[Orange County, CA Permaculture] July 21 An Evening Gathering to Support the 2nd Annual International Soil Not Oil Conference Ojai

Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Jul 11 22:04:50 PDT 2016

An Evening Gathering to Support
the 2nd Annual International
Soil Not Oil Conference
Thurs, July 21, 7:30pm, 2016 Free
At the Farmer & the Cook Restaurant
339 W El Roblar Dr, Ojai (Meiners Oak) CA 93023

Short films about Soil & Carbon Farming including
excerpts from The Seeds of Vandana Shiva documentary film

The solution to climate change & the solution to poverty are the same”. Vandana Shiva

      Join us on Thursday July 21, 7:30 pm , when local groups come together to support both the Soil Not Oil international campaign & the upcoming second
annual Soil Not Oil conference in August of this year with an evening gathering of film & discussion in Ojai, CA. Local filmmaker Camilla Becket will be in attendance sharing excerpts from her soon to be released film The Seeds of Vandana, with other short films on soils & carbon farming also a part of the evening.

    In 2015 the first Soil Not Oil conference was held in Northern California with the intent of supporting the Soil Not Oil international campaign launched by brilliant Indian scientist, eco-activist, & author Vandana Shiva.  Vanda Shiva is a founding member of both Regenerative International and the Navadany Foundation, who were among the first to connect the dots between climate change and the disastrous soil practices of industrial agriculture.

      Restoring global soil quality is one of the best things we can do for climate change.  Because our lives are entirely dependent on the health of our soils, the Soil Not Oil Campaign demands the care and regeneration of soils worldwide. Emphasizing extensive restructuring of land management practices, especially agriculture, is key to combating climate change with biologically healthy soils capable of sequestering carbon from the atmosphere, while also restoring water cycles, stopping ocean acidification, re-establishing biodiversity, improving food production, and revitalizing local economies across the planet.

    The film & discussion event takes place on Thursday July 21, 2016, 7:30- 9pm, at the Farmer & the Cook Restaurant, 339 W El Roblar Dr, Ojai (Meiners Oak) CA 93023.   No reservations required. For more info  contact 805-962-2571,  Margie at sbpermaculture.org, http://www.facebook.com/events/1733416276947943/

Event Co-sponsors Becket Films, Farmer & the Cook Restaurant, Santa Barbara Permaculture Network, & the Center for Regenerative Agriculture, East End Eden Permaculture Farm

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES:

2nd International Soil Not Oil conference in Richmond, California, August 5 & 6, 2016. http://soilnotoilcoalition.org/
Soil Not Oil Pledge http://soilnotoilcoalition.org/soil-not-oil-pledge/

Reasons to attend the 2nd Soil Not Oil Conference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FjPQGcraZQ

Clips from The Seeds of Vandana Shiva Documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcaFM6rjp7Q and Film website http://vandanashivamovie.com/

The California Climate and Agriculture Network (CalCAN):
A coalition of sustainable agriculture and farmer leaders that advances agricultural solutions to climate change. Agriculture can play a unique role in responding to the climate crisis by producing renewable energy, sequestering carbon and reducing greenhouse gas emissions while securing our food system for generations to come.
http://calclimateag.org/

Agriculture and Climate Change Article by Bill Ostrander  rancher and unsuccessful candidate for 24th Congressional District seat  (Central and South Coast California)
Agriculture creates more than 20 percent of our carbon footprint and approximately 35 percent of the planet's greenhouse gas emissions.
http://www.ostranderforcongress.com/climate-change

“4 per 1,000” Initiative:
The “4 per 1,000” Initiative wants to demonstrate that agriculture can provide practical solutions to the challenge of climate disruption, while also meeting that posed by food security through the use of farming methods that match local conditions: e.g. agroecology, agroforestry, conservation agriculture, landscape management. http://4p1000.org/understand

BOOK/The Carbon Farming Solution
A Global Toolkit of Perennial Crops and Regenerative Agriculture Practices for Climate Change Mitigation and Food Security
By Eric Toensmeier Foreword by Dr. Hans Herren  http://www.chelseagreen.com/the-carbon-farming-solution

BOOK/Soil Not Oil Environmental Justice in an Age of Climate Crisis Author: Vandana Shiva
https://www.northatlanticbooks.com/shop/soil-not-oil/

Restoring Global Soil Quality Is One Of The Best Things We Can Do For Climate Change:
Little known climate change fact: Just the first meter of soil contains as much carbon as the entire atmosphere. And there's potential to soak up much more. http://www.fastcoexist.com/3052240/restoring-global-soil-quality-is-one-of-the-best-things-we-can-do-for-climate-change

(805) 962-2571
P.O. Box 92156, Santa Barbara, CA 93190
margie at sbpermaculture.org
http://www.sbpermaculture.org