[Lapg] Looking for an urban homestead

sarah dougherty sarahdough at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 09:13:44 PDT 2013

Dear LAPG,

I am relocating back to Los Angeles from Northern California and am
thankful to have this community to reach out to.

I am seeking a spot of land (or cement) to temporarily (perhaps 3-4 months
max) put a pop-up camper.
Rather than paying rent, I am interested in supporting a lifestyle in the
city based on farming and natural building. I have experience gardening and
want to expand my toolkit to include building a dry-compost toilet, an
outdoor shower and/or cob tub, and greywater systems.

If you or someone you know in the Los Angeles area could possibly host me,
please reply! I can pay rent for my square-footage and utilities as needed,
in addition to laboring on any household chores and building projects you
have going on. I want to learn and live as off-the-grid as possible in LA,
to show that it is indeed possible.

Finally, I am looking into purchasing land, perhaps, for my own urban
homestead, but as of now find the building codes so incredibly daunting
that I feel a bit stuck. If anyone has had success working around the codes
with their natural structures (albeit there might need to be one permanent
dwelling installed before alternative buildings can happen; is there any
way for that one permanent dwelling to be built naturally?) your advice and
knowledge gained would be invaluable.

Thank you for any and all ideas, guidance as I navigate new non-permanent
living ideas in Los Angeles!

Love,
Sarah

http://www.roomportraits.com