[Sdpg] Portland, OR - Village Building Convergence updates! May 9-18

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Mon Apr 14 08:02:38 PDT 2003

Questions can be directed to Jenny Leis at 503.232.0010 x25 or Diane
Back at 503.233.2973
Subject: Village Building Convergence updates!

        ********************Village Building Convergence
********************
        ****************************May 9-18,
2003****************************
        ************************www.cityrepair.org/vbc
************************

        In this announcement you will find:

        1) Updates about the VBC
        2) Registration form
        3) Housing needs/wants
        4) The Poster!
        5) RIPE benefit dinner
        6) Movie/music fundraiser
        7) Ecotrust Panel Discussion on Practical Applications of Natural
Building & Permaculture
        8) Volunteer wish list
        9) Donations/materials wish list

        1) Village Building Convergence: Human-Scale Community Action at
the Urban Crossroads
        See our website for more information (it will be updated by
Monday!!). http://www.cityrepair.org/vbc

        We are just five-weeks from our ten-day (May 9-18) celebration of
learning and action surrounding
        the transformation of six neighborhood intersections into public
squares!

        Hundreds of volunteers, dozens of non-profits, and handfuls of
City bureaus are sharing their skills
        and interests to create this event.  It truly is a convergence of
ideas and action geared toward
        empowering ourselves to create reflections of our local culture,
economy and ecology in our shared
        public places.

        The Convergence will feature a week of hands-on workshops
facilitated by leaders in both
        Natural Building and Permaculture from throughout North America.
Workshops will consist of
        producing permanent intersection murals, play areas, benches &
kiosks made from natural materials,
        all within the urban terrain of Southeast Portland.  Sites are
located in Buckman,
        Hosford-Abernathy, Richmond, Sellwood and Sunnyside communities
of SE Portland.  We will have
        many chances to tour other sites during the weeks events.

        Presenters include Joseph Kennedy of Builders Without Borders,
Mark Lakeman of the City
        Repair Project, Penny Livingston-Stark from the Permaculture
Institute of Northern California,
        Mark Lamberth of the Natural Building Collaborative, Richard
Register of Ecocity Builders,
        Jonathan Rowe of Tomales Bay Institute, Paula Noel a dramaturge
specializing in ancestral
        connections, Stuart Cowan of Sustainable Systems Design, Janell
Kapoor of Kleiwerks School of
        Natural Building, Milenko Matanovic from Pomegranate, and
Starhawk world-renowned author,
        spiritual innovator, and activist.

        The Village Building Convergence is sponsored by Southeast Uplift
Neighborhood Program, The
        City Repair Project and KBOO Community Radio 90.7fm. See our
website (updated by Monday) for
        more information: www.cityrepair.org/vbc.  You can also contact
Jenny at 503-232-0010 x25 or
        jenny at southeastuplift.org.  Contact Ashlee for volunteer and
registration information at
        503-232-0010 x18 or vbc at southeastuplift.org.

        2) Registration:  The daytime workshops are free, but please
register so we can coordinate
        volunteers.  For out-of-towners, registration fee includes all
day and evening events, housing and
        dinners.  Please contact us with any special eating needs; meals
are vegetarian.  Registration is $190
        by April 15. and $30 per day or $270 for entire week.  Send check
or money order to Southeast
        Uplift, 3534 SE Main Street, Portland OR 97214.  Make check
payable to SEUL, note VBC in the
        memo field -- all fees are completely tax deductible as this is a
501(c)3 non-profit organization!
        Space for Work-trade is limited.  Must be able to arrive in
Portland no later than Thursday, May
        8th.

        Evening presentations are sliding scale -  $10 at the door or $80
for a week-long pass.  Tickets
        available at Southeast Uplift, 3534 SE Main Street, Portland OR
97214.  Contact Ashlee for further
        details about registration at 503.232.0010 x18 or email her at
vbc at southeastuplift.org. Check for
        updates on our website, www.cityrepair.org/vbc.

