[Sdpg] The Eye of the Beholder a KPBS produced documentary on James Hubbell, airs Sunday, September 29 at 8 p.m.

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Sep 16 07:02:57 PDT 2002

The Eye of the Beholder

  Story and Photography by Randy Hoffman
  “Let me describe to you a world we
  are entering, a world where equality is
  seen not as sameness but as
  uniqueness. This is a world where
  matter and energy are understood as
  inseparable and where God is as at
  home in a cup of coffee as in the
  stars.” ­From Architecture of
  Jubilation by James Hubbell, 1974

  It is too easy to call James Hubbell a
  Renaissance Man. Leave that for
  well-heeled dainties with hands too
  clean to pound metal on a clanging
  anvil. Instead, let Hubbell be what he
  is, an artistic visionary, working in
  and of nature with all that it has to
  offer. Stone, clay, iron, water, glass,
  wood, cement or brick, it doesn’t
  matter. Hubbell will find it, shape it,
  and set it free.

  For more than 40 years, from a
  work/live compound in San Diego’s backcountry, Hubbell has directed his
  childhood interest in painting and sculpture to an architectural vision
that has
  breached the world of straight lines and right angles. His creations test
dimension,
  inspire wonder and instill introspection. Hundreds of finished works feed
a hungry
  world from Shelter Island to Vladivostok Russia, taking the form of
residential,
  institutional and civic installations.

  “What I find interesting is space and light and that type of thing,”
Hubbell says.
  “I’ve done thousands of watercolors from nature. When I layout a job, I’m
often
  using the same kind of layout you would find in nature. That’s my world.
It’s not
  neon lights and parking lots.”

  Walking Hubbell’s property in East County’s Wynola hills creates a
portfolio of
  sorts that reveals the development of his vision. The living and work
spaces - eight
  of them - seem to have swelled out of the ground they stand on, taking their
  rightful place among the indigenous manzanita and oak trees. Cement and tile
  rooflines dip and scallop, occasionally tied at the top with a knot of metal,
  sometimes allowed to fall to a dripping point that lingers overhead. Smaller
  sculptures direct attention up chunky stone paths toward deep blue pools,
or stand
  in quiet agreement with surrounding structures and far off horizons.
Curvy brick
  walls advance and recede, sensuous tile inlay cools the eye, and colorful
glass
  designs spray interiors with shifting patterns of light. Like nature
itself, the work is
  at once disarmingly simple and overwhelmingly complex.

  Hubbell and his wife Anne secured the location in 1958, shortly after
their wedding.
  With both sets of parents residing in San Diego’s coastal north county,
Hubbell
  says they needed to gain a little distance “so we wouldn’t have to go to
dinner all
  the time.” Responding to a young family on the rise, (they would raise
four boys on
  the property), the Hubbells began scaling learning curves and building
dreams.

  “This is the first wall I built,” Hubbell tells me as I stand admiring
the north facing
  construction of what is now his office. (The space was originally the
family’s first
  home.) Large, stone chunks are gripped by cement, with hefty wood beams
  extending at the top. Smaller stones, flat and lighter in color, string
through the
  sturdy composition on the horizontal.

  “I wouldn’t trade that time for anything,” Hubbell says when asked about
those
  fledgling days. “It was about waking up in the morning and saying ‘Oh
yeah, I’m
  going to do THAT to that wall,’ and then going and doing it. I was
treating this
  wall almost as a mural. All the stones are from the ground here. We laid
all the
  stones so the part that was [originally] exposed [to the sun] is on the
outside, and
  is dark. The part that was underground is on the inside, so it is red. At
one time,
  there were five of us living here. Of course, they [his children] were
much smaller
  people then!”

  Over the next 20 years, Hubbell would erect the other seven structures on the
  property, each of them advancing newfound concepts of design and
construction.
  In the early ‘70s, he began work on separate living quarters for the
boys, which
  they eventually would refer to as the Bat Cave. The space features a
tiled bathroom
  with a leaded glass ceiling, a sunken tub and abalone shells cascading
down the
  walls. The living room floor, set with clay tiles rolled out with a
rolling pin, was
  completed over a period of eight years.

  “If I do something and it doesn’t seem to work, I try to change it so it
will, but I
  don’t very often go back and tear things apart,” Hubbell says. “Then I
incorporate
  what I’ve learned in the next thing. Often I find that things that look
like mistakes
  actually lead you somewhere you need to go. The mistake, in a sense, is a
door. I
  think a lot of what I do with my work, and in life, is staying awake and
watching
  what’s happening. When the ‘music’ changes, put your root in a different
place.”

  “I don’t really follow the thing that in the beginning there is the
‘word’, that
  somehow if you can name it, it’s real,” he continues. “I feel that things
have to do
  with a more organic kind of thing. To me, it’s not so much understanding
  something as sensing the pattern and the rhythm in it to know what has to
happen
  next. I think you can understand life a little bit better thinking about
it that way.
  Like if I’m trying to paint the mountain, what I’m trying to do is stand
somewhere in
  between myself and the mountain. So, I paint the mountain, and the mountain
  paints me. The ‘painting’ is part of that conversation. You’re watching and
  listening to what is happening between you and the mountain and the feelings
  you’re having, and you’re trying to get somewhere where they all kind of
blend.”

  In more recent years, Hubbell’s attention has veered away from private and
  institutional work to more civic-minded projects. In 1998, an
introduction to a
  Russian diplomat at a reception in San Diego resulted in the construction
of a
  public space in Vladivastok. Last year, a similar project was completed
in China.
  Closer to home, he is involved with the continuing construction of El
Colegio de
  Esperanza School in Tijuana and Crestview, a 300-acre ecological park
intended to
  be a living laboratory for area high school students to explore science,
humanities
  and the arts in the East County community of Crest. Under Hubbell’s
direction, the
  projects are executed by coalitions of young people, many of them
architectural
  students of high school and college age, but generally assembled without
regard to
  previous experience. In Hubbell’s world, inexperience is a valuable tool,
and the
  effort allows him to teach and nurture concepts he hopes will be carried
well into
  the future by young, enthusiastic minds.

  “It’s like working with a jazz band that can’t read music and doesn’t
know how to
  play the instruments,” he says. “But you get certain qualities from what
they do
  that you could not get if you were in control. It’s a different world.
And it’s really a
  world that’s very valid. Besides, education, in a lot of cases, kind of
narrows the
  world. You begin to say you understand it, and when you understand something,
  then you, in a sense, die. You kill the rest of the world. Sooner or
later, you have to
  trust yourself. That’s really what it’s about.”

  Eye of the Beholder, a KPBS produced documentary on James Hubbell, airs
  Sunday, September 29 at 8 p.m. The program is produced by Marianne Gerdes.