[Orange_County_Permaculture] SayPermaculture! Summer, Fall 2011 Courses Los Angeles 2011 LA Arborteum & Botannic Garden and Huntington Library Los Angeles

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Aug 15 18:31:21 PDT 2011

Hi All,

Welcome to our listing of upcoming classes scheduled for Summer-Fall,
2011.  All ages and levels of experience are invited. Please feel free
to contact us with any questions and let others Please let us know if
you have any questions and feel free to send this info to everyone who
might be interested!

_Upcoming Courses:_
*
**1. ***
***
**Fall 2011 Permaculture Design Course (PDC) **
***
*
**2. ***
**
***
*
**Special Workshop: Make an Herbal Body Kit**
*
***
**
*
**
**3. *****Discovering the Soil Foodweb, with Dr. Elaine Ingham -LA DATES
& Worldwide Webinar***
**4. *****Introduction to Permaculture & Seedball Workshop***
**5. Public Talk:  Gardening Like the Forest, Dave Jacke**
**6. Workshop: ****Gardening Like the Forest, Dave Jacke**
**
*

*Fall 2011 Permaculture Design Course (PDC) *

Registration Deadline: Sept. 12  Absolutely no sign-ups past this date.
  Limited seating; first come, first serve basis

Sept.-Nov. 2011

/Every other weekend/

/8:30am-5:30pm/

/Join us in our 3rd PDC, as always with a stellar line-up of teachers -
Back by popular demand! /

/Please register early as course fills quickly.

This hands-on PDC unites theory with practical applications. Our
transformative, 80-hour curriculum prepares individuals to become
pro-active ecological designers, and covers the following topics:

*• Permaculture Principles and Ethics • Rapid Soil Rehabilitation •
Designing with the Patterns of Nature • Water Harvesting • Food Forests
• Regenerating Resilient Communities • Animal Systems  • Aquaculture •
Renewable Energy Solutions • Homesteading*

*During our last PDC, we designed a premier permaculture garden for our
client, the CEO of the LA Arboretum.  Join us this fall as we install
the garden, and design future projects!*

The course provides the crucial foundation in systems thinking that
enables individuals to play an active role in holistically regenerating
our landscapes, food systems, and communities.  An environment of
support and unity between classmates is fostered to promote
collaboration and a strong network of fellow designers.

Taught by experts in the  field, you will get a deep understanding of
permaculture from a scientific background.

*INSTRUCTORS:*
*Elaine Ingham, PhD*,  Chief Scientist, The Rodale Institute, Soil Foodweb
*Dave Jacke*,  Award-winning author of Edible Forest Gardens
*Warren Brush*,   Quail Springs Learning Center
*Caitlin Bergman*,  SayPermaculture!, Sweet-Soil, Soil Foodweb/

/*Owen Hablutze*l,  Permacuture Research Institute USA
*Adam Wolpert*, //International Communities, Occidental Arts & Ecology
Center (OAEC)/

/...and more!

*DATES:*
September 24 & 25
October 8 & 9
October 22 & 23
November 5 & 6
November 19 & 20

/

/8:30am-5:30pm/

/
*LOCATION:
*The Los Angeles Arboretum & Botanic Garden
301 N Baldwin Ave
Arcadia, CA 91007

*TO REGISTER:* 626-821-4623 / Jill.Berry at Arboretum.org
<mailto:Jill.Berry at Arboretum.org>
*FULL DETAILS:* http://www.SayPermaculture.com
<http://saypermaculture.com/2011-fall-permaculture-design-course/%20> /

/
/

/
*__________________________________________*
*Special Workshop: Make an Herbal Body Kit*
****Sunday, August 28th
4-7pm
$60 members / $65 non-members

Caitlin Bergman, Instructor

/
/

/Seating Limited; Pre-Registration Required/

Please call 626.821.4623 to register or email jill.berry at arboretum.org
*Click here*
<http://saypermaculture.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/herbal-body-kit-flyer.pdf>* to
view flyer*

Join us for a fun and relaxing summer evening making homemade,
premier-quality body care products. For a sliver of the cost of normal
shelf products, we will be creating blends utilizing simple, organic,
safe ingredients suited to your own personal skin care needs. You’ll get
to take home the products you make, along with the knowledge to keep on
making more!

You will receive a brief background on creating herbal preparations as
well as special backyard herbs suitable for use on your beautiful,
glowing body. Most of class is hands-on on crafting products with
like-minded participants.

Did you know that everything that comes into contact with our skin, such
as moisturizers, perfumes, and haircare products gets absorbed into our
bodies? Learn to make your own healthy, rejuvenating skin care kit
complete with: body balm, masque, scrub, hydrosol, and more!
Please come prepared to make and sample our creations.

*LOCATION: *
The Los Angeles Arboretum & Botanic Garden

301 N Baldwin Ave

Arcadia, CA 91007

*FULL DETAILS:* www.SayPermaculture.com <http://saypermaculture.com/events/>

/

/___________________________________________________________________/

/SweetSoil & The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical
Gardens Present:/

*Discovering the Soil Foodweb, with Dr. Elaine Ingham, PhD*

October 22-26, 2011
Los Angeles, CA*
*
Whether you're growing in planters or backyards, Discovering the Soil
Foodweb will unlock the yield barrier, allowing your gardens to thrive
beautifully, while eliminating disease and pests.  If you are looking to
save money for yourself and clients, or want to make the move towards
sustainability, this workshop is for you.

