[Sdpg] Earth Activist Training

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sat Apr 12 19:58:53 PDT 2003

Re: Earth Activist Training:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Earth Activist Training: Learn how to create the world you want to live
in.  Starhawk and Penny Livingston-Stark present a unique two-week,
residential, intensive course that combines permaculture, effective
activism, nature awareness, and earth-based spirituality.  April 26 - May
10 (late registrations are being accepted).  Location: western Sonoma
County, California.  Cost: $1000-$1500 sliding scale (sorry, all work-trade
scholarships have been awarded, but payment plan or loans are still
available).  Details:
<http://www.permacultureinstitute.com/eat>www.permacultureinstitute<http://www.permacultureinstitute.com/eat>.com/eat.
Questions?
<mailto:mer at starhawk.org>mer at starhawk<mailto:mer at starhawk.org>.org or
voicemail 707-583-2300, ext 119.  Can't make this session?  Next EAT is
January, 2004.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi friends,

It's a mere two weeks to the next Earth Activist Training session.  And we
find ourselves in a bit of a pickle.  The short version: we're asking your
help to find more participants for THIS session, April 26 to May 10, and
we're offering a solid incentive -- cash.  For real.  Read on...

The Deal:
If you convince a friend to enroll in Earth Activist Training -- for this
session only, right now -- we'll give you a commission.  (If this were
Congress, it'd be called a "kickback.")  We will give you $50 for a friend
who enrolls at $1000 tuition level.  $75 for a friend who enrolls at $1200
level.  $100 for a friend who enrolls at $1500 level.  We find that our
best "promo" is word of mouth -- our friends' recommendation to their
friends.  Rather than spend more money on more advertising with iffy
results, we decided to "sow it in our own circles."  Hey, you could even
use it as a fundraiser for your organization.

The Pickle:
Usually EAT has 40-50 participants, and even waiting lists.  As we roll
into our fifth session, things are different.  We had a much shorter lead
time for this session.  The economy is taking a dive (aside: hey, how 'bout
that $75 billion tab at the Bush Boys Cafe?).  The world situation is far
crazier than ever.  And of course, the war has taken a huge amount of
everyone's energy.  I had the luck to send out our major promotional
mailing (weeks in preparation) so that it hit national progressive
mailboxes right around March 20, when the war started.  Then I had an
unusually high number of early enrollees drop -- reasons ranged from "just
lost my job" to "exhausted from so much peace work."  Add it all up, and
for the first time, we are short.  Penny, Starhawk, and I decided to go
ahead with this session, as we are committed to EAT and feel responsible to
all those who have rearranged their lives, bought plane tickets, and are
excitedly looking forward to this.  But we are doing so at a deficit, and
that's not sustainable.  (By the way, I'm hearing from other educational
programs that everyone's enrollments are way down, not just us.)  Desperate
times require desperate solutions.  Thus, our last-minute recruitment
drive: aka: "kickbacks." I would love to have 10 more people, and I have
room for 25.

The Fine Print:
Obviously this kind of offer could be abused.  This is real money.  So
here's the rules:
* This is for NEW enrollments only.  Cannot be retroactively applied to
existing registrations, sorry.
* Kickback is for THIS session only, April 26 - May 10.  One time offer,
folks.  Does not apply to enrollments for next session, January 2004
(although we're  _always_  happy to have your friends).
* Your friend must enroll at regular tuition levels, sliding scale
$1000-1500.  We have no more work-trade scholarships left for this session
-- really.
* Deadline is right around the corner.  It's challenging, yes.  That is why
we're making the offer.  So please talk to your pals now.
* I will send you a check after your friend has paid in full and checks
have cleared.  If your friend pays right away, then it'll be quick.  If
your friend signs up for the payment plan, it may be awhile, but I won't
forget.
* Make sure your friend TELLS me, when enrolling, that s/he was referred by
you or your organization -- that's your responsibility.  Do I have your
full name (for check) and correct mailing address?
* We're making this offer to our friends, colleagues, neighbors, alumni,
and new students.  You can forward it on to your friends, but I suggest
that you not spam total strangers with this.  I'm leery of weird emails
from seedy people with no connection to the EAT program, Starhawk, or
Penny, (or me).  Ours is a legitimate offer for legitimate folks.

Any questions, please contact me, Mer, EAT coordinator.
<mailto:mer at starhawk.org>mer at starhawk<mailto:mer at starhawk.org>.org
707-583-2300 ext 119 (voicemail)

If you'd like flyers, I'd be happy to mail you some.  If you like, use our
current announcement, above.

Thanks for your help -- and here's to creating an abundant world for all.

cheers, Mer