[Sdpg] Take 2: ENA eNews #0006!

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network sbpcnet at silcom.com
Fri Mar 14 21:23:23 PST 2003

Hi folks,

It seems we hit the send button prematurely, and sent this eNews
before the final corrections.  Here it is again corrected. Sorry to
duplicate!

ENA NEWS
Electronic Newsletter of the Ecovillage Network of the Americas

Date: March, 2003
Issue #0006
Editor: Giovanni Ciarlo: giovanni at ecovillage.org

Dear Friends;
This newsletter of the Ecovillage Network of the Americas (ENA) is
distributed to subscribers in North, Central, South America, the
Caribbean and beyond. ENA is a grassroots sustainable community
network, and part of the Global Ecovillage Network (GEN). ENA's
mission: To engage the peoples of the Americas in common effort to
join the global transformation towards ecologically, economically and
culturally sustainable human settlement. Our focus is to meet the
needs of present and future generations for a safe and healthy planet
to inhabit.
~~~

You can subscribe or unsubscribe on-line for ENA eNews, and read
previous editions in four languages.

For English and French, go to: http://ena.ecovillage.org/English
Click on the News button in the sidebar and follow the link to
eNewsletters.

For Castellano/Portuguese, go to: http://ena.ecovillage.org/Espanol
Click on the Noticias in the sidebar and follow the link to Boletin-e.
~~~

