[Lapg] News Story about Joan Stevens/Arcadia teacher struggles to save school permaculture garden

Lois Arkin crsp at igc.org
Sun Jun 16 10:50:04 PDT 2013

Hey Joan,
Let us know if you think letters of support from the permaculture
networks will help.  I have been through this many times over the past
few decades with LAUSD, and it has worked to save our outdoor classroom
in the 1990s and to save the corner for the multi-school learning garden
which is now in development here in L.A. Eco-Village.

Let us know who to write to.

Good luck.  Your work is wonderful!

Love,
Lois

---------------------------------------

Arcadia teacher struggles to save school permaculture garden
By James Figueroa, Staff Writer
http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_23470632/arcadia-teacher-struggles-save-school-permaculture-garden

Biology teacher Joan Stevens is trying to save the permaculture garden
she cultivated at Arcadia High School from becoming concrete planter
boxes as the school modernizes, Thursday, June 13, 2013. (SGVN/Staff
Photo by Sarah Reingewirtz)

Biology students pull weeds Thursday, June 13, 2013 in a permaculture
garden at Arcadia High School that biology teacher Joan Stevens is
trying to save from becoming concrete planter boxes as the school
modernizes.

Gallery: Arcadia High School's permaculture garden
ARCADIA - The permaculture garden at Arcadia High School is hidden
behind a tall, red picket fence. It's overgrown and many students don't
even realize it's there.

Its wild look and lily-padded pond also clash with the carefully
manicured trees, small bushes and clean concrete benches that mark the
landscape throughout the rest of the campus.

However, the garden's existence is important enough to biology teacher
Joan Stevens that she's trying to save it from being bulldozed as part
of major renovation and construction at the school.

"It's not an aesthetic that everyone likes," Stevens said. "I recognize
that my aesthetic is different than what the school is trying to create."

But perma-culture gardens have also grown in popularity, and Stevens
enjoys teaching her students about sustainable practices, such as
leaving tree cuttings on the ground to act as mulch.

"It's amazing. It's gorgeous, why would they tear this down?" sophomore
Josh Bay said Thursday, after helping out on some maintenance on the
last day of school.

Sitting on a plot of land between classroom buildings, the garden was
also next to an old greenhouse that was damaged during windstorms in
2011. The greenhouse has now been torn down as part of the renovation work.

Given two weeks to come up with a plan to save the garden, Stevens -
with the help of landscape architect Marco Barrantes - has submitted a
proposal to school administrators to add a semicircular amphitheater and
teaching platform that would be part of an outdoor classroom.

Anyone from math to English teachers could then use that space for lessons.

Stevens has already received positive feedback from the science
department and Principal Brent Forsee, who told her the idea is viable
if it's not too costly.

"He said if it's comparable, then great, let's do this," Stevens said.

Foresee, who participated in Arcadia's graduation ceremony Friday,
couldn't be reached for comment.

Arcadia Unified School District declined comment in an email from
Assistant Superintendent Christina Aragon, who noted the plan is under
review.

The district is performing construction through Measure I, a $218
million bond program passed by voters in 2006.

While the proposal to save the garden might work, it will require some
help by other teachers and possibly student clubs to keep it maintained,
and it will have to fit in with the rest of the campus instead of being
fenced off.

That means letting the garden take on a larger role as part of Arcadia's
school culture.

"It's up to me to let go of my garden," Stevens said.

Read
more:http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_23470632/arcadia-teacher-struggles-save-school-permaculture-garden#ixzz2WOPiK8ko