[Orange_County_Permaculture] INTERVIEW /with Christopher Shein author The Vegetable Gardener’s Guide to Permaculture

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Wed Jan 30 08:38:50 PST 2013

INTERVIEW /with Christopher Shein author The Vegetable Gardener’s Guide
to Permaculture
http://www.thepermaculturepodcast.com/2013/christophershein/

My guest for this episode is Christopher Shein, a permaculture designer
and teacher from the Bay area of California, who recently co-authored
the book The Vegetable Gardener’s Guide to Permaculture: Creating an
Edible Ecosystem.
http://www.timberpress.com/books/vegetable_gardeners_guide_permaculture/shein/9781604692709

We discuss his book from the context of how he got involved with writing
the book, working with a publisher, and the process of why and what got
included in the final product. We also talk about his role as a teacher
at Merritt Community College, where he’s taught for 11 years, graduating
around 700 PDC students in that time, the way he approaches the class as
a hands-on endeavor, serving as another model for teaching Permaculture,
and the permutations and changes coming as Permaculture continues to mature.

My wife introduced me to Christopher and his work when a group she’s a
part of received a list of upcoming books. Doing some research
Christopher clearly came from a place of knowledge and experience with
Permaculture, so the book sounded interesting, coming from someone so
steeped in the design and practice. That caused me to reach out to
Christopher for an interview as well as his publisher about an advance
copy of the book to read in preparation. Even though my copy was an
uncorrected proof, the material stood out solidly and I liked it.

If you would like to learn more about Christopher, you can find him at
his personal website: wildheartgardens.com, or at the Merritt College
Landscape Horticulture website: merrittlandhort.com, or at Timber Press,
where you can pick up a copy of the book, www.timberpress.com.

Resources:
Wildheart Gardens Christopher’s Website http://wildheartgardens.com/
Merritt College Landscape Horticulture
http://merrittlandhort.com/
Timber Press Christopher’s Publisher. Links directly to his book.
http://www.timberpress.com/books/vegetable_gardeners_guide_permaculture/shein/9781604692709

Bay Area Seed Interchange Library (B.A.S.I.L.)
http://www.ecologycenter.org/basil/
Detroit Summer Program
http://detroitsummer.wordpress.com/
Linnaea Farm Where Christopher studied