[Sdpg] A Website for A California Native Plant Nursery An Amazing Source of Plant Knowledge for Permaculture Designers and more

sdpg-admin at arashi.com sdpg-admin at arashi.com
Thu Dec 6 08:24:11 PST 2001

Las Pilitas  Nursery  http://www.laspilitas.com/

A nursery growing California native plants, designing ecosystems, restoring
and creating native landscapes—Since 1974.

This web site has about 2000 pages of information about California Native
Plants and their uses. We've included design how-to pages about ecology,
restoration, landscaping, mitigation, wildlife, birds, hummingbirds, and
even what you can eat. We've tried to help the folks that are putting life
back into their garden, and as it usually turns out, their own life. Small
gardens can still be a niche for one bird or a handful of desirable
insects, larger gardens can be bigger than most of the 'restorations' in
your county and support a full spectrum of wildlife. Why naturalize (plant
other people's plants) when you can plant the real natural wildflowers?
Wildflowers don't have to be annuals, they can be perennials, bushes and
even trees. They're still 'wild' flowers and the birds and butterflies
still love them. Go wild with your design.

Las Pilitas Nursery has two locations. In San Luis Obispo county the
nursery is located on 82 acres at 3232 Las Pilitas Rd., Santa Margarita, CA
93453. Phone: 805-438-5992. We are open to the public every Saturday from
9:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. We are open to wholesale customers Monday through
Friday, 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M., Pacific Standard Time.

In San Diego county the nursery is located on 21 acres at 8331 Nelson
Way(just 100 ft. off of Old Highway 395, look right) in Escondido, CA
92026. Phone 760-749-5930. Open to retail and wholesale customers 9 AM to 4
PM, Monday through Saturday.

Ian added the Beta version of our native plant selector. Search for native
plant size, color, plant community, preselected for your site or garden!
The landscape designers dream! In your garden build your own plant
community, or your dream plant community. Figure out that yellow flower on
the 1 meter bush for the back garden. Design the south facing slope for the
restoration site. Hey, it's free! (We're working on it off and on, so it
will be down at times. Not always planned!) The Beta Plant Picker- Robot
Garden Designer , (if you can think of a better description, let us know)
The "Mac" kind of people are having trouble with the city list, we're
working on the fix. In the meantime it apparently works on Linux and
Windows only.

Please send us your suggestions, you can use our email form.

We can help you create a native Hummingbird Garden, Butterfly Garden,
Wildlife Garden.
Designers, you're welcome to use our pages as part of your resources and
your designs, but please list the source! The other web site
(mynativeplants) can help you find the right plant for the troublesome
restoration or garden design.
Plant native plants, life depends on it.

The Nurseries
Escondido Las Pilitas
The 1000 Plants
Plant descriptions with pictures Price list
Habitats Communities
The Manual of California Native Plants Updated
Couch Gardener
Easy Section
Advanced Section
Reference section
How To's... <pictures/guides.gif>
Landscaping for deer Landscaping for fire areas
Design your fragrant path Replace a lawn
Attract butterflies Attract birds
part I Planting natives part II
Hummingbird Gardening When to plant natives
A simple restoration A Wildlife Garden
Simple Drip Irrigation
Restoration Projects
Coastal prairie Coastal sage scrub
Chaparral/ woodland Serpentine wetland
Riparian
Our Garden in Pictures
May Summerpond
Classes
Birds and butterflies Incredible edibles
Landscaping with California native plants Landscaping with natives workshop
Seminars
Native oaks and mycorrhiza California native herbs
Al Naydol's Gardening With Cal-Natives Class