[Los Angeles, CA Permaculture] Holistic Management® Whole Farm/Ranch Planning and Holistic Planned Grazing 06/17/2014 - 06/19/2014 The Farm Tennessee

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun May 18 13:32:12 PDT 2014

http://www.spiralridgepermaculture.com/events/introduction-to-holistic-management-whole-farmranch-planning-and-holistic-planned-grazing/

Holistic Management® Whole Farm/Ranch Planning and Holistic Planned Grazing 1
The Farm School
151 Schoolhouse Rd. - Summertown , Tn
Details

Map data ©2014 Google
Terms of Use
Report a map error

Date/Time
Date(s) - 06/17/2014 - 06/19/2014
All Day

Location
The Farm School

Category

Advanced Permaculture Design
Holistic Management
Keyline Design
Regenerative Earthworks

Above photo:  Two properties at Date Creek, Arizona. Same climate and soils. Same day. Different management.
Holistic Management® Whole Farm/Ranch Planning and Holistic Planned Grazing with Owen Hablutzel
June 17-19, 2014
Join us for a fun-filled three-day workshop* where you will learn optimal, highly-effective and proven ways to plan for and achieve the full power of the Holistic Management approach for your land, your animals, your profits and your quality of life. The workshop will include classroom, as well as, outdoor exercises and pasture walks for a full learning experience!

Side by side comparison of standard management (left) and Holistic management (right) planned grazing by the Grazing Lands Conservation Initiative (GLCI), Texas during the drought of 2012

*There is also an option to attend only the first day of this workshop for a basic introduction to Holistic Management planning, without attending the following two days on HolisticPlanned Grazing and Biological Monitoring.  Select the appropriate ticket below to register for the one day Introduction to Holistic Management course, June 17, 2014

What is Holistic Management?  In agriculture, it is a systems thinking approach to managing resources that was originally developed by Allan Savory for reversing desertification.  The Savory Institute states that “Holistic Management results in ecologically regenerative, economically viable and socially sound management of the world’s grasslands”.  Holistic management has been acknowledged by The United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service USDA-NRCS.

Farmers and Ranchers who have learned Holistic Management as a planning framework experience a wide variety of positive results:

80% report increased profits
91% report improved quality of life
100% increase in management for bio-diversity

How to use the power of the Holistic Management approach to create and enact an optimal customized vision for your operation
How to reliably make more effective decisions that will move you towards your goals more rapidly
Understanding ecosystem processes and how you can leverage their free benefits
Why managing wholes is the future of agriculture
 How to get your livestock to the right place at the right time for the right reasons and with the right behavior
Maximizing your stocking rate
Planning your grazing to increase your profits from meat, milk, or fiber
How to utilize the tools of grazing and animal impact to create the healthy future landscape you want
Why stock density, and herd effect are the grazier’s most powerful land management tool for results
Maximize production (and profitability) from both land and animals
Grazing planning for both the growing season and the non-growing season
Keeping animal performance high through planned grazing
How to plan for drought and minimize capital losses
Integrate all activities with your grazing plan to avoid stress, surprises and to save money
Matching your forage and livestock resources
Evaluating pasture and range condition through Biological Monitoring
Getting the most out of your pastures
How to evaluate forage supply and quality
Understanding plant physiology, recovery, and interactions with animals

Instructor:
Owen Hablutzel is a Keyline Design® consultant and Holistic Management® Certified Educator working in the U.S. and internationally.  Trained under the world’s leading Keyline consultant, Darren Doherty (heenandoherty.com), Owen has been successfully working to transform soils and fertility, and to increase whole landscape hydration through regenerative techniques since 2007.  By working together with farms, ranches, and land managing organizations his integrated and dynamic approach is helping to create more fertile landscapes, robust farm economies, and resilient watersheds.