        Workshop Registration Form
        Please copy this form and e-mail your responses to
vbc at southeastuplift.org or call us at
        503-232-0010 x18 and leave us this information in a message. We
will contact you to acknowledge
        receipt of your registration information, and will update you on
details when they become available.

        Name:
        Address:
        Phone:
        Email:
        Please note the intersection you would like to support:
        Share-it Square 19th and Alder/Washington       Mirador
        8th and Ankeny  33rd & Salmon           47th and Ivon

        1. Names of any other participants (including ages of children,
if applicable):
        2. Dates you are interested in volunteering (May 10 - May 17):
        3. Do you have any prior building, gardening, artist experience:
        4. Lunches throughout the Convergence will be potluck style, with
beverages and snacks provided.
        5. Would you be interested in providing housing to an out-of-town
builder coming to Portland for
        the Convergence?  If you are from out of town, do you need
housing?

        3) Hey Portlanders!  Would you be interested in providing housing
to an out-of-town visitor coming
        to Portland for the Convergence?  Please copy this form and email
back to vbc at southeastuplift.org.

        Hosting a visitor for the Village Building Convergence!
        Please provide the following information:
        1.  Host Name(s):
        2.  Names and ages of other people in family:
        3.  Address:
        4.  Phone Number:
        5.  Number of people you are able to accommodate:
        6.  Number of nights accommodations are available:
        7.  Type of accommodations (private bedroom, shared room, couch,
floor, private bath?):
        8.  Any pets?
        9.  Smoking or non-smoking household?
        10.  Transportation available to sites?  Evening Events?
        11.  Please list any other preferences or details:

        4) Our beautiful poster is hot off the press and ready to go.
For Portlanders who want to hang some
        posters around town, you can pick up the posters at two
locations: during business hours at Southeast
        Uplift (3534 SE Main) or this weekend on Jenny's front porch
(3737 SE Caruthers, one block N of
        Division).  There will be a map there so you can highlight where
you are postering. Thanks!

        If you are out of town and want us to send you posters to hang in
your area, please send your
        address and number of posters that you want to Jenny at
jenny at southeastuplift.org.

        5) The organizers of the Village Building Convergence are pleased
to announce a benefit dinner at
        Ripe on Sunday, April 13th at 6pm.  You are invited to join us
for Ripe's famous "family supper."
        The evening will include dinner, drinks and desert. Cost is $50
per person.

        In case you haven't had the opportunity to experience one of
these memorable dinners, this is your
        chance. Please reply to Lisa at lisa_libby at hotmail.com if you are
interested in attending. Seating is
        limited.

        After dinner, guests are encourage to join us downstairs at the
Gotham Bldg Coffee Shop for drinks
        and entertainment. All proceeds will benefit the Village Building
Convergence, to be held May
        9-18th.

        If you haven't heard of Ripe, please read on....
        What is Ripe?
        Ripe is:
        a small local company that to date is best know for its
        family style dinners called "family supper", they are also well
established caterers, and run a humble
        little coffee shop, here are the details:

        Family Supper
        In march 2001 we began a series of informal dinners held in our
home twice monthly for around
        twenty guests, after serving over 1000 guests in our living room,
we moved to our new location on
        N interstate, expanding our concept into a restaurant, for lack
of a better word...
        ..
        since march 2002 we have been serving up to 45 diners,
        3 nights a week in our spacious open kitchen...
        all our guests arrive at the same time and sit together at three
long wooden tables there are no
        waiters, just cooks bringing out large platters of food and
earthenware pots to be passed and eaten
        family style...
        there is only one menu, though we encourage people ! to alert us
to any dietary restrictions in
        advance.

        6) On Saturday, April 26th there will be a fun(d)raiser at the
Fresh Pot, located at 4001 N.
        Mississippi Ave.  The raiser will be an evening of film and
dance.  Doors open at 7-7.30 pm and
        film (Ni Una Mas), a story about resistance and community
building on the bombed out Vieques
        Island of Puerto Rico, starts around 8.  There will be quick
intros by Mark Lakeman and the film
        developer Jonathan Nastasi.  Around 9.30 pm there will be dancing
provided by a band to be named
        in the next few days or a d.j., either will be sure to please.
Tickets will be $20-50 for the film and
        music, or $5-10 for the music only.  Every one please ask people
you know if they would like to
        come, especially if they can throw down the 20-50 bucks for the
film.