Give your plants biology to increase green growth, flowers, and veggies,
while increasing moisture retention in the soil from 30-50% and save
hundreds of dollars on fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides by
working with your biological workforce.  Do you know the optimum
bacteria:fungi ratio for your plants?  Every plant is different.

Until recently, we have only understood the chemical aspect of plant
relationships.  Dr. Ingham describes the inseparable relationship
between microbes and plants in a friendly, easy-to-understand way.  Find
out how to make your plants healthy in any setting by increasing soil
biology, nature's true gift for healthy plants.  Join us!  Get a jump on
productivity in your farm or garden setting.

*Elaine Ingham, PhD* is Chief Scientist at The Rodale Institute.  She is
recognized around the world as the leader in soil microbiology and
research of the soil foodweb.  Elaine is an energetic, down-to-earth
speaker who explains what life in the soil is all about.

*TO REGISTER:* *www.LASweetSoil.Eventbrite.com*
Sign-up for full course or individual days.

Day 1 & 2:  Intro. to the Soil Foodweb
Day 3:  Compost Technology
Day 4:  Compost Tea Technology
Day 5:  Light Microscope Training

*LOCATION:*
The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens
1151 Oxford Rd.
San Marino, CA 91008

*FULL DETAILS:* http://www.Sweet-Soil.com
<http://www.sweet-soil.com/work-we-do/courses/elaine-ingham/>

*QUESTIONS*:   (415) 699-0916  /  cait_bergman at yahoo.com

*Introduction to Permaculture & Seedball Workshop*

Saturday, August 27
10am-12noon/
$25 Arboretum members/$28 non-members/

//Caitlin Bergman, Instructor/
/
Join our exciting, interactive lecture and hands-on demonstrations as we
learn how to create a food forest in our own backyard.  Have you ever
wondered why growing your own vegetables can be so difficult?  Learn to
work like nature, not against it.  Discover a quickly growing revolution
in sustainable gardening where overlooked materials become free
resources, yields increase, work is minimized, and the mutual support
between people and the local environment is restored.  This seminar will
give participants an understanding of the key concepts involved in
Permaculture and you’ll get to bring home seedballs too!  Dress comfortably.

*TO REGISTER:* 626.821.4623 / jill.berry at arboretum.org
*FULL DETAILS:* http://saypermaculture.com/events/

*Public Talk-*

*Gardening Like the Forest: Home-Scale Ecological Food Production*
Friday, Oct. 7th, 7-9 pm
/$20 members / $25 non-members/

/Dave Jacke, Instructor/

*/BONUS: Fall 2011 Arboretum Permaculture Design Course Students take
this course FREE!/*

Healthy forests maintain, fertilize, and renew themselves, naturally.
Wouldn’t you like to grow an abundant food-producing ecosystem like this
in your back yard? You can! Edible forest gardens mimic the structure
and function of natural forests through all their stages of development
while growing food, fuel, fiber, fodder, fertilizers, farmaceuticals,
and fun. We can meet our own needs and regenerate healthy ecosystems at
the same time!

This talk introduces the vision of forest gardening, some scientific
background, a few living examples, and a sampling of perennial edibles
you can use in your own garden.  We’ll also touch on ecological
principles that lie at the core of forest garden design, and apply
equally well to how we might design human social systems.

*Workshop-
Gardening Like the Forest: Steps To Ecological Gardening*
Saturday, October 8th, 8:30-5:00
Sunday, October 9th, 8:30-3:30
/$195 includes Public Talk (10/7)/

*BONUS*: /Fall 2011 Arboretum Permaculture Design Course Students take
this course FREE!/

Ecosystem agriculture attempts to mimic the structure and function of
natural communities in food-producing ecologies. This workshop explores
the vision, theory, design, and practice of ecosystem agriculture.
Lectures, field observations, and experiential classes will reveal the
nature of ecosystem architecture, social structure, underground
economics, and succession. Participants will draw conclusions from these
experiences, developing practical design principles, practices,
patterns, and processes for garden design and management.  You will
leave this workshop with an increased ability to design your own
backyard food-producing ecosystems.  The cost of the weekend workshop
includes the Friday night lecture, which will lay critical groundwork
for these two days.

*Dave Jacke*, primary author of the award winning two-volume book Edible
Forest Gardens, has studied ecology and design since the 1970s, and has
run his own design firm—Dynamics Ecological Design—since 1984. An
engaging and passionate teacher of ecological design and permaculture,
Dave has designed, built, and planted landscapes, homes, farms, and
communities in the many parts of the United States, as well as overseas.
A co-founder of Land Trust at Gap Mountain in Jaffrey, NH, he
homesteaded there for a number of years. Dave holds a B.A. in
Environmental Studies from Simon's Rock College and a M.A. in Landscape
Design from the Conway School of Landscape Design.

**LOCATION*:
The Los Angeles Arboretum & Botanic Garden
301 N Baldwin Ave
Arcadia, CA 91007*

*
*

*TO REGISTER:* 626-821-4623 / Jill.Berry at Arboretum.org
<mailto:Jill.Berry at Arboretum.org>
*FULL DETAILS:* http://SayPermaculture.com
<http://saypermaculture.com/2011-fall-garden-like-the-forest-with-dave-jacke/>

Hoping many of you can join us!

Caitlin

Caitlin Bergman
Permaculture Designer, Consultant, & Educator
www.SayPermaculture.com <http://www.SayPermaculture.com>

Project Manager, Sweet-Soil
www.Sweet-Soil.com <http://www.Sweet-Soil.com>

Soil Foodweb Advisor