[Sdpg] Feb. 26, Annual Meeting - "Choosing Sustainability"

sdpg-admin at arashi.com sdpg-admin at arashi.com
Mon Feb 25 08:18:23 PST 2002

The San Diego Economic Conversion Council & Permaculture Center invite you
to our
Annual Membership Meeting & 17th Anniversary Celebration--"Choosing
Sustainability"

Tuesday, February 26, 2002, 7:00 p.m. social, 7:30 p.m. program
First Unitarian Universalist Church, 4190 Front Street, Common Room
(validated parking in church lot on Arbor Dr.)

 RSVP:  (619) 298-8878 or email <sdecc at igc.org>

The annual meeting is a social evening with good friends and refreshments,
the election of the Board of Directors for 2002, and a lively forum on the
topic "Choosing Sustainability."  The forum will focus on the choices that
will be made this year in military policy, energy policies, and campaign
finance reform.  Speakers will offer actions we can take to stop U.S.
withdrawal from the ABM Treaty, promote renewable energy, and invigorate
democracy through clean elections.

The meeting is free and open to the public.  We hope you will join us and
100 Nobel Laureates (see below) in renewing our efforts to pursue peace
through sustainable development.

**********
Nobel Laureates Call for Action to Counter Global Warming and Weaponized World

OSLO, Norway-December 7, 2001 (OTVNewswire) At the Nobel Peace Prize
Centennial Symposium, 100 Nobel laureates issued the following statement on
world peace:

"The most profound danger to world peace in the coming years will stem not
from the irrational acts of states or individuals but from the legitimate
demands of the world's dispossessed. Of these poor and disenfranchised, the
majority live a marginal existence in equatorial climates."

"Global warming, not of their making but originating with the wealthy few,
will affect their fragile ecologies most. Their situation will be desperate
and manifestly unjust. It cannot be expected, therefore, that in all cases
they will be content to await the beneficence of the rich. If then we
permit the devastating power of modern weaponry to spread through this
combustible human landscape, we invite a conflagration that can engulf both
rich and poor. The only hope for the future lies in co-operative
international action, legitimized by democracy."

"It is time to turn our backs on the unilateral search for security, in
which we seek to shelter behind walls. Instead, we must persist in the
quest for united action to counter both global warming and a weaponized
world. These twin goals will constitute vital components of stability as we
move toward the wider degree of social justice that alone gives hope of
peace.  Some of the needed legal instruments are already at hand, such as
the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty, the Convention on Climate Change, the
Strategic Arms Reduction Treaties and the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty. As
concerned citizens, we urge all governments to commit to these goals that
constitute steps on the way to replacement of war by law. To survive in the
world we have transformed, we must learn to think in a new way. As never
before, the future of each depends on the good of all."

complete list of signees at
http://grace.evergreen.edu/~millan06/1/nobel_statement.html