[Los Angeles, CA Permaculture] Netiya Offers Matching Micro-Grants for Edible Gardens at Faith Institutions

Devorah Brous devorah.brous at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 10:29:48 PDT 2015

Netiya is excited to announce a new Matching Micro-grant program to help
faith-based institutions convert decorative landscaping or unused
congregational land to edible, water-wise gardens that foster food
sovereignty, and to educate and empower the collective about food choices.
Matching grant applications are available at http://bit.ly/1LU56XM. They
are due on February 1, and awards will be announced on March 15.
Organizations are required to raise $500 on their own, making them eligible
to receive up to $1,500 from Netiya toward their garden installation or
upgrade.

Netiya Executive Director, Devorah Brous says, “We’re excited to present
this Matching Micro-Grant opportunity to our existing 42 network members as
well as faith-based institutions who wish to make Los Angeles more
equitable by growing community food security. Thanks to our partners at the
Simply Organic 1% Fund and other generous Netiya donors, we look forward to
working with people of faith from across the most diverse county in the
country.”

* * * * *

Netiya is a food and faith network that cultivates gardens on unused land
at faith-based institutions to grow and tithe nutritious food. Netiya
fosters self-reliance and stewardship to lead Angelenos of all faiths
toward greater access to food worthy of a blessing.

Links

Netiya Website: http://www.netiya.org

Matching Micro-grants:
http://www.netiya.org/programs/matching-micro-grants/

Netiya’s Matching Micro-Grant Program: FAQ

How do Netiya's matching micro-grants Work?

Generous individual supporters and foundations provide donations for
Netiya’s matching micro-grants program. To be considered for a matching
micro-grant from Netiya, your community raises a minimum of $500 toward
your project. Then the leadership of your faith-based institution submits a
project for consideration to Netiya. Netiya's Executive Council reviews the
matching micro-grant applications annually and recommends projects for
funding. Through Netiya’s Just Gardens program, Netiya provides services to
help design and install or upgrade a garden/orchard at your faith-based
institution.

How much is a matching micro-grant from Netiya?

Select Netiya matching micro-grants are between $500- $1500.

Can individuals apply for a Netiya matching micro-grant?

Netiya's micro-grants are not awarded directly to individuals.

How can our institution qualify for Netiya’s $500-$1500 grants?

Netiya only accepts applications from faith-based institutions in LA County
that are (or are willing to become) members of Netiya’s collaborative food
and faith network (membership dues are $200). Micro-grants applications are
submitted once a year, and approved by Netiya's Executive Council. To
qualify for a micro-grant, the project must be on land owned (or leased) by
a faith-based institution.

What projects qualify for a matching micro-grant from Netiya?

Any plants or trees that will add an edible component to the property at
your faith-based institution (fruit trees in pots, a hydroponic install
inside your school); any upgrade to existing garden infrastructure to make
it water-wise (drip irrigation, leak repairs, timers); or and any
conversion from decorative landscaping to edible and or native (fruit trees
instead of grass or ivy).

Do these $500-$1500 matching micro-grants from Netiya need to be paid back?

No, but they must be matched by funds raised by the recipient institution.
As the name implies, they are grants, not loans. Netiya wants to help
recipients to steward their faith-based land and resources to build food
justice and equity, not acquire debt.

How does my faith-based institution apply?

Netiya is always interested in creating new partnerships. There is a simple
application process.

To become a Netiya network partner you must:

– be a faith-based institution (congregation, camp, school etc)

– operate in Los Angeles

– be committed to growing food to help low-income people get to
self-sufficiency
– have the capacity to nominate and execute a project (fill out an online
form), and follow up with Netiya in six months and one year benchmarks.

We look forward to receiving your application!

<http://goo.gl/RyRYvE>

*Devorah Brous*
213.500.1973
Executive Director, Netiya
<http://www.netiya.org>www.netiya.org

[image: Inline image 1]

<https://www.facebook.com/NetiyaLA> <https://instagram.com/netiyaLA>
<https://twitter.com/netiyaLA>

Click here to support Netiya with your tax-deductible gift!
<https://secure.acceptiva.com/?cst=b11b1f>