[Sdpg] 4 elements farm-intern positions available SLO CA

Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson lakinroe at silcom.com
Sun May 18 20:44:15 PDT 2003

FOUR ELEMENTS FARM
                                            INTERN POSITIONS

WHO WE ARE;
         Four Elements Farm, Center for Sustainable design, is an
organization that was founded in 2002.  It was created to 1) provide a
holistic model of sustainable living space; 2) educate and raise
consciousness of the public about the ecological dangers to our planet;
and
3) teach the value and practical skills of sustainable living using an
experiential approach.  This 47-acre farm is located in the foothills
between Morro Bay and Atascadero in San Luis Obispo County. It is in the

process of transforming a battered homestead into a holistic model of
sustainable living that encompasses agriculture, renewable energy
sources,
ecological building practices, and natural waste treatment solutions.
The
founders of Four Elements Farm are three optimistic, young, inspired,
educated and organized individuals dedicated to the preservation of
healthy
societies and the environment.
WHAT WE OFFER; We currently have two full time intern positions
available;
1.      focus on sustainable agricultural practices, help with small
(2-3 acre)
commercial organic agriculture project, maintaining the main garden and
permaculture style orchard which provide the residents and visitors with

healthy, nutritious produce, and work in the herbal garden used for
culinary
and pharmaceutical value.
2.      Focus on natural building techniques, this season we will be
continuing
work on our rammed earth/ straw bale house, resident solar water system
and
straw bale greenhouse. Methods for construction will include site
positioning, working with salvaged construction materials, rammed earth,

straw bale, adobe, cob, earthen plasters and natural paints called
“alise”.

Interns from both focus should be able to be involved in both
agriculture
and natural building to some degree. The position will suit an inspired
person who is seeking life on a sustainable farm, not just a work
exchange
opportunity.
WHEN AND HOW LONG; The intern positions are full time, a flexible 30
hours a
week, for the spring to fall season (may to oct). We are open to shorter

stays, but please contact us for more details.
EXCHANGE; in return for intern work, housing (tee pee, tent or shared
room
with other intern in main house) and food (organic garden veggies and
fruit
and bulk order) will be provided.

Four Elements Farm
Internship Protocol
Effective January 2003

1)      All interns will have a two week trial period.  This is so the
intern and
the farm can have a chance to get to know each other before any full
commitment is made.

2)      Upon arrival, all interns will be given a full tour of the
property and
an orientation to the following procedures:
•       Laundry
•       Chickens and Pigs
•       Garden Watering Schedule
•       Food
•       House Cleaning Guide
•       Wood Shop
•       Composting Toilet
•       Work Schedule
•       First Aid Kit

3)      Interns will share bulk food in the kitchen.  They are welcome
to any
garden produce as well.  Any extra food will be purchased by interns for

their own use.

4)      Work schedule will be determined week by week.  Tasks and
projects will
be laid out with hours and who will be doing them.

5)      Smoking is only allowed in a specified area of the property
outside of
the house.  All Butts are collected and thrown away.

6)      Local phone calls and internet use are available for use when
they are
free- limit to half hour intervals.  Long distance phone calls are not
provided.

7)      Timeliness is important.  When time commitments are made, they
must be
honored.

8)      Interns are encouraged to borrow and read books, after asking to
do so.
The books must be handled with care and returned to their shelves.

Thank you for cooperating with these guidelines.  We are excited to
include
you in our community, and we invite any suggestions you may have.  Let
any
of us know if you have questions or concerns during your stay here.
Have
Fun!

                 Peace,
                               Four Elements

Bâd-o khâk-o âb-o âtash bandehand bâ
man-o tow mordeh, bâ haq zendehand

Wind and Earth and Water and Fire are
obedient creatures, they are dead to you
and me, but alive at God’s presence
--Rumi

this list, visit: