[Lapg] This Sunday, The Past, Present and Future of LA Agriculture

Carter Bo Wallace carterbwallace at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 13:01:47 PDT 2013

*The Shed | 1355 Lincoln Ave. | Pasadena, CA 91103*

*3pm Meet & Greet
4-6pm Presentations
6-7pm Networking*

"Until the 1950s, Los Angeles County was the top agricultural county in the
U.S. From approximately 1910 to 1955, this was it; it was bigger than Iowa
or any of those Midwestern states in terms of its agriculture. We grew
everything here." Rachel Surls
<http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_focus/history/bringing-back-urban-agriculture-to-la-communities-30290.html>

>From top agricultural county in the US from 1910-1955 to food desert. Until
very recently, parkway gardens were still
illegal<http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0731-lopez-gardencops-20130731,0,5680891.column>
in
the City of Los Angeles, and residents were being issued $400 fines for
planting edible parkway gardens in areas that are considered food deserts.
Come to The Shed to discuss the past, present and future of urban
agriculture in Los Angeles, and how we can shape current policy to
encourage our communities to grow food, not lawns.

$10/Advance <http://theshedpasadena.bpt.me/> $15/Door
For more information please contact
info at lalomadevelopment.com
<info at lalomadevelopment.com?subject=Urban%20Agriculture-The%20Shed>Presented
by La Loma Development

Partners:
Huntington Catering
The Institute of Urban Ecology

(626) 421-6185 ph
LaLomaDevelopment.com
Event Time:
 09/29/2013 - 3:00pm
[image: application/pdf
icon]theshedurbanag.pdf<http://www.lalomadevelopment.com/sites/default/files/theshedurbanag.pdf>

--
Carter Wallace
Co-Founder, The Institute of Urban

"There is one, and only one, solution, and we have almost no time to try
it. We must turn all our resources to repairing the natural world, and
train all our young people to help. They want to. We need to give them this
last chance to create forests, soils, clean waters, clean energies, secure
communities, stable regions, and to know how to do it from hands-on
experience."
"...the greatest change we need to make is from consumption to production,
even if on a small scale, in our own gardens. If only 10% of us do this,
there is enough for everyone. Hence the futility of revolutionaries who
have no gardens, who depend on the very system they attack, and who produce
words and bullets, not food and shelter."
- Bill Mollison