Special thanks to Stephan Wik and ANU Internet Services for
sponsoring web hosting for ENA. http://www.anu.net/

~~~

FROM ENA'S INTERNATIONAL & CENTRAL OFFICES

~ Since September 2002, an international team has been working to
integrate the web, eMail and database systems of all regions of the
Global Ecovillage Network (GEN). When complete, by July 2003, these
systems and services will be significantly expanded and easy to use.
We appreciate your patience while this work is in progress. GEN and
all GEN regions may be accessed via: http://www.ecovillage.org

~ Announcing the NEW Ecovillage Store on ENA's web pages.  The EV
Store will be offering a variety of books and videos in the future.
Our first item is an inspiring new book, Ecovillage Living: Restoring
the Earth and Her People, edited by Hildur Jackson, Karen Svensson.
Go to: http://ena.ecovillage.org/English
or http://ena.ecovillage.org/Espanol

then click on Store link to read the press release for this book (in
4 languages), and to purchase the book on-line.  ENA is offering the
lowest DISCOUNT price: $22 INCLUDING Shipping ANYWHERE in the
Americas. Proceeds support the ecovillage networks.

~ ENA Central office has been working to bring ecovillage products to
new markets.  Besides providing products made with sustainable
materials and methods, and supporting the economic sustainability of
ecovillages, proceeds also support ENA networking activities. The
first product of this project is now available through Gaiam -
natural yoga mats, made by Imagination, a business associated with
Auroville in India. Available for purchase on-line at:
http://www.gaiam.com/retail/
product.asp?catalog%5Fname=gai&category%5Fname=l3%5FMatsBricksStrapsYoga
Tools&product%5Fid=95%2D0924

~ West & East U.S. ENA Council representatives Lois Arkin of Los
Angeles Ecovillage, and Manda Gillespie of Cleveland Ecocity are
leading up an effort to coalesce an URBAN ECOVILLAGE NETWORK. The
ecovillage movement is blessed with diversity. From rural to urban,
neighborhood experiments to large districts in transition, in many
cultures and geopolitical climates, people are getting on with the
work that must be done. The challenge of transforming urban environs
is especially difficult, but there is growing interest and many
projects underway to do just that. If you are interested in getting
involved and helping to launch the URBAN ECOVILLAGE NETWORK eMail:
info at ecovillage.org

REGIONAL NEWS
For full contact information of regional representatives, go to:
http://ena.ecovillage.org/English
Click on the Contacts button in the sidebar.

BRAZIL

~ Many ENA networkers attended the World Social Forum (WSF) in Porto
Alegre Brazil, January 2003. Organizer May East says, "The purpose of
our presence in the WSF was twofold: 1-  to assert the fact of the
ecovillage movement as a contemporary social movement that is
bringing concrete answers to the major issues of our times; 2- to
strengthen and coordinate further the actions of the Brazilian
Ecovillage Network."  Read more on ENA's Web News:
http://ena.ecovillage.org/English
Then click on FEATURE Article: Ecovillage Networks at the World
Social Forum, Brazil

Available in Spanish and Portuguese at:
http://ena.ecovillage.org/Espanol/

CANADA

~ "Shelter in Canada" is the theme of the Jan/Feb. 2003 issue of
Canadian Geographic. Among other wonderful stories, some Canadian
ecovillages and eco-homes are featured in the article, Going Green in
the Burbs. Thanks to author Bruce McDougall and photographer Bob
Herger for bringing the concepts to many Canadians!

~ Congratulations to OUR Ecovillage, BC, whose application for
rezoning was recently passed with 100% agreement. The new zoning
combines agricultural, rural residential and educational land uses
with protective convenants. With some adapting for different
situations, this zoning could act as a model for ecovillages and
conservation developments across Canada!
For more about the Ecovillage Network of Canada:
http://enc.ecovillage.org/

CARIBBEAN

~ The Island School-Cape Eleuthera, Bahamas is a place-based semester
program for high school students from the US, The Bahamas and abroad.
A pioneer in conservation  education, the School has become a hub for
ecological design in The Bahamas. Our campus is home to an array of
innovations such as constructed wetlands, wind and solar electricity,
cordwood masonry architecture, and organic food production.
http://www.islandschool.org

EAST U.S.

~ May 23-25  Communities Conference - Memorial Day Weekend. Life in
community is one of the directions of sanity and sustainability so
needed by our planet today. Our goal with this conference is to help
those seeking more community in their life to come away uplifted and
energized to take the next step forward in their life path. In order
help facilitate the development of the spring conference, we are
setting up three focus points for study and sharing: Community,
Sustainability and Activism. Contact:
The Farm Welcome Center, Box 25, The Farm, Summertown, TN 38483
eMail: conference at thefarmcommunity.com
Phone: 931-964-3574

