[Sdpg] A Permaculture Primer

sdpg-admin at arashi.com sdpg-admin at arashi.com
Wed Jan 23 23:47:59 PST 2002

http://home.klis.com/~chebogue/PermacultureIndex.html

----------
<index.htm>

A PERMACULTURE PRIMER

Why this Primer?

In July of 1995 we took a <What%20is%20PC.htm>Permaculture course sponsored
by the Institute of Bioregional Studies at the Ovens' Natural Park in Nova
Scotia. The two week event was choreographed and informed by Michael
Pilarski and Garry Lean, our primary instructors. The learning experience
spilled over into all hours of the day as students, instructors, park
owners, and guests interacted with and synergized each others' energies. At
the end of the two weeks we had gained a new perspective on our lives, many
new friends and a wealth of notes and references.

It is the latter, the volumes of notes and references, that this web site
attacks. Quite frankly, we were stuffed-full! We had just been through the
equivalent of two college courses in two weeks and were suffering from
information overload. We gave the material some incubation time and came
back to it. We finally decided that the material could be organized into
the five major areas around which this Primer is organized.
<Principles.htm>The Principles -- which are the big ideas guiding decisions
and helping in evaluation of design alternatives. <p.Components.htm>The
Components -- which are the physical and social elements placed in the
design to accomplish its purpose. <p.Concepts.htm>The Concepts -- which are
those ideas that guide placement of components to meet the principles.
<Associated%20Movements.htm>The Associated Movements -- which are other
areas of interest having information that may inform our decision making.
<Resources.htm>The Resources -- which are publications, organizations and
other information sources.

We have found this arrangement useful for consolidating our notes and
thoughts, developing a filing system for material we collect, and dealing
with the diversity of permaculture information. This web site is an update
and expansion of our 1995 draft. It contains revisions of our original note
material and new information we have developed since the course. We hope
that it will be of use to others. It is an evolving document and we welcome
comments, discussion, corrections and additions.

Dan Earle and Sue Hutchins
chebogue at klis.com