[Sdpg] Passive Solar and "Polar" Cooling

sdpg-admin at arashi.com sdpg-admin at arashi.com
Mon Apr 23 22:07:42 PDT 2001

>We are also looking for ways to make it breezier in our home, as we do not
>want to use our air conditioning at all this year.
>
>PeggyM

Peggy et al,

The easiest and cheapest way to moderate the temperature inside a building
is to FIRST moderate the temperature around the building...can't say enough
about shade (shade your west facing walls with trees/trellises and shade
your western windows on the OUTSIDE -before the heat passes into your house)

Two other ideas come to mind, well three now...

A persian design, thousands of years old, is to catch the summer winds
comming off the mountains using a large scoop at roof level and a pipe into
the house. Architect Nader Khalili is using this design in his houses in
Hesperia, Ca. -see www.calearth.org

Another tried and true method is to install a solar chimney (a large black
vent pipe) on the roof and draw naturally cooled air from underground
tunnels into your house. As the chimney heats up it vents hot air up and
out, that air is replaced by the air from tunnels (undergroud pipes) on the
polar side of your house. -see Introduction to Permaculture by Bill
Mollison, p.86, chapter 4 "structures" has a lot of other "no-tech" ideas
for the home.

The other idea how to beat the summer heat is to do what I did and move to
Los Osos. ;)

Contact me if you want more details... don't forget that we are teaching a
Permaculture Design Certification Course this summer...contact cal poly
extended ed for registration info.

Larry Santoyo SLO CA