~ Unahwi Ridge Community of Sylva, NC has a full calendar of
sustainability and community oriented programs. For 2003 Events
eMail: info at unahwi-ridge.com

MESOAMERICA

~ A new representative for the second ENA council seat is now on
board for this region. Laura Kuri will be working closely with
Giovanni Ciarlo to continue to develop that region from her position
of director of Ayotl A.C., a grassroots NGO organization in
Cuernavaca, Mexico. Laura also manages the Bioregional Resource
Center for North America, is one of the key coordinators of the
Consejo de Visiones Guardianes de la Tierra and an Ashoka fellow
since 2001. She brings: - "appropriate technology expertise which is
a nice adjunct knowledge, - deeper connectivity to sister
organizations, - and contacts with seasoned activists in other
Mesoamerica countries.

~ Rancho "El Pardo" located 2 miles from Tlaxco, Tlaxcala, Mexico
offers International Workshops on Sustainable Techniques several
times a year. Next workshop: "Building with Nature", a workshop that
intends to change the paradigm of house building. March 2 - 8 2003.
To receive a calendar of workshops, write to:
Proyecto San Isidro: educación permanente, S.C.
Alejandra Caballero C. / Francisco Gomez R.
Tel. 01 241 4123289 Tel/fax. 01 241 4960665
eMail: proyectosanisidro at hotmail.com and sanisidro at turbotlax.com.mx

MOBILE

~ The Rainbow Peace Caravan is in Peru planning a large gathering of
movements called "The Call of the Condor" for the Southern Spring
Equinox, September 2003, in the Sacred Valley of  Cuzco. The series
of events will include a number of workshops and training in
developing sustainable communities; a gathering of such movements as
the Bioregional Congress of the USA, Canada and Mexico, the
indigenous movement Aguila y el Condor, the 13 Moons movement (Mayan
Calendar/Jose Arguelles etc), the spiritual movement Cielo Azul,
Sustainable Village (appropriate technology) the Ecovillage Networks
and others. Meetings of the ENA Council and/or GEN Board may also be
held at this time.  Watch for details as they develop!  We will
publicize information in on-line ENA News and the Calendar for
July-September. Go to:
http://ena.ecovillage.org/English
Click on News, or, Calendar. Also visit the Caravan's web site:
http://www.lacaravana.org

NORTH SOUTH AMERICA

~ Marquina Ecovillage in Bolivia  has finished the first phase of
infrastructure fro El Poncho Eco-center, after 2 years of work. They
estimate 2 more years are needed to make this dream Ecovillage and
Permaculture training center come true. Says founder Enrique Hidalgo,
"We can proudly say that we have so far not gotten any funding from
anywhere. Creating our own resources has given us the opportunity to
become more self reliant. I believe this is the greatest lesson
learned this year and the lesson we can share with others following
the same path. The less one relies on the overall system, the
stronger and freer one will get, but that does not mean not to get
involved in as many activities as possible inside the system. It
means to get involved and to be able to guide and promote our goals
and ideals everywhere."
http://groups.msn.com/ilppictures/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

~ Job position for a permaculture consultant in Cusco, Peru. The
position consists of: Implementation of permaculture principles on
demonstrative sites in communities in the Andean highlands of the
Cusco department (renewable energies, etc) - Monitoring agronomists
implementing permacultural practices in the fields, marketing of
organic produce.

The consultant will:
- speak Spanish (necessary)
- speak Quetchua (if possible)
- have a driver license (if possible)
- work well in a team
- relate well to farmers
Please contact Jennie O'Reilly
Email: sauce23 at lycos.com

See MOBILE section above, for more about upcoming events in Peru.

SOUTH SOUTH AMERICA

~ MARCH 15-20  Permaculture Advanced course on Ecovillage Design at
GAIA LIVING AND LEARNING CENTER ARGENTINA - with Peter Bane, from
Earthaven Ecovillage, North Carolina (US). We will explore physical
and social technologies, the challenges and pitfalls, group dynamics,
financial and legal aspects of creating or recreating ecological
human communities for the 21st century. This 6-day program will
expose participants to the full range of issues involved in creating
sustainable human settlements.
CONTACT: Asociacion GAIA - Argentine Permaculture Institute.
eMail: gaia at gaia.org.ar
Postal Address: Almafuerte 1732 - (1650) San Martin - Buenos Aires,
Argentina. Phone (+54-2272) 492072; Fax (+54-11) 47522197

WEST UNITED STATES

~ Sunrise Credit Union provides financial services to its members
with the intent of promoting the expression of integrity in money
matters and, by affording members, their families and associates an
opportunity to accumulate savings and access credit on fair and
reasonable terms. This credit union knows intentional community. They
began in one, and their offices are located in one. Phone:
888-871-3482   eMail: scu at ic.org
http://www.sunrisecu.coop/

4. RESOURCES

For extensive listings, see:
http://ena.ecovillage.org/English
