[Sdpg] INTERNATIONAL NATURAL BUILDING CONVERGENCE part 2 Natural Building Training & Carpentry Courses

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Jul 30 09:46:27 PDT 2002

Please post or pass this onto other interested folks, relevant calendars &
email listserves. If you would like some flyers or if you don't want to
receive future mailings please let us know at janell at kleiwerks.com.

INTERNATIONAL 10 DAY TRAINING IN THE ART OF NATURAL BUILDING
SEPTEMBER 6-15, 2002
ASHEVILLE, NC, USA
Learn how to build beautifully crafted, long-lasting, affordable,
non-toxic, energy efficient dwellings with all local and natural materials.

Join Kleiwerks Natural Building and SouthEast Ecological Design in the late
summer lushness of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. Through hands-on
practices, demonstrations, classes, slideshows, sharing and fun you will
learn how to design and build your own earthen home from start to finish.

During our 10 days together we will build a lovely earthen cottage with a
thatch and bamboo roof. We will also work on several other small projects
which may include (as time allows) an arch, sculpted bench, living roof,
strawbale wall, rocket stove and other learning projects. This will take
place at Kevin's permaculture homestead near Asheville, NC. Also on the
itinerary is a tour of some of the area's clay and straw structures
including Asheville's first cob dwelling, Dancing Dragonfly's strawclay and
cob pottery studio and Earthaven Ecovillage's passive solar buildings.

This training has the unique benefit of hosting the kick-off of a 6 week
International Natural Building Convergence. Our group will include
villagers and grassroots activists who've been invited to join us because
of the outstanding sustainable living/permaculture work they are doing in
their countries. We look forward to the special opportunity to share, build
and learn with them. (For more information about the six week Convergence
please email janell at kleiwerks.com)

In this course you will learn the following techniques:
*Adobe
*Cob
*Strawclay
*Earthen Plasters
*Clay-based Paints
*Bamboo
*Thatch
*Stone

You will also learn how to:
*Identify & mix materials
*Hand-sculpt built-in furniture, niches, arches & relief
*Install windows, doors, drainage & foundations
*Approach whole-systems & passive solar design
*Deal with permits
*And more!

INSTRUCTORS: Janell Kapoor, Mollie Curry, Kevin Ward, Michel Spaan and
other special guests.

FEE: Includes delicious organic meals, camping, tours and tuition. $575
each for 3 or more people; $625 each for 2 people; $675 for 1 person. Some
partial barter and work trades are available for people who really need it;
some partial scholarships are available for people of color who really need
it. Extra money will help support participants from 'less developed'
countries. Early registration is encouraged.

REGISTRATION: To reserve your place please send your name, address, email
and a $250 non-refundable deposit per person to:
"SouthEast Ecological Design" c/o Kevin Ward, 1043 Old Fort Road, Fairview,
NC 28730. Please include a note if you heard about the workshop through
this mailing. Once we receive your registration we will send you more
details & directions.

INFORMATION: If you have any questions please feel free to contact us. The
host and contact person for this course is Kevin Ward.
Call: 828.768.6448
Email: seedesign at hotmail.com
Visit: www.kleiwerks.com

SPONSORED BY:
KLEIWERKS NATURAL BUILDING & SOUTHEAST ECOLOGICAL DESIGN
VISIT US AT WWW.KLEIWERKS.COM

OTHER UPCOMING WORKSHOPS:

(This course is offered by Culture's Edge, an educational non-profit.)
The course you've secretly been waiting for but were to shy to ask for!
BEGINNING CARPENTRY- a workshop for women and men
Earthaven Ecovillage, Black Mountain, North Carolina
August 21-25, 2002
with Jessica Kirby

*Learn skills from an experienced professional.
*Surpass prior limitations in a supportive atmosphere.
*Gain confidence using the tools of the trade.
*Work cooperatively on an actual building project.
*Learn to make small functional wooden objects.
*Empower yourself to participate more in the labors of life.

Fee: $350 per person includes meals, camping & facilities.

Contact: To register or for more information call Arjuna at 828. 669.0114
or email MaArjuna at aol.com. Please let her know if you heard about the
workshop through this mailing.

SPONSORED BY: CULTURE'S EDGE AT EARTHAVEN ECOVILLAGE
VISIT THEM AT WWW.EARTHAVEN.ORG

NATURAL BUILDING IN THAILAND
WINTER 2002-2003
Starting this November there will be a number of earthen building projects
happening in Thailand. Details will be posted/announced soon. If you are
interested please contact janell at kleiwerks.com.

COLLEGE CREDIT
If you are interested in getting college credit for courses contact
janell at kleiwerks.com.