        7) Half-day Workshop at Ecotrust
        Practical Applications of Natural Building & Permaculture
        Panel Discussion:

        The Village Building Convergence invites you to join us on
Wednesday, May 14, 2003 in a half day
        workshop in Portland as their expert panel shares real-life
experiences applying natural building
        concepts to commercial, residential and urban projects. The panel
begins at noon and will discuss the
        following topics:

        *         Understand how to integrate aspects of natural building
into your projects
        *         Learn the costs & benefits of choosing natural building
techniques
        *         Navigate building codes & other obstacles
        *         Find out what's practical to do today; what's possible
for the future
        *         Add the 'unordinary' to your projects for better
marketability

        Key speakers include Joseph Kennedy of Builders Without Borders,
Penny Livingston-Stark  from
        the Permaculture Institute of Northern California, and Mark
Lamberth of the Natural Building
        Collaborative. The workshop will be held at the Jean Vollum
National Capital Center, Second Floor
        Conference Center located at 721 NW 9th Avenue.  The schedule is
as follows:

        Wednesday, May 14, 2003
        Noon-3 p.m.    Panel discussion and Q&A
        3:30 - 5 p.m.   Tour of local sites of permaculture in action,
including People's Co-op

        $30-50 sliding scale
        Presented by the Village Building Convergence
        For more information see www.cityrepair.org/vbc
        Sponsored by Southeast Uplift Neighborhood Program, The City
Repair Project and KBOO
        Community Radio 90.7fm

        For registration, contact:
        Diane Back, Coordinator
        Village ! Building Convergence
        dianemback at msn.com
        Registration deadline: May 9, 2003
        (Registration is tax-deductible)

        8) Volunteer wishlist:
        Contact Ashlee at 503.232.0010 x18 or vbc at southeastuplift.org.

        Assistant Site Coordinators
        Construction Helpers
        Carpenters
        People to Poster/Flyer
        People to write articles for magazines, newspapers etc.
        People to make phone calls to support the publicity team
        Help with acquiring material or food donations
        Massage Therapists, Yoga Teachers, etc.
        Errand Runners/Rovers
        Chain saw artist

        9) Donations/lending wishlist:
        For any leads, please contact Peter at 503-232-7804 or
katonpg at yahoo.com.

        BUILDING/PLANT MATERIALS
        1)  3-4 tons of Sand
        2)  2 tons of "half man" and "full man" rock
        3)  Finishing materials (Linseed Oil, Turpentine, Pigment,
Beeswax, Oxides, natural oils, Stains,
        Paints)
        4)  Clay-rich Earth
        5)  Straw
        6)  Gravel
        7)  Plants- Native and/or drought resistant.
        8)  Concrete Chunks and urbanite
        9)  Hand Tools.
        10) Power Tools.
        11)  Latex gloves
        12)  Work gloves
        13)  Dust Masks
        14)  Caution Tape
        15) Wheelbarrows
        VENUE MATERIALS
        1)  Film Developing
        2)  Slide Film
        3)  Cell phones with enough free minutes to use all week
        4)  Healthy Slide projectors
        5)  Stereo and/or boom box
        6)  Folding Chairs  (Qty.  400)
        7)  Long Folding tables

        MISCELLANEOUS
        1)  VW Bus/truck/van
        2)  Any office supplies (tape, markers, sidewalk chalk twine
etc.)

        Thank you to everyone supporting this exciting project!  What
fun!
        See you all in May!

        ********************Village Building Convergence
********************
        ****************************May 9-18,
2003****************************
        ************************www.cityrepair.org/vbc
************************

in time of daffodils
(who know the goal of living is to grow)
forgetting why, remember how

in time of lilacs
who proclaim the aim of waking is to dream,
remember so (forgetting seem)
~ e e cummings

--

"Life is like photography ...