[Los Angeles, CA Permaculture] OJAI VALLEY GRANGE REVIVAL WEEK SCHEDULE Mar 15-22

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Mar 15 11:06:42 PDT 2015

OJAI VALLEY GRANGE REVIVAL WEEK SCHEDULE
http://grangefuture.org/ojai/

All proceeds of classes and events to benefit the restoration of the Grange. All classes are sliding scale, with kids under 18 at a discount. Grange members at a discount. All classes and events are at the Grange Hall, 381 Cruzero St., unless otherwise noted. Email us with questions at ojaivalleygrange at gmail.com

SUNDAY MARCH 15

10:00 Goat Milk Soapmaking for Kids by Karen Allred $10-25, 1.5 hrs. FULL

Bring your kids to learn to make cold process goat milk soaps, with different molds, colors and scents.  Students will learn safe techniques for making soap from scratch, and bring home 3-5 bars of their own creation.  Students should wear closed-toed shoes, long sleeves and bring protective goggles if they have them.  Kids under 12 should be supervised by an adult please!

She has been a Granger and officer for many years, mentoring hundreds of new goat owners and Grangers, while keeping an award-winning herd of nubian and oberhasli goats in Casitas Springs.  Her generosity with her goat wisdom has been such a gift to our community and we are honored to have her teach some classes for our Revival Week. She has raised dairy goats for over 25 years and believes in using their product.  She began making soap about 10 years ago for personal use but many people asked her to show them how so she began giving casual classes.  She’s not a professional but has fun soapmaking with others.

2:00 Growing a Food Forest by Ron Whitehurst @ Poco Farm ~free~ 2 hrs.

Learn how to set up a food forest, and grow too much food so you have to share it. Students will learn the basics of building a permaculture food forest for a suburban yard or small farm. Join us at Poco Farm in Meiner’s Oaks to learn how to  layer trees, shrubs, vines, vegetables, roots, and mushrooms to get many different kinds of food from a small space. We will also learn what grows well here and how to get (virtually) free plants.

Ron is a California licensed Pest Control Advisor and co-owner of Rincon-Vitova Insectaries, Inc. that produces and markets supplies for biological pest control. He has been communicating about organic methods of farming and gardening for over 30 years. Since 1997 he has promoted Rincon-Vitova’s mission by consulting in the field and lab, by phone and email. He guides people through the steps of creating and biologically managing ecosystems to minimize and control pests, using insect habitat, cultural methods, beneficial insects, and soft pesticides when needed. He is a project leader for the Dietrick Institute for Applied Insect Ecology, co-located with Rincon-Vitova, where he has done in cutting edge urban pest management demonstrations.

MONDAY MARCH 16

9:30 Soapmaking with Homemade Tallow by Casey Murphy $20-30, 3 hrs.

Learn to make cold process soap with homemade tallow from outdoor educator Casey Murphy. Students will bring home the soap they make in class. For all ages. Students under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. Please bring your own essential oils to scent your soap.

Casey has been practicing wilderness living/primitive skills for 15 years. His work has focused on primitive bow hunting and spearfishing. He strives to utilize as much as possible from the animals hunted, from hide to hoof.

5:30 Community Yoga with Katie Mundle $8-15, 1.25 hrs.

Join us for an all-level gentle yoga class. We’ll enliven our spirit through the breath and find a sense of grounding in our essential nature as we inhabit our bodies just as they are. Please bring a yoga mat if you have one, and perhaps an extra to share!

Katie moved to Ojai in late 2011, after taking a workshop at Lulu Bandha’s. She felt instantly welcomed into the community and is grateful to call this place her home. In Katie’s classes we are encouraged to listen to our own bodies and establish a connection to ourselves, each other, and the space around us. She believes we’re practicing yoga whenever we deliberately deepen the breath, whether hiking, squatting in the garden, or sitting at the computer – reading this bio :)

7:00 Introduction to Appalachian Flatfoot Dancing by Ruth Alpert $15-25, 1 hr.

Flatfooting (related to clogging) is the traditional, solo percussive foot dance that goes along with Southern Appalachian Mountain Music – fiddles, banjos, guitars, mandolins, etc. Your feet are a rhythm instrument, keeping the downbeat for the musicians with much room for personal expression and style. No previous dance experience necessary!

