[Lapg] This Monday, 8/26, the story of CUBA!

Carter Bo Wallace carterbwallace at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 10:51:56 PDT 2013

Hi Fam!

I'm not sure if this has been blasted yet, but even if it has, it deserves
another round. This Monday brings what will likely be one of the year's
great events in LA.  We will have an incredible opportunity to travel to
Cuba with storyteller extraordinaire, and Permaculture Master Teacher
Roberto Perez.  See below, and I'll see you Monday!

Monday, August 26, 6:30-9pm 2013
The Shed
$15/advance $20/door
Featuring Live Cuban Music with Los Estimados.
A benefit for the Eleventh International Permaculture Convergence
Scholarships

The Shed hosts Roberto Perez, Cuban environmental educator featured in the
award winning documentary, "The Power of Community, How Cuba Survived Peak
Oil" currently in the U.S. promoting the 11th International Permaculture
Convergence (IPC11) to be held in Cuba in November of 2013.

The Living Planet Report from the World Wildlife Fund in 2007 identified
Cuba as the only sustainable country in the world. The study involved two
key parameters for measuring sustainable development, a commitment to
"improving the quality of human life while living within the carrying
capacity of supporting ecosystems". Cuba was the ONLY country on earth to
achieve satisfactory benchmarks in both criteria for sustainable
development.

Formerly importing most of its food, Cuba's agriculture is now 95% organic,
with the city of Havana producing over 60% of its own fruits and vegetables
within the city's urban spaces. At the same time, Cuba has been engaging in
a massive reforestation campaign, and has invested massively in alternative
energy production, with a focus on solar and biofuels.

A small island nation with 11,000,000 people, struggling with poverty,
devastating tropical storms, and the U.S. Embargo, how did Cuba achieve
these goals and distinction? What can we learn from Cuba's struggles and
successes?

Born in Havana in 1970, Roberto Perez is the Environmental Education &
Biodiversity Conservation Program Director of the Antonio Núñez Jiménez
Foundation for Nature and Humanity, the oldest environmental organization
in Cuba. A graduate of the University of Havana with a degree in Biological
Sciences, he later did post graduate specialization in Community Based
Natural Resources Management at the University of Nova Scotia, Canada.

Roberto has been part of the Cuban Permaculture movement since its
introduction in the country in 1993 after the so called "Special Period",
caused by the collapse of the Soviet Union when Cuba lost access to oil,
fertilizers, pesticides, and virtually all trading partners that the small
island nation depended on to survive, facing economic collapse overnight.
Roberto has traveled extensively presenting Cuba's approach to sustainable
living in the face of declining petroleum and other non-renewable resources.

As part of the Cuban Organizing Group for the upcoming International
Permaculture Convergence in November, Roberto is touring the U.S. in
support of scholarships for IPC11 attendees from sometimes cash poor, but
skill rich countries and USA, wanting to attend and share their work &
projects with other Permaculturists from around the world.

Traditionally International Permaculture Convergences take place every 2
years and switch between continents & hemispheres.
Past host sites have been Australia, USA, New Zealand, Scandinavia, Nepal,
Croatia, Brazil, Africa & most recently Jordan in the Middle East.

The event takes place on Monday, August 26, 6:30pm-9pm at The Shed 1355
Lincoln Ave Pasadena, CA 91103. $15/advance $20/door Info, (626) 421-6185,
info at lalomadevelopment.com
www.lalomadevelopment.com

--
Carter Wallace
Co-Founder, The Institute of Urban

"There is one, and only one, solution, and we have almost no time to try
it. We must turn all our resources to repairing the natural world, and
train all our young people to help. They want to. We need to give them this
last chance to create forests, soils, clean waters, clean energies, secure
communities, stable regions, and to know how to do it from hands-on
experience."
"...the greatest change we need to make is from consumption to production,
even if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only 10% of us do this,
there is enough for everyone. Hence the futility of revolutionaries who
have no gardens, who depend on the very system they attack, and who produce
words and bullets, not food and shelter."
- Bill Mollison