Pisc courses

Sandiego PCCenter permaculturecntr at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 17 21:40:25 PST 1999

Bill, Sorry I missed the 3/14 workshop.  Notice was too short.  I'm
going to be in Northern California on the 28 and can't attend.  I'll
miss Gabriel but give him my regards. I look forward to seeing him again
since our acquaintance in Baja.  He's a great guy and resource. Thanks
for the info.  Bruce

>From: DrRoley at aol.com
>To: sdpg at arashi.com
>Subject: Pisc courses
>Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:33:24 EST
>
>Bruce
>
>Enclosed is a list of upcoming courses. The March 28 on looks like it
is
>filling up. Last weekend we only had a few folks but Tom De Hotel and I
did a
>great review of the farms sustainability and operations.
>
>The Tecate course May 29 and Sept 29 both on might be tied in with the
San
>Diego Natural History Museum and their teacher traing program. We could
both
>share the vbision of bring permaculture to the public schools and train
some
>teachers in environmental literacy.
>
>Permaculture Institute of Southern California Spring Workshops
>
>March 14, 1999
>Orchard Management and Cover Cropping
>
>Laganza Farms, Aguanga, Ca
>Eos Institute's Permaculture Organic(CCOF)/Biodynamic fieldsite
>
>Instructors:
>Tom DeHotel, Horticultural, Home Depot
>Bill Roley, Director, Permaculture Institute of Southern California
>

>This one day workshop will look at fruit tree options for various zones
in
>Southern California and identify cultivars that can be grown in these
>subtropical/temperate areas. Hand-on cultural techniques and pruning
will be
>presented to demonstrate state of the art strategies. Exploration of
soil
>fertility methods using cover crop for orchard  and vegetable row crops
>enhancement will be presented with practical activities to engage
>participants.
>

>March 28, 1999 : April, May, June 1999 (TBA)
>Designing, Growing and Planting a Polycultural-Agroforest Windbreak
>
>Laganza Farms, Aguanga, Ca
>Eos Institute's Permaculture Organic(CCOF)/Biodynamic fieldsite
>
>Instructors:
>Gabriel Howearth, Designer, Bionational  Coevolution Gardens, Baja,
California
>    Co founder Seeds of Change
>Bill Roley, PhD., Director, Permaculture Institute of Southern
California

>A series of workshops over the spring will have individuals participate
assist
>in the design, grow out and planting of  a microclimate modifier for
the
>garden and orchard. An intermixed annual/perennial  agroforestry system
using
>legumes, canopy cover crops, trees, shrubs, grasses and herbs will
provide a
>saleable option to the farm while creating microclimates of frost free
zones
>for the orchard and gardens.
>
>A seed and seedling nursery will be organized at the first workshop to
provide
>the plant materials for the windbreak and shade canopy designs.
Training for a
>nursery technologist will provide an internship opportunity in the Eos
>/Permaculture Institute's  educational apprenticeship program.
>
>These plantings will become a salable windbreak that improve the life
in the
>soil. These windbreaks will create microclimates that increase a range
of crop
>diversity, lengthen the growing season by buffering the temperatures
and wind
>extremes on the site. The consequence is enhance fertility of soils,
>stimulating productivity. giving rise to feeding plants.  This
increases our
>harvest and economic yield of better quality nutrition, flavors and
vibrancy
>for our members . The effects of the implemented design will help to
create
>the long term ecological and economic sustainability of the farm.
>

>May 29, September 25, 1999
>Tres Estrellas Farm for Rancho La Puerta
>Tecate, Baja California, Mexico
>
>Instructors:
>Gabriel Howearth, Designer, Bionational  Coevolution Gardens, Baja,
California
>    Co founder Seeds of Change
>Bill Roley, PhD., Director, Permaculture Institute of Southern
California

>A tour of the demonstration orchard and raised bed gardens that supply
fruits
>and vegetables to guests at Rancho La Puerta. The farm will supply the
back
>drop for a stimulating group of exercises in composting and gardening
>technologies. Emphasis on fertility management, crop rotation, planting
>patterns, irrigation and integrated pest management opportunities will
provide
>hand-on experiences in a bilingual atmosphere. Sarah Liva Brightwood,
>Landscape Architect/Permaculture Designer and Enrique Ceballos,
Biologist and
>Nursery Horticulturist will be our hosts.
>
>Opportunities to visit "Las Piedras" the environmental education center
for
>the local schools at nearby Parque del Professor. The Park was created
by
>Fundacion La Puerta in memory of Professor Edmond Szekely, philosopher
and
>founder of Rancho La Puerta. "Las Piedras" was designed by Cellos and
>Brightwood with assistance from James and Drew Hubbell, the sculptured
>classrooms are built within the bouldered landscape. Together with
miles of
>intrepretative trails in the rich natural spaces around Parque del
Professor,
>they provide learning experiences and a living curriculum for the
children of
>Tecate. The first phase of activities inculdes a collaboration with
PROBEA, an
>environemtal literacy teachers training program co-sponsored by the San
Diego