage “totes.” Topics will include creating water flow, types of fish
and plants to use, best materials for bacteria, use of worms,
application of permaculture principles, construction of the mass heater
and rocket stove, and water collection.  Time will be made for group discussion and sharing of experiences and trial and error.
What We Can do to Help the Bees- Geoff Kipps-Bolton
Bees are absolutely vital to provide
abundant, varied food. Beekeeping is a rare example of mankind
introducing a non-native species for his own benefit and it not becoming a disaster.  Geoff believes that not only are the bees at risk,
beekeepers are also under threat. If we don’t allow, no, encourage,
people to accept bees and even learn how to keep bees, a valuable skill
will be lost, one which mankind may not be able to do without!
So you may ask, ‘What can we do to help the bees?’  Come and find out!
Ruminations on Environmental Remediation- Ryan Unmack
Ryan has begun to put together a new talk
about environmental remediation for a permaculture audience.  It will be sure to include information about the conventional remediation process
with shared practical experiences with ground water cleanup, soil gas
mitigation, and soil remediation.  I will also pull in divergent
experiences in low cost bio-remediation for the developing world based
on experiments being conducted as part of a PhD study by Henry Haller
Co-founder of Finca Montesano.  In presenting an approach for the
developing world and conventional remediation practices for the
developed world, it is sure that some interesting and perplexing
permacultural questions will be raised.
Building a Food Forest- Joey D'Elia
Let's explore the layers and function of a forest. Come for an outdoor look
at a food forest and how to create one. If you like trees this class is
for you! Learn about the needs and wants of trees and how they enjoy
living together. Looking to the wisdom of the forest is a very nice path to permanence.
Practical Perspective for Homescale Water Design in Southern California- Brook Sarson

Remember the first Principle of Permaculture Design: Long and Thoughtful
Observation.  Let's observe how rainwater tanks, greywater systems, and
earthworks can Work together to empower Southern California homeowners
to work towards water consciousness.
There are many elements to assess when designing for home-scale water
resources in Southern California.  As Permaculture Designers, we want to ensure that we aren't simply picking a "cool" strategy as a
one-size-fits-all solution.  We can present the best options to our
clients and our communities by careful observation and a deeper
understanding of our area's water portrait.
We will explore some common, simple solutions that are working in San
Diego including costs, materials, best practices, and resources.
Basic Ecology for Permaculture- Jane Higginson
As defined by Bill Mollison, founder of permaculture, it is the “conscious design … of agriculturally productive ecosystems which have the
diversity, stability, and resilience of natural ecosystems …
Permaculture design is a system of assembling … components in a pattern
which functions to benefit life in all its forms … working with, rather
than against, nature.”
But what are ecosystems, especially “natural” ecosystems? What makes them
resilient? What could be meant by “benefit life in all its forms”?  This lecture will explore these and other pertinent questions you may be
asking yourself such as: “Why are there so many gophers in my yard?” “Am I at the tippy-top of the food chain?” “Ouch -- am I in a biodiversity
hotspot?” “What is ‘edge’ and how can I get more of it?” Does energy
flow -- or does it cycle, or does it loop the loop?” “What habitat is
that?” “Is my site succeeding in succession?”
Your observations, questions and comments will be (briefly) entertained.
Becoming a Sustainable Family- Amy Hite

A sustainable family creates a safe, positive, and supportive environment allowing all family members to thrive and develop their fullest
potential.  Topics of discussion will include
communication, parenting, and growing food, reducing waste, finances,
self-sufficiency, holistic health, community and more.
Riparian Landscapes- Jacob Hatch
This will be a hands-on class on the
installation, maintenance and importance of the Riparian Landscape in a
natural pond setting.
Using Native Plants in a Permaculture Landscape- Greg Rubin