Ruth Alpert has been flatfooting for 34 years.  She has taught workshops, danced with old-time Appalachian string bands, busked (street performed) in various cities in at least 6 states.   She currently is the percussion section of The Honeysuckle Possums, a local Santa Barbara all female Americana band.

TUESDAY MARCH 17

9:30 Beginning Cheesemaking taught by Megan Hooker & Grace Malloy $20-35, 2 hrs.  FULL

Learn how to make ricotta, chevre and mozzarella cheeses using both cow and goat milk, and sample the cheeses you make.  Each student will take home 3 recipes and their own butter muslin cheesecloth.

Grace Malloy is a farm-based educator at Poco Farm and midwife’s assistant with the Santa Barbara Midwives.  She and her husband Dan run Poco Farm, a small farmstead in downtown Meiner’s Oaks where kids of all ages and adults come to learn about farming, gardening, homesteading and life skills.  She has kept a small herd of French alpine and lamancha goats for the last four years.  She is the secretary at the Ojai Grange.

Megan Hooker is a baker and potter.  She teaches students on farms and in the potter’s studio and grows heritage grains in the Ojai Valley. She also keeps goats and laying chickens at Poco Farm.

5:30 Canning 101 by Brittany Smith $20-40, 2.5 hrs. FULL
SECOND CLASS ADDED ON THURSDAY  AT 1 PM DUE TO POPULARITY

Learn how to safely and deliciously preserve your garden’s bounty.  Students will take home what they preserve in class– a jam and a pickle.  Brittany will share different recipes, resources and techniques for you to use in your home kitchen.

Brittany Smith is a freelance photographer who fell in love with canning as a child. Through the guidance of generations of women in her family she has continued to cultivate her passion for the preserving process.

WEDNESDAY MARCH 18

9:30 Basic Goatkeeping by Grace Malloy & Megan Hooker at Poco Farm $15-30, 3 hrs.

Learn basic goatkeeping skills at Poco Farm in Meiner’s Oaks- nutrition, selecting good genetics, holistic health care, common illnesses, milking techniques, sanitation, housing, kidding, kid care, cheesemaking and soapmaking resources, and local resources for learning and vet care.

Grace Malloy is a farm-based educator at Poco Farm and midwife’s assistant with the Santa Barbara Midwives.  She and her husband Dan run Poco Farm, a small farmstead in downtown Meiner’s Oaks where kids of all ages and adults come to learn about farming, gardening, homesteading and life skills.  She has kept a small herd of alpine and lamancha goats for the last four years.  She is the secretary at the Ojai Grange.

Megan Hooker is a baker and potter.  She teaches students on farms and in the potter’s studio and grows heritage grains in the Ojai Valley. She also keeps goats and laying chickens at Poco Farm.

1:00  Occupying the Carbon Cycle: Making Positive Changes, from Policy to Water to Soil by Peter Donovan at Poco Farm $10-50, 4 hrs.

Mr. Donovon will illuminate the opportunities and assets for recognizing possibility and leadership in your community and network, and how to recognize as well as empower these possibilities by observing change over time in soil and water. Come to Poco Farm in Meiner’s Oaks to learn the importance of the carbon cycle: the ongoing discovery of the circle of life, and what it means for leadership, community, and decision making, from your backyard to the world’s grasslands. Explore the deep relationship between carbon and water, in the soil pore and in the atmosphere. Learn why soils are the center of gravity of the circle of life, even though oceans and rocks contain much more carbon, how and why carbon cycling is an emergent phenomenon or process, resulting from the choices and metabolisms of trillions of autonomous, self-motivated organisms, from humans to microbes, and the surprising implications of these changing understandings for policy, decision making, leadership, and long-term investment. Students will leave the class with a deeper understanding of the carbon cycle and the water cycle, of human opportunities to make a difference, and the formation of a strategy that participants can take to foster positive change.

Peter Donovan is founder of the Soil Carbon Coalition, whose mission is to support those who are turning atmospheric carbon into water-holding, fertility-enhancing soil organic matter with good measurement and open monitoring. He is passionate about the opportunity, and has established over 250 baseline carbon plots over North America with innovative farmers and ranchers.