Day 1 – Holistic Management Essentials (this day can be taken alone, ticket available below)

Land in Australia before Holistic Management

Principles of Effective Resource Management
Defining your Operational Whole
Generating Your Holistic Goal / Context
Understanding Your Environment – Reading the Land
Tools available for Management and their Effects
Holistic Decision-Making and Decision Tests
Developing a Management Feedback Loop
Day 2 and 3 – Holistic Planned Grazing

Reasons for Planning Your Grazing
Determining Stocking Rates
How to decide and manage Stock Density
Assessing Forage Availability
Grass and Grazing Interactions

Same land after holistic planned grazing.
Creating a Grazing Plan
Implementing your Grazing Plan
Design of Grazing Cells
Biological Monitoring for Range and Pasture
Wildlife Factors in Planning
Animal Performance
Grazing for Success
 Recommended Reading and Video:

Holistic Management : A New Framework for Decision-Making by Allan Savory and Jody Butterfield

Holistic Management Handbook: Healthy Land, Healthy Profits by Jody Butterfield, Sam Bingham and Allan Savory

http://permaculturenews.org/2013/05/03/cows-and-plows-transformation-solutions/

The Essence of Holistic Management by Ann Adams and Jody Butterfield – pdf here: http://www.lineaclave.org/web/images/stories/ManejoHolistico/Essence%20of%20HM.pdf

Holistic Management Overview: http://www.savoryinstitute.com/science/holistic-management-overview/how-holistic-management-works/

Holistic Planned Grazing:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHoh-OKUfU

Logistics for Course
This course venue is The Farm School, located within  The Farm Community.  We will also be taking field trips to a nearby farm for hands on grazing planning and biological monitoring.  Camping is included in the course fee.  Rustic dorms in a hostel or private rooms in are available for an additional fee.

We believe you should be well nourished during your stay so that you may fully participate.  For that reason, when you sign up for our course, we will provide three nutrient-dense and delicious, omnivorous meals a day, for free.  As much as possible, the food is sourced locally and is organic.  We include meats and vegetables from our (Spiral Ridge) homestead, probiotic rich fermented foods and we only use butter, olive oil, coconut oil or animal fats in our food.  No over processed, GMO laden junk.  We aim to embody the principles we teach about on every level.  Vegetarian (at a Holistic Management course!?)  Gluten Free?  No problem!  Let us know ahead of time and we will do our best to accommodate you.  If you have a very restrictive diet, you may need to bring some of your own food.

Tennessee in the summer is hot, humid and buggy, Oh My! Please consider a dorm bed if you are uncomfortable camping in this environment. Weather may be rainy as well.  Please come prepared for rain (rain boots, raincoat) and hot weather. Please bring short sleeved shirts, long-sleeved shirts (in case it is cool in the evening), a sunhat, bathing suit (possibility of swimming), sunscreen, sunglasses and bug spray if you use it.  There is a store on The Farm that carries many snacks, natural foods, and bug sprays as well.  Lightweight pants and socks are useful if we spend anytime in the woods or meadows.  It is advisable to tuck your pants into your socks when in the woods to keep any bugs off your legs.  You must bring your own towels and soaps.  It is advisable to also bring a flashlight.  Wifi will sometimes be available at The School, but is limited.  If you need to get online the store has wifi.  Cell phone reception is spotty, but we will show you where to best get reception.

Tuition – ask about group discounts for 4 or more people.

$425 Local Farmer Special – includes lunch only and no overnight accommodations.

$525 Regular Tuition – includes three meals/day and camping

Sign up for Holistic Management and add Keyline Design Course and get a discount!

Both courses, 6 consecutive days

Local Farmer Special – $800

Regular Tuition – $1000

Click here to read more about the Keyline Design Course and to register for it on it’s own.
Refund/Cancellation Policy
(If you sign up for both and  one course runs and one doesn’t, you still get $25 extra off)

Please click the link to read about our cancellation policy.

*Register early, space is limited.*  There is a 15 person minimum to run this course, so spread the word.

Check or Money Order

1. Send us the following information via email or include with your payment;  Name, address, phone number, email and how you found out about the course.

2. Send full course amount to:  Spiral Ridge Permaculture  444 Walker Road, Summertown, Tennessee 38483.

PayPal

1. Fill out online registration form

2. Choose a ticket type below.

Bookings
Ticket Type	Price	Spaces
Holistic Management & Keyline Course - 6 days - Regular Tuition
Includes 3 meals/day and camping	$1,000.00
Holistic Management & Keyline Design - 6 days - Local Farmer Special
Includes lunch only. No overnight accommodations.	$800.00
Holistic Management 3 Day - Regular Price
3 meals/day and camping included	$525.00
Holistic Management - 3 days - Local Farmer Special
Includes Lunch only. No overnight accommodations.	$425.00
One Day Introduction to Holistic Management June 17, 2014	$85.00