[Sdpg] Northern California Community Based Natural Builders Gathering June 13th-20th, 2003.

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Tue Apr 1 08:55:48 PST 2003

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA COMMUNITY BASED NATURAL BUILDINERS GATHERING
June 13th-20th 2003

Come join in a fun filled gathering of natural building and community
restoration at Black Bear Ranch, June 13th-20th, 2003. Black Bear
Ranch(BBR), an intentional community in a rural, off the grid location with
a focus on ecologically based community living, provides an excellent place
for natural building.

Our intention is to bring together a diverse group of natural builders to
restore and energize this amazing, time tested intentional community. In our
current political and environmental state community and alternative
technologies have never been more important. BBR is a magical place that has
been a center for social and environmental change for the past 35 years. It
is essential that we not let Black Bear and other past hot beds of societal
experimentation and change slip into the realm of memories, please come join
in this important revitalization.

Black Bear Ranch (BBR) is a 35-year-old intentional community located on 75
acres in the remote and rugged Salmon Mountains of Northern California.
Surrounded by the Marble, Trinity and Russian Wilderness areas, the steep
mountains, tall trees and 50 mile distance from the nearest utility grid
combine to give BBR the feeling of existing in another realm. From the
one-lane Salmon River road it is either a 10-mile drive on dirt roads or a
5-mile hike up Black Bear Creek. BBR is a hub for organic gardening,
ecosystem restoration, fire ecology, sustainable forestry, appropriate
technology and alternative energy.

BBR provides a unique opportunity for natural building in a rural community
setting. Originally a gold mining town, some of the buildings on the ranch
were built in the late 1800's and are in need of some major repairs. We will
construct a summer kitchen, a creative children's play space, finish a small
cob structure, and revamp existing cabins and community structures. A
diverse range of natural materials including cob, adobe, wood, timber frame,
wattle and daub, straw bale, and others will be used. We will also implement
various appropriate technology systems, possibly including a gray water
marsh and solar hot water heaters.

In celebration of Black Bear Ranch's 35th year as a commune, the gathering
will close with a large solstice party June 21st-23rd. Musicians, artists,
and actors we welcome your talents. There will be a variety show during the
solstice celebration, as well as space for art and music throughout the
week. We invite all participants to join us in this celebration, as well as
stay to finish up the projects. If you plan to stay on through the
celebration please contact us via e-mail, or at the phone number or address
listed below.

REGISTRATION:
Space is limited so we ask that you register by May 13th.

·       The cost of the 8 day gathering is a sliding scale donation of
$200-$600.
All profits from this gathering will go toward the BBR Building and
Restoration Fund. We encourage families to join us. Children under 14 are
free, but we ask a  donation for children over the ages of 8 to cover the
cost of food.

·       Full or partial barter and work exchange is also available, however
these
spaces fill quickly, so contact us immediately if you are interested.

·       Presenters: Please contact us if you have slide shows or other
presentations so that we can schedule everyone in.

·       To register please email or send us a brief description of your
self and
the role that natural building plays in you life.

salmonrivernaturalbuilders at hotmail.com

Salmon River Natural Builders
Box P.O. Box 23
Forks of Salmon, CA 96031

If you have questions e-mail us or leave a message at (530) 462-4720. Please
include a good time for us to reach you.

ACCOMODATIONS:
There are many beautiful places to camp along the creeks and in the forest
and meadows. Bring a tent or sleep out under the stars. There are limited
indoor accommodations.

MEALS:
Three delicious meals will be provided each day. Each meal will include a
vegetarian option. Much of the produce comes from local organic farms or the
BBR gardens.

HOPE TO SEE YOU THIS SUMMER!

Cheers,
Allegra Brucker, Karuna Greenberg
.

Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
(805) 962-2571
sbpcnet at silcom.com

www.sbpermaculture.org

"We are like trees, we must create new leaves, in new directions, in order
to grow." - Anonymous