5:30 Composting our Rangelands for Carbon Sequestration talk by Rebecca Burgess ~free~ 1 hr.

Carbon Farming: With atmospheric carbon levels well above 400ppm, and climate changes already apparent, adaptation and amelioration are both necessary strategies. Agriculture is the only human activity that has the potential to transform from a net carbon emitting to a net carbon sequestering practice.  This talk covers the latest research on age old soil building practices, how those practices are being implemented on the land, and the potential we have before us to remove carbon from our atmosphere for the enhancement of soils and organic based productivity of growing our food, fiber, fuel, and flora.

Rebecca Burgess is the Executive Director of Fibershed, a Carbon Cycle Institute partner organization. She has 15 years of experience writing and implementing hands-on curriculum in ecologically focused textile subject matter. She is the author of the best-selling book Harvesting Color, a bioregional look into the natural dye traditions of North America. She owns and operates the first North American temperate climate indigo project, which currently provides the raw material for our nation’s first 90-mile radius denim supply chain. She has built an extensive network of farmers and artisans within the Marin region’s fibershed to spearhead prototype development of bioregional textiles. In addition to her lead role at Fibershed, Rebecca is working to develop CCI’s Carbon Literacy program.

6:30 FARMERS’ EVE* Appetizers, local beer, wine & spirits for local farmers ~free~ 2.5 hrs.
RESCHEDULED FOR SUNDAY MARCH 22nd at 6:30 pm- combining with Citrus Supper

Farmers, young and not-so-young, please join us for a party at Poco Farm – come enjoy some beer, wine, spirits, and appetizers made by local folks who appreciate your delicious work!

*=Traducción en español.

THURSDAY MARCH 19

9:30 Handmade Tamales* by Carmela Jurado and Quinn Bouma $15-25, 2 hrs.

A basic, hands-on introduction to preparing vegetarian tamales, as well as a simple salsa.  Learn super tasty recipes and techniques from two local cooks.

Carmela spends most of her time cooking and managing the day-kitchen at Farmer and the Cook, turning local organic produce into handcrafted Mexican dishes of the vegetarian variety.

Quinn is usually behind a cutting board at Farmer and the Cook, trying to figure out how to turn a bushel of his boss’s left-over bok choi into something delicious. He makes tamales for the Mexican cafe with Carmela’s guidance.

*=Traducción en español.

     1:00 Canning 101 by Brittany Smith $20-40, 2.5 hrs.

      *This second canning class added due to its popularity*

Learn how to safely and deliciously preserve your garden’s bounty.  Students will take home what they preserve in class– a jam and a pickle.  Brittany will share different recipes, resources and techniques for you to use in your home kitchen.

Brittany Smith is a freelance photographer who fell in love with canning as a child. Through the guidance of generations of women in her family she has continued to cultivate her passion for the preserving process.

4:00 Homegrown Wheat: Thresh, Winnow & Mill* w/ Megan Hooker, Greta Strautman & Corinne McAndrews $5 suggested donation, 1.5 hrs

Check out the process that makes your flour! Thresh, winnow and mill your own wheat with three women who’ve grown heritage grains right here in the Ojai Valley.  Ask them all your grain-growing questions.  Great for kids- very hands on- bring all ages.

Megan, Greta and Corinne grew heritage grains in the upper Ojai Valley in 2013 and 2014.

Megan Hooker is a baker and potter.  She teaches students on farms and in the potter’s studio and grows heritage grains in the Ojai Valley. She also keeps goats and laying chickens at Poco Farm.

Corinne McAndrews is a small-scale farmer living in Los Angeles, CA. Originally from Baltimore, Maryland and educated in Prescott, Arizona, Corinne has worked in cities across the U.S.  Latin America, and Spain.  Over the past 7 years in agriculture and agricultural education, she has collaborated with farmers, students, and chefs interested in cultivating organic food in adverse conditions.

Greta lives in Santa Paula and teaches students on farm for Limoneira and the See Ag program. She graduated from Warren Wilson College in Asheville, North Carolina in 2010 with a degree in Environmental Sciences focusing in Sustainable Agriculture. She worked at Farmer and the Cook in Ojai as a store manager, which helped her acquire a better understanding of issues facing Ventura County agriculture today. She enjoys gardening with her baby boy Hank.

