[Sdpg] The Power of Duck: Integrated Rice & Duck Farming

sdpg-admin at arashi.com sdpg-admin at arashi.com
Tue Mar 26 22:03:31 PST 2002

Here's a noteworthy book for The Permaculturist's Bookshelf::

"The Power of Duck: Integrated Rice & Duck Farming"
by Takao Furuno.  Tagari Publications, Tasmania.

This book is really impressive for a summary of this sustainable
farming method, but also for the creative farmer-friendly layout
with crop calenders as to "when" you perform interseeding of
cover crops, etc..

It is like Furuno & Tagari sat down and did a permaculture
design on how to present information in a book format.  It is
laid out so well that it is easy to follow, even though rice-duck
integrated agriculture is fairly complex when you think about it.
It's got plenty of illustration, tables, and photographs.

Weeder geese generated a lot of interest in the early 90's.  One
time I was digging through the university library to find information
on this topic and I across a curious blurb about "Agaimo ducks"
as biological weeders in addition to weeder geese. Well, this
book is about the Agaimo duck, the work bird of the Orient.

Here's a few book descriptions I found on Google.com

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~it6i-wtnb/PowerDuckChapter.html
http://www.ecwa.asn.au/info/news0104.html#Duck
http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~Aigamo21/Furuno%20book/Book1.html

It is a new book.  I believe it sets a new standard in organic farming
literature.  It presents an alternative farming system that is,
biologically,quite complex... yet laid out in practical terminology with
illustrations
and graphics and photos.

We wrote to Tagari about ordering books, and they
provided a couple of North American distributors, fyi:

Tagari Publications  - Permaculture Institute
31 Rulla Road
Sisters Creek
Tasmania 7325
Australia