[Los Angeles, CA Permaculture] Evolution of Organic Film Premiere/THU Mar 8 Santa Barbara

wesley roe Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun Feb 18 09:50:49 PST 2018

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network Presents:

The Santa Barbara Film Premiere of
Evolution of Organic
with Academy nominated filmmaker Mark Kitchell

How a cultural revolution changed the way we eat food

Thursday, March 8, 7-9 pm  2018
$10 – $20* (free admission for local farmers)

Location: Marjorie Luke Theatre
721 E. Cota St, Santa Barbara, CA

Among all the films on food and farming, Evolution of Organic is the first to tell the story of the organic movement.  How it started, who the people were who bravely initiated it, and how it literally changed the way we eat and grow food.

In this funny and engaging film, narrated by Academy Award winner Frances McDormand, you will learn about the organic agriculture movement, past, present, and future.  Not just a history, Evolution of Organic explores an exciting future and the next generation of growers who are broadening the definition of organic, with things like no-till farming, urban farming, permaculture, and carbon farming as a solution to climate change.  Come share the fascinating journey and all the personalities who made it happen…

Mark Kitchell is an acclaimed filmmaker interested in the social movements of our time and how they shift culture.  It was no accident that California, home of the world’s most industrialized agriculture, also gave rise to its opposite - organic agriculture.  The ‘60s counter-culture headed back to the land, determined to grow safe and healthy food.  Few had any farming experience; but they experimented and learned, and in time became extraordinarily good farmers.

In addition to Evolution of Organic, Kitchell’ s earlier films include the iconic Berkeley in the Sixties, which was nominated for an Academy Award; and Fierce Green Fire, an exploration of environmental activism from conservation to present day climate change issues.  Kitchell will be in attendance for questions and discussion at the event.

Invited as guests to be honored at the film premiere will be organic growers and farmers from the Santa Barbara region, many who were instrumental in launching the organic movement.  After the film will be time for discussion about the future of organics, who the emerging farmers are in our area, and what assistance is needed for their success.  We will also take a moment of gratitude for all our local farmers who kept growing on our behalf, during the stressful fire & flood events in recent weeks.

The event takes place on Thursday, March 8, 2018, 7-9pm, at the Marjorie Luke Theatre, 721 E. Cota St, Santa Barbara, CA 93103, with plenty of free parking.   Tickets available at the door, or online at SBIndyTickets <http://www.sbindytickets.com/events/52058959/the-santa-barbara-film-premiere-of-evolution-of-organic-with-filmmaker-mark-kitchell> (online fees apply).    For more info; www.sbpermaculture.org <http://www.sbpermaculture.org/>;  Margie at sbpermacuture.org <mailto:Margie at sbpermacuture.org>, 805-962-2571.

*$20 Support Friends of Film & Farm community tickets:
By purchasing upper level ticket you help support free Guest Passes for local farmers and food workers who keep feeding us in all kinds of circumstances - drought, fire, & flood!  we are grateful.

A Community Event Sponsored by Santa Barbara Permaculture Network &
the Marjorie Luke Theatre

Event Co-sponsors:  Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, Community Environmental Council (CEC), Santa Barbara Independent, Island Seed & Feed, Teeccino, Ah Juice Organics, 350 Santa Barbara, Sunburst, Isla Vista Food Coop, Quail Springs Permaculture, the Marjorie Luke Theatre & more…

Learn more:

Evolution of Organic Facebook Event:  https://www.facebook.com/events/1853715608263032/ <https://www.facebook.com/events/1853715608263032/>

Evolution of Organic Film Story & film trailer: http://evolutionoforganic.com/ <http://evolutionoforganic.com/>
 It started with a motley crew of back-to-the-landers rejecting industrial farming. It went on to spawn a renewed connection with our food and land. Filmmaker Mark Kitchell (BERKELEY IN THE SIXTIES; A FIERCE GREEN FIRE) presents a celebration of Californian organic farming told by the people that started it all and onto a new generation who continue to reinvent the food system.

-end-

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org <mailto:margie at sbpermaculture.org>