*=Traducción en español.

5:30 Seed Saving Class by Laura Maher of Camarillo Seed Library $10-20, 2 hrs.

Explore the wild world of seed saving. In this 2-hour workshop you will learn about the seed industry and the important tradition of sharing seed. We will review technical skills like hand-pollination, wet and dry seed processing, as well as the biological and ecological benefits of saving seed.

Laura Maher is a local seed saver and a greywater installer. She provides residential garden support with a focus on soil health through Eco Restoration Partners.

7:30 The Sharecroppers* film by Jonathan Shepard- Q & A after, $5 suggested donation, 1 hr.

A brief exploration into a world that most city dwellers have never seen, The Sharecroppers explores the quiet struggles of America’s chicken farmers as they struggle to provide for themselves and their families. Essentially forced into upgrading their farms, these farmers have no choice but to perpetuate a never-ending cycle of debt – on pain of bankruptcy.  Running time 18 minutes. Snacks, tea and coffee provided.

Jonathan Shepard is a documentary filmmaker and screenwriter based in Los Angeles, CA. Originally from South Florida, Jonathan has made documentary shorts about the Lost Boys of Sudan, the victims of Alzheimer’s disease, and the world of a conspiracy theorist. He has also produced promotional materials for a variety of institutions, including the University of Michigan and the United States Government.

*=Traducción en español.

FRIDAY MARCH 20

9:30 Upcycled Bookmaking by Leslie Davis- all ages $10-20, 2 hrs.

Make your own blank books and journals with recycled materials. We’ll upcycle some trash and turn it into something functional and beautiful. Create 3 finished blank books – perfect for your gardening or farming notes, birding, recipe notes, dream journal, travel journal, ideas, doodles, secrets. Great class for the whole family.

Leslie Davis grew up in Ojai in the 70s and 80s just up the street from the Grange and now lives in the east end with her husband Kenley and their two kids. Along with homeschooling her kids and working as a freelance marketing consultant, she is involved in a mindfulness practice community.  When she lived in San Francisco she taught creative writing to young people with WritersCorps, received her MFA in Poetics and studied letterpress printing. Leslie loves crafts with a literary bent and is excited to make recycled blank books with you at the Grange.

4:00 Small Animal Processing by Casey Murphy @ Poco Farm $35-60, 2.5 hrs.

Casey will teach us how to responsibly and mindfully process rabbits- learning slaughter, skinning, gutting and piecing techniques.  Bring a very sharp small knife, a cooler, ice, a notebook and a pen.

Casey has been practicing wilderness living/primitive skills for 15 years. His work has focused on primitive bow hunting and spearfishing. He strives to utilize as much as possible from the animals hunted, from hide to hoof.

5:30 Farming with Wildlife by Ron Whitehurst @ Poco Farm ~free~ 2 hrs.

In this class, Ron will demonstrate many techniques for working with wildlife visitors to your farm or garden.  Learn how to minimize damage from pesky wildlife, including gophers, ground squirrels, moles, mice, rats, deer, pigs, coyotes, birds, etc. without chemicals or inhumane poisons or trapping techniques. Bring your questions and concerns, and even maps of your property or plans for your gardens or farms.

Ron is a California licensed Pest Control Advisor and co-owner of Rincon-Vitova Insectaries, Inc. that produces and markets supplies for biological pest control. He has been communicating about organic methods of farming and gardening for over 30 years. Since 1997 he has promoted Rincon-Vitova’s mission by consulting in the field and lab, by phone and email. He guides people through the steps of creating and biologically managing ecosystems to minimize and control pests, using insect habitat, cultural methods, beneficial insects, and soft pesticides when needed. He is a project leader for the Dietrick Institute for Applied Insect Ecology, co-located with Rincon-Vitova, where he has done in cutting edge urban pest management demonstrations.

SATURDAY MARCH 21

10:00 Community Yoga with Katie Mundle $8-15, 1.25 hrs.

Join us for an all-level gentle yoga class. We’ll enliven our spirit through the breath and find a sense of grounding in our essential nature as we inhabit our bodies just as they are. Please bring a yoga mat if you have one, and perhaps an extra to share!

