[Los Angeles, CA Permaculture] Sun Nov 12 /Live Well & Spark A Climate Revolution Talk with NASA Climate Scientist Peter Kalmus/Free

wesley roe Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Oct 18 23:06:23 PDT 2017

Live Well & Spark A Climate Revolution
Book Signing & Talk

with Author & NASA Climate Scientist
Peter Kalmus
Bicyclist, Backyard Gardener & Beekeeper

Sunday, November, 12, 6:30–8:30pm
FREE Event

Location: Bici Centro, 434 Olive St, Santa Barbara, CA

Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1351132924995557 <https://www.facebook.com/events/1351132924995557>

These two disparate things---reducing my own fossil fuel use and increasing my ability to love— are actually intimately connected.
  There is no separation between me and the rest of the life on this planet.  Peter Kalmus

Join Santa Barbara Permaculture Network as we host Peter Kalmus, author of the newly published book Be the Change; Live Well & Spark a Climate Revolution, on Sunday November 12, 2017, at Bici Centro in downtown Santa Barbara.   Special guest Paul Relis, a co-founder of the Community Environmental Council (CEC) after the devastating oil spill in the Santa Barbara Channel in 1969, will introduce Peter, linking two generations of committed and passionate citizen activists.

Alarmed by drastic changes now occurring in the Earth’s climate systems,  Kalmus,  a climate scientist and suburban father of two,  embarked on a journey to change his life and the world.  He began bicycling, growing his own food, meditating, and making other simple, fulfilling changes.  Ultimately, he slashed his climate impact to under a tenth of the US average, and became happier in the process.

Being the Change explores the connections between our individual daily actions and our collective predicament.  It merges science, spirituality, and practical action to develop a satisfying and appropriate response to global warming.  The core message to his book is deeply optimistic: living without fossil fuels is not only possible, it can be BETTER.

Peter Kalmus is an atmospheric scientist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory with a Ph.D. in physics from Columbia University, and a BA in Physics from Harvard, maintaining clearly in his book and talks, he is speaking on his own behalf, not representing any of the scientific agencies he works for.  Kalmus is a contributing editor and columnist for YES! Magazine.

The event takes place on Sunday, November 12, 6:30 – 8:30pm, and will be held at Bici Centro, 434 Olive Street, in an outdoor courtyard.  Please come early to explore the community bike center.  Books will be available to purchase, author donating profits.  The event is FREE and no reservations are required.  For More Info: margie at sbpermaculure.org; www.sbpermaculture.org <http://www.sbpermaculture.org/>;  805-962-2571.

Event sponsors: Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, the Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition (Bici Centro), Community Environmental Council (CEC), & Oasis Design

-this event is a part of the Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Civic 101 for Climate Change educational series-

FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE https://www.facebook.com/events/1351132924995557 <https://www.facebook.com/events/1351132924995557>

Additional Resources:

Peter Kalmus website http://becycling.life <http://becycling.life/>

Being the Change | New Society Publishers
https://www.newsociety.com/Books/B/Being-the-Change <https://www.newsociety.com/Books/B/Being-the-Change>

Paul Relis, author of Out of the Wasteland: Stories from the Environmental Frontier:  http://www.paulrelis.com/ <http://www.paulrelis.com/>

To My Fellow Climate Scientists: Be Human, Be Brave, Speak Truth.  YES Magazine
http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/science/to-my-fellow-climate-scientists-be-human-be-brave-tell-the-truth-20170207 <http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/science/to-my-fellow-climate-scientists-be-human-be-brave-tell-the-truth-20170207>

Peter Kalmus A Scientist pioneers a low carbon Lifestyle in Altadena CA
http://newyork.thecityatlas.org/people/peter-kalmus/ <http://newyork.thecityatlas.org/people/peter-kalmus/>

"Being the Change" is proof that weaning oneself off fossil fuels is not only possible, but also joyful and fun for a young suburban family.
https://www.treehugger.com/climate-change/how-one-american-family-has-moved-away-fossil-fuels.html <https://www.treehugger.com/climate-change/how-one-american-family-has-moved-away-fossil-fuels.html>

How California Could Get to 100 Percent Renewable Energy/Peter Kalmus
http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/just-transition/how-california-could-get-to-100-percent-renewable-energy-20170928 <http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/just-transition/how-california-could-get-to-100-percent-renewable-energy-20170928>

Climate Change and Be-cycling With Peter Kalmus Interview https://www.rootsimple.com/2015/02/039-climate-change-and-be-cycling-with-peter-kalmus/ <https://www.rootsimple.com/2015/02/039-climate-change-and-be-cycling-with-peter-kalmus/>

-end-