Click on Resources.

~ Announcing the debut of Bonfire, the on-line magazine of the
International Institute for Facilitation and Consensus. This free,
bimonthly publication appears in both English and Spanish on our
website,  Bonfire contains a lively mix of theory, inspiration, humor
and practical suggestions for everyone concerned with group dynamics,
especially those related to meeting facilitation, decision-making and
conflict resolution. http://www.iifac.org
Contact: Beatrice B. Briggs  eMail: bbriggs at iifac.org
International Institute for Facilitation and Consensus
Plaza Corporativa #113
Domingo Diez 1589, Col. del Empleado
Cuernavaca, Morelos 62250 Mexico
tel-fax +52 (777)1022288 y 1022290

~ VIDEO: "Visions of Utopia: Experiments in Sustainable Culture: Tape
One"
A Documentary by Geoph Kozeny. Features in-depth profiles of 7
diverse contemporary groups:
     Camphill Special School  (Glenmoore PA, 1961)
     Twin Oaks  (Louisa VA, 1967)
     Ananda Village  (Nevada City CA, 1969)
     Breitenbush Hot Springs  (Detroit OR, 1977)
     Purple Rose Collective  (San Francisco CA, 1978)
     Earthaven Ecovillage  (Black Mountain NC, 1992)
     Nyland Cohousing  (Lafayette CO, 1993)
See and hear community members tell their stories in their own words.
http://store.ic.org/video
Order by phone fax or mail:
FIC - 138 Twin Oaks Rd - Louisa VA 23093
phone  800-462-8240   fax 540-894-4112

~ Introducing EcoBusinessLinks: Environmental Directory -
http://www.ecobusinesslinks.com/
Looking for cheap solar panels, a solar house, organic cotton, a
vegetarian date, an organic farm or organic food? This and much more
in thousands of reviewed green websites for a more Sustainable
Living. Links to specialized retail, food information, organic
farming and gardening, services, houses & interior, energy,
communities and travel.

~ Want to learn all aspects of solar energy, from the basics of
Photovoltaics to design and installation on your very own site?
SolEnergy is an educational organization that conducts online solar
energy courses on all aspects of the solar field. To find out more
about On-Line Courses & Practical Skills Training visit:
http://www.solenergy.org/

CALENDAR
For extensive events listings:
http://ena.ecovillage.org/English
Click on Calendar.

~ The Ecovillage Training Center, based at The Farm in Summertown TN,
home of the ENA International office - announces it's 2003 trainings:
http://www.thefarm.org/etc/courses.html

~ Agroecology Workshop
Location: Private cloud forest reserve Las Cañadas, Huatusco, Veracruz,
Mexico
Las Cañadas is an independent demonstrative & research regional
training site of the "biointensive farming method" and other farming
practices.
Dates: March 18, 19, 20, 21 & 22 of 2003
For more info, contact: Ricardo Romero, Director of Las Canadas
Web: http://www.bosquedeniebla.com.mx/
eMail:  bosquedeniebla at infosel.net.mx
Tel / fax: (273) 734 15 77

~ APRIL - JUNE  INTERNET Conference on Ecocity Development
There will be ten sessions. Each month there will be 2 parallel
sessions and each session will last for about 3 weeks. Topics
include: Ecocity Planning - Methodology; Urban waste management;
Urban impacts and the peri-urban environment; Industrial Ecology;
Human Ecology and Capacity Building for eco-culture; Panel
Discussion: Issues and Future of Ecocity Development.
http://www.ias.unu.edu/proceedings/icibs/ecocity03/tt-2.html

~ JULY 20-24  International Institute for Facilitation and Consensus
announces Intensive Trainings for Facilitators, in Cuernavaca Mexico.
A five-day training in the basics of meeting facilitation. Among the
topics to be covered are: the role and responsibilities of the
facilitator, agenda planning, room preparation, clarifying the ground
rules and decision-making procedures, strategies for encouraging
participation and dealing with "difficult people."
http://www.iifac.org

~~~

MORE REASONS FOR GIVING TO ENA:

# 3. SEEK OUT ORIGINALITY AND IMAGINATION.
We are establishing ways of cocreating a better world, with
everyone's involvement - joining heads, hearts and hands for the
quality of our own lives, and for those of future generations.

If you find this eNews and other ENA services useful and interesting,
please consider contributing to their continuation. Go to:
http://ena.ecovillage.org/English/
Then click on Get Involved! You can print out a donor form to
contribute by regular mail OR DONATE ON-LINE BY CREDIT CARD.

ENA is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. A receipt will be sent for
tax deduction in the U.S. Donors receive complimentary copies of
ENA's biannual newspaper - Ecovillages.

If you enjoy this newsletter, please forward it to friends and
associates and suggest they subscribe. Thank you!

Distributed without profit for research, networking and educational
purposes, ENA offers this eNewsletter free of charge. Copyright 2003
- Ecovillage Network of the Americas (ENA). Reserved rights. Contact:
ena at ecovillage.org

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com

www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order to
grow." - Anonymous