Katie moved to Ojai in late 2011, after taking a workshop at Lulu Bandha’s. She felt instantly welcomed into the community and is grateful to call this place her home. In Katie’s classes we are encouraged to listen to our own bodies and establish a connection to ourselves, each other, and the space around us. She believes we’re practicing yoga whenever we deliberately deepen the breath, whether hiking, squatting in the garden, or sitting at the computer – reading this bio :)

12:00 Laundry to Landscape- DIY Greywater System by Laura Maher $20-40, 1.5 hrs.

Learn the common types of greywater systems, potential water savings, system costs, relevant codes/regulations. We’ll discuss how to design a legal laundry-to-landscape; including what parts you’ll need, how to calculate how much greywater you may produce, how many plants you can water, and how to maintain your system.

Laura Maher is a local seed saver and a greywater installer. She provides residential garden support with a focus on soil health through Eco Restoration Partners.

5:30 Grange Tour Exhibit and Talk by Severine Von Tscharner Fleming*

*=Traducción en español.

Severine is a farmer, activist, and organizer based in the Champlain Valley of New York. She is the director of Greenhorns, a grassroots organization with the mission to recruit, promote and support the rising generation of new farmers in America. Severine has spent the last seven years gathering, bundling and broadcasting the voices and vision of young agrarians.

Greenhorns runs a weekly radio show on Heritage Radio Network and a popular blog. They produce many kinds of media, from documentary films to almanacs, anthologies, mix-tapes, posters, guidebooks and digital maps. They are best known for the documentary film, “The Greenhorns” and the raucous young farmer mixers they’ve thrown in 37 states and 14 grange halls.

Severine is co-founder and board secretary of Farm Hack, an online, open-source platform for appropriate and affordable farm tools and technologies, as well as National Young Farmers Coalition which now boasts 23 state and regional coalitions.  She serves on the board of the Schumacher Center for New Economics, which hosts Agrarian Trust, her latest startup, focused on land access for beginning farmers, and permanent protection of affordable organic farmland. Severine attended Pomona College and University of California at Berkeley, where she graduated with a B.S. in Conservation/Agroecology. Email Severine at Severine [@] agrariantrust.orghttp://agrariantrust.org

http://agrariantrust.org

From the Grange to the New Deal and Beyond: Creating Alternatives to the Privatization of Everything: a talk by Harvey Smith*

*=Traducción en español.

Harvey Smith is project advisor to the Living New Deal and board president of the National New Deal Preservation Association.  He is author of the Arcadia Publishing book Berkeley and the New Deal. He was co-curator of the 2010 exhibit “The American Scene:  New Deal Art, 1935-1943” at the Bedford Gallery in Walnut Creek, CA, and he was curator of the 2011 exhibit “Art and Activism: The New Deal’s Legacy Around the Bay” at the Canessa Gallery in San Francisco.  He is a member of the board of directors of the Alameda County Agricultural Fair Association. He received a B.A. in English and master of public health degree from U.C. Berkeley and has worked as an educator, public health worker and researcher, radio journalist, horse rancher and union carpenter.

7:00 CONTRA DANCE ($5 kids $10 adults suggested donation) 2 hrs.

Beginners Welcome! Music by HIDDEN FIFTH, an Ojai-based Irish music band, and food by the Scratch truck.

SUNDAY MARCH 22

10:00 Dying Fiber with Native Plants by Rebecca Burgess $50-90, 4 hrs. FULL

We are so lucky to have Rebecca Burgess teaching one of her incredible dye courses here at our Grange Hall.  She will teach an overview of the process of using 3-5 dye plants and or species that are native to California soils.  Learn natural dye techniques- from applying mordents and shibori to how to harvest and forage for these dye species.  Bring home samples of some beautiful colors made from our local native plants!

Rebecca Burgess is the Executive Director of Fibershed, a Carbon Cycle Institute partner organization. She has 15 years of experience writing and implementing hands-on curriculum in ecologically focused textile subject matter. She is the author of the best-selling book Harvesting Color, a bioregional look into the natural dye traditions of North America. She owns and operates the first North American temperate climate indigo project, which currently provides the raw material for our nation’s first 90-mile radius denim supply chain. She has built an extensive network of farmers and artisans within the Marin region’s fibershed to spearhead prototype development of bioregional textiles. In addition to her lead role at Fibershed, Rebecca is working to develop CCI’s Carbon Literacy program.

