[Los Angeles, CA Permaculture] Thu MAR 10/Fighting Climate Change with Carbon Farming with Darren Doherty of REGRARIANS/7:30-9pm

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Fri Feb 26 09:18:25 PST 2016

https://www.facebook.com/events/1533723326928002/

  Fighting Climate Change with Carbon Farming
with
  Darren Doherty of REGRARIANS Ltd.

Thursday, March 10, 2016
7:30pm - 9pm, FREE
 Santa Barbara Central Library, Faulkner Gallery

If every farmer in the USA practiced Carbon Farming, in less than 10 years,
 we would sequester ALL the CARBON that has been emitted since the Industrial Age
Joel Salatin, POLYFACE Farm

There's too much carbon in the atmosphere causing unruly & disturbing climate problems, but the solution isn't difficult, it's in the soil!

Carbon is a naturally occurring chemical compound vital to life, but since the industrial revolution and the advent of modern farming practices, too much carbon has been released into the atmosphere causing climate disruption.  The good news is that with Carbon Farming & good soil practices, nature can do much of the remedial work for us.

Join Santa Barbara Permaculture Network on Thursday, March 10, as we host Darren Doherty of REGRARIANS Ltd, for a talk that suggests we can effectively fight climate change by improving the soil with innovative Carbon Farming techniques & strategies that restore & regenerate landscapes.

Carbon Farming is the process of sequestering carbon into healthy, biologically alive soils, using a variety of agricultural practices like no-till farming, cover crops, holistic range management & agroforestry. America's unique opportunity is it's vast landscapes of degraded agriculture & grazing lands that if restored to health would have the potential to capture billions of tons of carbon from the atmosphere annually.  Farms that increase carbon in their soils also increase water retention, protect biodiversity, enhance productivity, all while combating Climate Change.

Darren Doherty is a 5th generation Australian farmer and an international expert on regenerative agriculture and permaculture design who has extensive experience across the world in project design, development, management & training. A career-long focus on the profitable & regenerative retrofit of broadacre landscapes has seen Darren Doherty acclaimed as a pioneer in this important field.

Darren Doherty & his wife Lisa Heenan have recently produced POLYFACES, a documentary showcasing the work of Joel Salatin & the renowned Polyface farm in Virginia.  Darren will also be in the region teaching a sold out 10 day REGRARIAN workshop at Orella Ranch on the Gaviota Coast north of Santa Barbara.

The event takes place on Thursday, March 10, 7:30 - 9pm, at the downtown Central Library, Faulkner Gallery, 40 E. Anapamu St, Santa Barbara, CA 93101. The event is FREE, no reservations are required.  More Info: margie at sbpermaculture.org, 805-962-2571, www.sbpermaculture.org.

Sponsored by Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
CIVICS 101 FOR CLIMATE CHANGE, A Community Education Series
www.sbpermaculture.org
Co-Sponsors: Community Environmental Council (CEC), Orella Ranch, & the Santa Barbara Food Alliance

                                     Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1533723326928002/

Additional Resources: (Check out all these great materials!)

Landscapes, Ecosystems, Agriculture and Food Systems (LEAF) Santa Barbara:
The LEAF Initiative was developed through a collaborative effort with community members, nonprofit organizations and donors. The initiative seeks to advance regional strategies to increase land conservation, improve ecosystem health, ensure agricultural viability and improve the local food system.
https://www.sbfoundation.org/leaf

Regrarians Ltd:
http://www.regrarians.org
Our primary responsibility is to the regenerative enhancement of the biosphere’s ecosystem processes. Our secondary responsibility is to provide the potential for people to be informed about the regenerative economy, whether it involves their work in agriculture, land management, corporate life, domestic services, manufacturing or other activities that are within the reasonable domain of humans…

“4 per 1,000” Initiative:
The “4 per 1,000” Initiative wants to demonstrate that agriculture can provide practical solutions to the challenge of climate disruption, while also meeting that posed by food security through the use of farming methods that match local conditions: e.g. agroecology, agroforestry, conservation agriculture, landscape management. http://4p1000.org/understand

The California Climate and Agriculture Network (CalCAN):
A coalition of sustainable agriculture and farmer leaders that advances agricultural solutions to climate change. Agriculture can play a unique role in responding to the  climate crisis by producing renewable energy, sequestering carbon and reducing greenhouse gas emissions while securing our food system for generations to come.
http://calclimateag.org

Climate Chance:
A summit dedicated to concrete action is a global summit with the aim to become a regular event for all non-state actors involved in the fight against climate change.
http://www.climatechance2016.com/

Articles referring to Carbon Farming:

California’s Grand Plan to Fight Climate Change on the Farm California/ lawmakers move toward paying farmers to adopt climate-smart practices.  http://civileats.com/2016/02/02/californias-grand-plan-to-fight-climate-change-on-the-farm-jerry-brown/

Restoring Global Soil Quality Is One Of The Best Things We Can Do For Climate Change:
Little known climate change fact: Just the first meter of soil contains as much carbon as the entire atmosphere. And there's potential to soak up much more. http://www.fastcoexist.com/3052240/restoring-global-soil-quality-is-one-of-the-best-things-we-can-do-for-climate-change

Restoring Global Soil Quality Is One Of The Best Things We Can Do For Climate Change:
Little known climate change fact: Just the first meter of soil contains as much carbon as the entire atmosphere. And there's potential to soak up much more. http://www.fastcoexist.com/3052240/restoring-global-soil-quality-is-one-of-the-best-things-we-can-do-for-climate-change

Permaculture RESOURCES:

Permaculture and Climate Change Adaptation Inspiring Ecological, Social, Economic and Cultural Responses for Resilience and Transformation ; by By Dr. Thomas Henfrey and Dr. Gil Penha-Lopes
https://www.chelseagreen.com/permaculture-subject/permaculture-and-climate-change-adaptation

The Carbon Farming Solution
A Global Toolkit of Perennial Crops and Regenerative Agriculture Practices for Climate Change Mitigation and Food Security
By Eric Toensmeier Foreword by Dr. Hans Herren  http://www.chelseagreen.com/the-carbon-farming-solution

Articles referring to Carbon Farming:

California’s Grand Plan to Fight Climate Change on the Farm California/ lawmakers move toward paying farmers to adopt climate-smart practices. http://civileats.com/2016/02/02/californias-grand-plan-to-fight-climate-change-on-the-farm-jerry-brown/

Restoring Global Soil Quality Is One Of The Best Things We Can Do For Climate Change:
Little known climate change fact: Just the first meter of soil contains as much carbon as the entire atmosphere. And there's potential to soak up much more. http://www.fastcoexist.com/3052240/restoring-global-soil-quality-is-one-of-the-best-things-we-can-do-for-climate-change

Resilient Agriculture  Cultivating Food Systems for a Changing Climate, by Laura Lengnick:
http://www.newsociety.com/Books/R/Resilient-Agriculture

Radio Interview Episode 16, COP21 Insights from the Paris Climate Conference with Albert Bates:
http://realeyeshomestead.com/permaculture-realized-podcast-episode-16-cop21-insights-from-the-paris-climate-conference-with-albert-bates

POLYFACES FILM trailer: http://www.polyfaces.com
Documentary showcasing the work of Joel Salatin & the renowned Polyface Farm in Virginia.

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
http://www.sbpermaculture.org