10:00 Beekeeping Basics by Casey Abbott $1-30, 2 hrs.

Learn the basics of beekeeping with a couple avid beekeepers.  Everything you need to know to start your own hive will be covered, and there will be lots of time to ask questions and learn more about mead making, queen raising, swarm capturing, etc. No experience required.  By donation- just give what you can.

Casey has been furiously studying and breeding bees since January of 2008.  He has made several equipment innovations, and focuses on queen rearing, genetics, honey-in-the-comb, and mead making.

10:00 Small Animal Processing by Casey Murphy @ Poco Farm $35-60, 2.5 hrs.
SMALL ANIMAL PROCESSING RESCHEDULED FOR FRIDAY

Casey will teach us how to responsibly and mindfully process rabbits- learning slaughter, skinning, gutting and piecing techniques.  Bring a very sharp small knife, a cooler, ice, a notebook and a pen.

Casey has been practicing wilderness living/primitive skills for 15 years. His work has focused on primitive bow hunting and spearfishing. He strives to utilize as much as possible from the animals hunted, from hide to hoof.

2:00 Biodynamic Compost Tea by Basia Kenton @ Poco Farm $25-50, 2 hrs.

Join us for a short introduction to the practical application of Biodynamics in gardens & small urban farms. Hands on demonstration on how to make & apply biodynamic compost tea. This tea will revitalize your soil, reduce irrigation needs, create healthier plants, more nutrient-rich better tasting veggies, & it will eliminate the need for chemical fertilizers & pesticides. Biodynamics is the highest level of organic farming, with emphasis on sound ecology, biodiversity, & soil vitality.

Basia Kenton is a gardener, a landscape designer, and a biodynamic garden consultant. She designs simple but lush and romantic gardens that are also ecologically balanced. For the past 20 years Basia have inspired and guided her clients on how to create a healthy vibrant toxin free garden environment, with special focus on waterwise strategies and drought resistant polinator-friendly plants and lawns. For the past 5 years she has successfully applied the wisdom of biodynamic farming technology to urban gardens. Her experience with Biodynamics informs her work and gives her the expertise to show others how to get started. She serves as Director of Education and Outreach for Transition To Organics, a non-profit committed to removing the need for toxic chemicals in your gardens, orchards, landscapes and lawns.

3:00 Goat Milk Soapmaking for Adults by Karen Allred $15-30, 2 hrs.

[...]

4:00 Growing Healthy Citrus to Resist ACP damage by Ron Whitehurst @ Poco Farm ~free~2.5 hrs

Learn the elements that go into growing REALLY healthy citrus that resists pests and disease. We need a healthy soil food web, mowed perennial cover crop, good insect ecology and, as needed, organic nutrients and pesticides. The basic principle of organic growing is that a healthy plant will resist pests and disease. We have a number of pests here now and a dozen on their way. Organic advisers in Florida and India are growing healthy citrus in the presence of ACP pest and HLB disease. Learn how!

Ron is a California licensed Pest Control Advisor and co-owner of Rincon-Vitova Insectaries, Inc. that produces and markets supplies for biological pest control. He has been communicating about organic methods of farming and gardening for over 30 years. Since 1997 he has promoted Rincon-Vitova’s mission by consulting in the field and lab, by phone and email. He guides people through the steps of creating and biologically managing ecosystems to minimize and control pests, using insect habitat, cultural methods, beneficial insects, and soft pesticides when needed. He is a project leader for the Dietrick Institute for Applied Insect Ecology, co-located with Rincon-Vitova, where he has done in cutting edge urban pest management demonstrations.

6:00 FARMER’S EVE* @ The Grange Hall ~free~

Note: We have combined Farmer’s Eve and Citrus Gathering and moved them to Grange Hall.
Farmers, young and not-so-young, please join us for a party at the Grange Hall – come enjoy some beer, local wine, local spirits, and handmade appetizers made by local folks who appreciate your delicious work!

*=Traducción en español.